Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anyone use the diva cup, moon cup , or cloth pads?

Posted by   + Show Post

How well does it work? How much money did you spend upfront? Did you or would you go back to disposables? 

So it's not exactly news or hot but anything could be considered a topic, maybe.  ; ) 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I tried a cup once, I don't remember the name.... I had the hardest time getting that damn thing back out HAHA never again.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I um tried the Diva Cup and frankly, I don't have the stomach for it. I felt like I was portraying a victim in a new series: CSI in My Pants. I take up a lot of causes but the environment is gonna have to take one for the team while I continue to use tampons.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I work, and have never had an issue...

And never had a smell issue either...

Quoting lga1965:

Oh wow! When my mom was young in the 1920's and they used cloth pads, all women hated it. Because they had to. And because they were drenched in a short time and they stunk too. If I had used those cloth thingies, I would have been changing them every half hour . I wouldn't have been able to leave my home.

Are you serious ? I am all for natural products too....but, this is ridiculous.

The cup thing would have overflowed too often, I am, sure....

DO you ladies stay home?

Geeeee.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I recently got a Diva Cup and I am very happy with it.  I think I spent $30 on it, plus I bought some Diva Wash (the special soap to clean it, though you don't have to use their soap).  Mine might have been a bit more spendy because I got it from a natural foods type store - the only one in the area to carry the Diva Cup.

Anyway, it was a little odd at first using it and it took some practice to get used to the insertion, but I think by my 2nd complete period I was doing good with it.  If you want to go that route, just make sure to read up on their website and read the insert as well for good tips and tricks.  I used to use tampons all the time because I just hate pads, any pads.  But I'm definitely liking the Diva Cup more than my tampons.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I tried the diva cup for a few months, and frankly, when I took it out, it looked like a crime scene in my pants...well the whole bathroom.  I couldn't handle it so I went back to tampax.  I still have the diva cup if anyone wants to offer me pointers (hint, hint)

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Found a couple sites online that sell sea sponges for menstruation:

http://www.fresh-moon.com/category_7/Sea-Sponges.php

http://www.jadeandpearl.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18

*****Edited to add the company I bought my cloth pads from, more than 20 years ago, when they first started:

http://gladrags.com/

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I use the MeLuna cup and i LOVE it. It comes in a softer more pliable material than the Diva so after the first few seconds you don't even feel it anymore. I've had a lot less lady parts problems since the switch to the cup, pads give me rashes something awful and tampons irritate my cytolytic vaginosis causing it to happen more often and more severely.

The MeLuna cups come in 2 different material pliabilities and with 3 different styles of handles to choose from, multiple colors as well lol. So plenty of choice and ability to make sure you get exactly what you want and what's most comfortable for you.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Oh wow! When my mom was young in the 1920's and they used cloth pads, all women hated it. Because they had to. And because they were drenched in a short time and they stunk too. If I had used those cloth thingies, I would have been changing them every half hour . I wouldn't have been able to leave my home.

Are you serious ? I am all for natural products too....but, this is ridiculous.

The cup thing would have overflowed too often, I am, sure....

DO you ladies stay home?

Geeeee.

Perhaps you should read up on something before making overly assumptious remarks on it.  A cup will hold a lot more than a tampon absorbs - even with the ultra plus size tampon.  I'm pretty darn heavy on one day of each period.  I used to use the ultra plus tampon (the purple color in OB brand) and would still have to change it every hour.  With a Diva Cup, on my very heaviest day, I can go at least two hours before having to empty it.  Most of the time 4 hours.  On my other days I don't have to empty it at all the entire time I am at work.

Disposable tampons and pads make it look like there is a lot more flow than there really is.  You might be surprised just how little actual flow there is during the average menstrual shed.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I um tried the Diva Cup and frankly, I don't have the stomach for it. I felt like I was portraying a victim in a new series: CSI in My Pants. I take up a lot of causes but the environment is gonna have to take one for the team while I continue to use tampons.

I do have to admit, when you use a Diva Cup, you see the blood and other material for what it really is.  It's not diluted, so to speak, by the tampon or the pad.  It can be a bit shocking if you're not prepared for it.  But as for a mess, I only get a little blood on my fingers during removal and insertion.  Nothing soap and water can't handle.  If the contents are getting anywhere else (besides in the toilet) then it's possible that removal is being done wrong.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I will stay with my disposable products

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)