Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM

That's not what I'm trying to do. I just so happened to notice it. Like remember after sandy when mitt Romney made it his mission to show the world that he was donating food, it's thing s like that, that I have been noticing with people who call them selves Christian. The same goes for prayer.

Quoting EireLass:

You're making a blanket statement. My husband and I give anonymously to people all the time. And we do not claim it on our taxes. Real giving is giving without looking for anything in return.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I think it depends with what heart you're doing it with and the context. For example, (not bragging here) but I run my churches food bank. I can't do that anonymously. People have to know who they can reach if they need food. I also encourage other people to volunteer.

If you do it with a heart of love and to help, I don't believe it's a sin.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kayla-Kay
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
It should be private. I know that within my household the only people that know what's going on as far as giving tithe etc are between my husband God and I. If we are having problems it between God, sometimes our pastor or designated elder, my husband, and I
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Yup. My DH and I did an incredibly good deed years and years ago. We did it completely anonymously. The people never knew. We didn't tell a single friend either. We did it to please ourselves and God, not to show off to others. We still do things like that. Random acts of giving without telling anyone. But then we also give monthly to a dog rescue and we do that for semi selfish reasons, TAX DEDUCTION BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

furbabymum
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Dude, Romney is a politician. Everything a politician does is for a reason. lol Duh!

Quoting Citygirlk:

That's not what I'm trying to do. I just so happened to notice it. Like remember after sandy when mitt Romney made it his mission to show the world that he was donating food, it's thing s like that, that I have been noticing with people who call them selves Christian. The same goes for prayer.

Quoting EireLass:

You're making a blanket statement. My husband and I give anonymously to people all the time. And we do not claim it on our taxes. Real giving is giving without looking for anything in return.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I am Christian and my donations are kept private.. I may say who I donate to if someone asked, but I never tell the amount or item

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I do not brag about it, but i will admit their are times that I get so fed up with hearing about how evil christians are and how they do not help anyone, and how it is their fault that welfare is so abused, because if they helped out more, blah blah blah, that i will say something about our charitable giving.

I don't do it as a way to say, "Look at me! Look how great i am!", but more as a fed up, tired of being the scape goat thing.  

That being said, i KNOW it is wrong to allow others enough power to get me in the flesh. And I do acknowledge that I have failed, and I do my best to be better. 

I also talk about my charitable work in an effort to inspire others in my community to get out and help others. I have had so many people tell me that they had no clue there were so many different ways they could help out. Sometimes hearing how others help is a great motivator to get you up and out there.  To be honest though, I volunteer not out of christian spirit, but out of selfishness. I LOVE using my talents to help others. I love doing something to help with issues my heart is on fire about. 

Blah, I am not doing a good job of explaining myself. I sound like a boob.

-I just saw the thing about tax deductions. We only count our tithing on our taxes. The other 15% doesn't get cited on our taxes, but we keep the reciepts and stuff just in case we ever get audited.

gammie
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I don't see it actually never have seen it.

But the only time people speak up is when liberals say you need to give more, or share the wealth, people say we are already giving.

gizmo538
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM

This ... EXACTLY.

Quoting pampire:

Because a large number of ppl (of all religions) only pick and choose the pieces of their "faith" that they choose to follow.  Also, in America esp., we are desperate for attention and external validation because we have not learned how to find validation internally.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That is true - and our Priest in my Church always talks about not letting your right hand know what your left is doing - essentially meaning give of yourself, but modestly and b/c it's for someone else's good, not for your own gain/attention, etc.....and I agree.  I also think this applies to those Christians who feel they need to push their agenda/branch of Christianity in everyone's faces....as a Catholic it's embarassing, and I know our Church does it too - I just try to live my life as close to Jesus' example as I can without getting bogged down in too many outside influences - even if they come from my own Church.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN