Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

HS to simulate gun fire during emergency drill.....

Posted by   + Show Post

High school to conduct safety drill with simulated gunfire

Some parents of students at Cary-Grove High School are upset with plans for simulated gunfire during an emergency-preparedness drill.

An Illinois high school's plans for an emergency-response drill complete with simulated gunfire has some parents on edge.

Cary-Grove High School in Cary, Ill., about 45 miles northwest of Chicago, has scheduled a "Code Red" lockdown drill for Wednesday. The drill includes the firing of blanks in the hallway so that students and teachers "might be able to recognize the sound and react quickly should an active gunman situation occur," the school said in a statement on its website.

The drill will be conducted with the help of Cary police officers, who will sweep the building.

Some parents wondered whether including the simulated gunfire was going too far.

"It's probably necessary to have the 'code red' drill but not really necessary to shoot the blanks in the hallway," parent Kassy Pinter told CBS Chicago.

"If you need to run a drill, you run a drill," parent Sharon Miller told WBBM Newsradio. "They run fire drills all the time, but they don't run up and down the hallway with a flamethrower."

School officials explained how the drill will be conducted:

"The drill will begin with a public address announcement about the lockdown. After staff have secured their rooms, Cary police and administrators will sweep the building to ensure all students made it into secure locations and assess any potential issues that may become apparent from the practice. Following this, a second PA announcement will be made informing students and staff that gunfire will be simulated so that they might be able to recognize the sound and react quickly, should an active gunman situation occur.

"Following the drill, a discussion will ensue between the students and their classroom teacher. We will utilize this feedback as a building and police department to assess our security and make any necessary adjustments to our building plan. Our sole purpose for utilizing the blanks is to fully prepare our students and staff."

School officials encouraged parents to discuss the drill with their children before and after it happens.

"These drills help our students and staff to be prepared should a crisis occur, but it may cause some students to have an emotional reaction. In those cases, a parent's voice may provide reassurances of the drill's importance," the school said. "Additionally, we have trained social workers on staff who can speak directly with students."

Schools across the country have been grappling with better ways to increase security and respond to emergencies in the wake of last month's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. The massacre, carried out by 20-year-old Adam Lanza, left 20 first-graders and six adults dead. Police said Lanza also killed his mother at their Newtown home and later committed suicide as police approached the school.

——

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Replies (41-47):
bellaamore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

A child wouldn't know where EVERYONE was. They would know the emergency plan for THEIR class.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

So you'd rather no students know the emergency plan so that if something happened it would be complete chaos?

No thanks.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Guns that shoot blanks (like a starting pistol) usually are incapable of shooting real bullets...blank firing guns look real but don't hold real bullets.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Uh, no way in Hell my kid would be in school that day. A bunch of cops running around the school shooting blanks? A gun should not be discharged inside of a school AT ALL. I don't are if they are blanks. What if someone loads a weapon wrong. This is just irresponsible and going beyond what is necessary.

Thats what people thought when brandon lee died from a fatal gunshot wound, shot from a fake gun made to shoot blanks. Omeone had loaded a real bullet at some point, and it was lodged in the barrel.

All it takes is one idiot, and as we all know, mny police dont know how to properly handle thir weapons as they never o it fter merely qualifying with them. When even atf gents shoot themselves in the classroom, saying they are the only ones qualified to shoot said weapon and tht it isnt loaded, i dont know that id trust it either.

I also believe that in the case of a student being the shooter, it isnt smart to let ll students know of emergency plans. Thats counterproductive.

Ive already answered this.

But, to play devils advocate, how about this questionfor you:

How would you feel knowing their was a shooter in your childs grade, and that they knew exactly where everyone would be and where to find them, how to get to them, etc?

Im not saying i dont support drills like these, just that theres also a counterproductive side.

This is why i specified the red part. Everyone was referring to everyone in that grade/ class. 

I asked how you would feel if the shooter was in your childs grade/class and knew how to find victims.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I would know that there were 16 other people who also know the emergency plan and could over power the ONE because they were prepared.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

A child wouldn't know where EVERYONE was. They would know the emergency plan for THEIR class.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

So you'd rather no students know the emergency plan so that if something happened it would be complete chaos?

No thanks.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Guns that shoot blanks (like a starting pistol) usually are incapable of shooting real bullets...blank firing guns look real but don't hold real bullets.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Uh, no way in Hell my kid would be in school that day. A bunch of cops running around the school shooting blanks? A gun should not be discharged inside of a school AT ALL. I don't are if they are blanks. What if someone loads a weapon wrong. This is just irresponsible and going beyond what is necessary.

Thats what people thought when brandon lee died from a fatal gunshot wound, shot from a fake gun made to shoot blanks. Omeone had loaded a real bullet at some point, and it was lodged in the barrel.

All it takes is one idiot, and as we all know, mny police dont know how to properly handle thir weapons as they never o it fter merely qualifying with them. When even atf gents shoot themselves in the classroom, saying they are the only ones qualified to shoot said weapon and tht it isnt loaded, i dont know that id trust it either.

I also believe that in the case of a student being the shooter, it isnt smart to let ll students know of emergency plans. Thats counterproductive.

How would you feel knowing their was a shooter in your childs grade, and that they knew exactly where everyone would be and where to find them, how to get to them, etc?

Im not saying i dont support drills like these, just that theres also a counterproductive side.

This is why i specified the red part. Everyone was referring to everyone in that grade/ class. 

I asked how you would feel if the shooter was in your childs grade/class and knew how to find victims.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I would know that there were 16 other people who also know the emergency plan and could over power the ONE because they were prepared.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

No thanks.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

So, before they would know who the shooter was, they would know that they needed to overpower them? This is what im saying. With a gun, there is no overpowering, someone gellbent on shooting and killing people will do so, especially if they thought people would try and overpower them. Kwim?

Shooters dont announce before pulling out their gun that they have one in order for people to plan. One minute they are just a student, the next, a killer. 

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I'm surprised this hasnt generated more discussion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM
It slightly irritates me when admins repost articles/topics have already been posted. I'm not retyping the answers I typed here in the other thread.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I hadn't noticed they reposted it. It's funny since they featured this post that they wouldn't notice it existed. LOL

Quoting punky3175:

It slightly irritates me when admins repost articles/topics have already been posted. I'm not retyping the answers I typed here in the other thread.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe I need to give it a more catchy title....like "Obama plans to take all your guns!"  That might get some traffic in here. LOL

Quoting punky3175:

I'm surprised this hasnt generated more discussion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)