Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Girl Scout Pledge

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

On my honor, I will try:
pledge To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Girl Scout Law

I will do my best to be:
Honest and fair,
Friendly and helpful,
Considerate and caring,
Courageous and strong, and
Responsible for what I say and do,
And to respect myself and others,
Respect authority,
Use resources wisely,
Make the world a better place, and
Be a sister to every Girl Scout

Thoughts on including God in a pledge by a secular organization? If you have a scout, do they say this pledge? If your child was in the GS would you allow them to say this pledge?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Anyone?

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I do not have a problem with using "God" in the Pledge. I was a girl scout, my dd was a girl scout and I was a GS Leader. This was never brought up as an issue. It was not brought up at all. There were several girls with different faiths/practices but no one ever brought any issue to me while I was a leader.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I do not have a problem with using "God" in the Pledge. I was a girl scout, my dd was a girl scout and I was a GS Leader. This was never brought up as an issue. It was not brought up at all. There were several girls with different faiths/practices but no one ever brought any issue to me while I was a leader.

My daughter is a Brownie, and this is the pledge she says. It doesn't bother me because we believe in God. I never really thought about the pledge until a friend of mine whose daughter is in a a different troop told me they omit God and use "community" so they don't discriminate or make anyone uncomfortable.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

My daughter is a Brownie (bridging to Junior next year) and I don't have a problem with it.  They are supposed to say the pledge at every meeting, but sometimes it gets skipped because we generally have a lot on our agenda.

Speaking as a co-leader for our troop, if a girl's parents objected to her saying the word "God", we would simply allow her to skip that part.  I have no idea what the official position would be on it, but our troop wouldn't make a stink.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I was raised basically without religion. We never really discussed it. I omitted the god part silently as a Girl Scout and no one said boo about it.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Girl Scouts and Faith

My Promise, My Faith Pin

Everything in Girl Scouting is based on the Girl Scout Promise and Law. The Girl Scout Law includes many of the principles and values common to most faiths. Thus, while a secular organization, Girl Scouts has, since the movement began, encouraged girls to take spiritual journeys via their faiths' religious recognitions.

Girls of all grade levels can now earn the My Promise, My Faith pin developed by Girl Scouts of the USA. This pin, which girls can earn once a year, complements existing religious recognitions and allows all girls to further strengthen the connection between their faith and Girl Scouts (see images of the pins below). A girl earns the My Promise, My Faith pin by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and directly tying it to tenets of her faith. Requirements for this pin are included in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting for all levels, see a summary (PDF).

To locate your local Girl Scout council, visit the GSUSA Council Finder.

Religious Recognitions

Religious recognitions are created by national religious organizations/committees to encourage the spiritual growth of their youth members and reinforce many of the values integral to Girl Scouting. While My Promise, My Faith helps girls connect Girl Scouting with their faith, the religious recognitions programs help girls grow stronger in and learn more specifically about their faith.

Each religious organization/committee develops and administers its own program. The To Serve God religious recognitions brochure shows the religious recognitions that have been created by various faith groups. You can find this brochure, a video that explains the religious recognitions programs, and other resources for collaborating with the faith community at P.R.A.Y. Publishing: http://www.praypub.org/partner_gsusa.htm.

Some religious organizations are not affiliated with P.R.A.Y. or may not have a national office; to learn about their religious recognitions, contact their local leaders.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

My daughter is a Brownie, and this is the pledge she says. It doesn't bother me because we believe in God. I never really thought about the pledge until a friend of mine whose daughter is in a a different troop told me they omit God and use "community" so they don't discriminate or make anyone uncomfortable.

when I was a GS leader- if this was an issue for any one family, I would have done the same thing. But- it never was. All of the families were either Christian or Jewish and were active in their respective faiths.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I don't actually care.  Participation isn't mandatory.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Meh, I don't really care either way.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Girl Scouts and Faith

My Promise, My Faith Pin

Everything in Girl Scouting is based on the Girl Scout Promise and Law. The Girl Scout Law includes many of the principles and values common to most faiths. Thus, while a secular organization, Girl Scouts has, since the movement began, encouraged girls to take spiritual journeys via their faiths' religious recognitions.

Girls of all grade levels can now earn the My Promise, My Faith pin developed by Girl Scouts of the USA. This pin, which girls can earn once a year, complements existing religious recognitions and allows all girls to further strengthen the connection between their faith and Girl Scouts (see images of the pins below). A girl earns the My Promise, My Faith pin by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and directly tying it to tenets of her faith. Requirements for this pin are included in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting for all levels, see a summary (PDF).

To locate your local Girl Scout council, visit the GSUSA Council Finder.

Religious Recognitions

Religious recognitions are created by national religious organizations/committees to encourage the spiritual growth of their youth members and reinforce many of the values integral to Girl Scouting. While My Promise, My Faith helps girls connect Girl Scouting with their faith, the religious recognitions programs help girls grow stronger in and learn more specifically about their faith.

Each religious organization/committee develops and administers its own program. The To Serve God religious recognitions brochure shows the religious recognitions that have been created by various faith groups. You can find this brochure, a video that explains the religious recognitions programs, and other resources for collaborating with the faith community at P.R.A.Y. Publishing: http://www.praypub.org/partner_gsusa.htm.

Some religious organizations are not affiliated with P.R.A.Y. or may not have a national office; to learn about their religious recognitions, contact their local leaders.

Thanks for the info. We are new to GS. My daughter just started in August and this is her first troop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)