Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Quoting Citygirlk:

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time?

It might well be the influence of the industry that her grown up around celebrity and corporate image manipulation, that exchanges publicity in return for donations.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM
This

Quoting godsgirl26:

I'm Christian and i sure the heck don't tell anyone what i do. That is because its between me and god.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Christmas eve 2012 someone left a present for my dd we had just got home from doing Christmas with the family and I felt it was a blessing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM

At the same time, please consider the people who are following the counsel to keep it quiet.  Unless you are at the right place at the right time, you won't know about it. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

You're making a blanket statement. My husband and I give anonymously to people all the time. And we do not claim it on our taxes. Real giving is giving without looking for anything in return.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Your post reminded me of something that my dad told me once (he was a very devoted Presbyterian).  He talked about how my aunt & uncle (his brother) always "wore their religion on their sleeve" and how he found that disgraceful.  My aunt & uncle do kind of flaunt their religion and how they remain true to it.  I remember the bible passage where Jesus basically said to go to the inner-most room of your house, where no one can see you, to pray.  Don't pray out on the streets where everyone can see you.  Something to that effect anyway, I don't quote the bible.

I think charity is the same way.  Do your charity, but don't flaunt it for everyone to see.  God will see, and he is the only one that matters.

I don't flaunt my charity.  If people ask me directly I'm not going to hide it or lie about it, but I don't go flaunting it or showing it off.  I just do it.  That's the way it should be.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I enjoying giving anonymously. Two days before Christmas, I taped some money and a letter to a neighbor's door, and said you have just received a random act of kindess, Merry Christmas. They'll never know it was me. I'll probably do it next year too.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome.

Quoting mmtosam06:

Christmas eve 2012 someone left a present for my dd we had just got home from doing Christmas with the family and I felt it was a blessing.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I tell people about my charity of choice...for one because I think it's just so awesome and secondly...I had never heard of the particular disease before and the more people I tell...the more awareness.

I don't tell what I give...I just mention the charity/fundraisers.

Maevelyn
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM

yeah. We know but they don't let us kick people out. Trust me, I'd rather crazy homophobes didn't advertise their Christianity either. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured