Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (31-40):
gonecrazi
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, boasting or braging is one of the seven deadly sins.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Is that the same guy who wouldn't let his face or name used on the news report? I remember a story..but the guy did remain anonymous...

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
caito
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

It's because they're human, and pride gets the best of all of us whether we admit it or not. Even if we're proud of a pie we baked...that "sin" exists everywhere.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Not the one I saw interviewed...

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Is that the same guy who wouldn't let his face or name used on the news report? I remember a story..but the guy did remain anonymous...

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I googled it..the only ones I saw did remain secret...

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

How was it to the detriment of the recipients?  

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I googled also and came up with Secret Santa businessman from Missouri, no name listed.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I googled it..the only ones I saw did remain secret...

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

katinahat
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I've mentioned to a few people the giving that my husband and I do, just to let them know what options are out there for them to give. Like I let them know about the Angel Tree program at Christimas, or about World Vision. It's not to brag, as I don't bringing it up unless folks are talking about ways to give. I just want to let them know what's available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN