Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Right wing' is now an insult?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 98 Replies

Bill Maher & Howard Dean Defend Obama Inauguration From GOP Panelists (VIDEO)

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted:   |  Updated: 01/28/2013 1:28 am EST

On Friday night, Bill Maher hosted his first show of President Obama's second term. But based on the panel discussion which included the liberal former Vermont governor Howard Dean as well as conservatives GOPAC president David Avella and Republican pollster Kristen Soltis, one might think the election was still raging on.

Avella blasted Obama's inauguration speech. After pointing out that Obama made a direct dig at House Republicans by decrying "name-calling" despite doing his own name-calling just a week later, Avella was questioned by Maher exactly what name-calling Obama participated in.

"Well, he talked about right-wing Republicans..." Avella said.

"Really? That's a name-call? 'Right-wing' is a name-call?" Maher asked, to Avella's affirmation. "I got so many worse than that."

Maher asked for polite alternatives to calling someone "right-wing," to which Avella replied, "You could say 'conservatives,' you could say, 'my friends on the other side of the aisle.'"

Soltis agreed that Obama's speech was too partisan.

"The theme of this speech was 'you didn't build that,' but this time it's not a gaffe. It's the speech," she said.

Dean took issue. "I thought the speech was something Americans ought to embrace, which was equal rights for every person in this country," he said, to much audience applause.

"I thought it was American," he continued. "And it's about time the President of the United States stood up to all this crazy crap on the right wing."

Watch the clip from Friday's "Real Time" above, in which the panel also has a spirited discussion over Hillary Clinton's testimony about the Benghazi tragedy.

Video at the LINK

Do you think calling someone right, or left, wing is an insult or is this just silly?

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jalex
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM

generally, yes.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I was certainly insulted when someone called me that once (I know, right? homeschool related). 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Howard Dean using "Crazy crap" to Describe anyone's views is laughable. That is the epitome of "Takes One to Know one"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting jalex:

generally, yes.

Since when? If that's the case I've been insulted way more than I realized.

I thought it was just a description of ones views or a like minded group.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes when coming from the left I think they often intend it as an insult.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Howard Dean using "Crazy crap" to Describe anyone's views is laughable. That is the epitome of "Takes One to Know one"

Not at all the point. Is the term right or left wing an insult?

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Friday, it depends on how the terms are used. When said with a sneer of superior disdain, yes, they are insulting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Quoting soonergirl980:

Is that similar to how most Republican/Conservatives spit out the term Liberal? What about when someone on the right uses left wing?

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Friday, it depends on how the terms are used. When said with a sneer of superior disdain, yes, they are insulting.

Anything said with a sneer or superiority can be insulting but they were saying right wing is inherently insulting.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Yes. I think it depends on how you use it.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Is that similar to how most Republican/Conservatives spit out the term Liberal? What about when someone on the right uses left wing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)