Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM

That's good.

I still think it's harmful for the recipients. Better to use the big pile of money to make a real difference, rather than breaking it into such small amounts it can't make any difference to anyone.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I googled it..the only ones I saw did remain secret...

Quoting LindaClement:

Not the one I saw interviewed...

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Is that the same guy who wouldn't let his face or name used on the news report? I remember a story..but the guy did remain anonymous...

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM

It's a bit complicated but it boils down to the same kind of problem gamblers have, and it's not enough money to make any real difference in anyone's life.

$100 won't feed a family for a month, so it might make him feel good several hundred times, but it won't improve anyone's situation, much at all, nor for long.

It's such a small amount that the temptation is to do something frivolous with it, because it really can't make a significant difference (won't pay the morgage, probably won't even keep the lights on) ... so the 'winner' goes out and does something silly they instantly regret.

But what else is there to do with it? Sink it into the already black-hole of debt, so there is nothing new? Which one of the kids gets to go to the doctor? Do we get a small amount of a needed drug, or does everyone get food?

Plus, the Cargo Cult effect: when 'success' (a bounty, a big win) is found randomly on the street, the most likely result of that, for the 'winners' is to increase their time on the street in case it happens again.

It doesn't pull a single person out of poverty for even a day, but it makes them all feel like 'this could happen again.' Which everyone knows is incredibly unlikely.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

How was it to the detriment of the recipients?  

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Why did I even open this?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Why would you need a statement?

Quoting toomanypoodles: That's a shame.  We don't let peeps know what and where we give---and when we give our weekly offering at church, it goes into the provided envelope.  It's nobody's business but ours and our God's. 

Our pastoral staff does not have access to the giving records either---a bookkeeper keeps track of the giving and sends a statement to the individual giver quarterly---it is never shared with anyone. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM

And Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Madonna, etc etc etc. They all do it for publicity. That sort of thing is all over TV/magazines. We all see that. But I've never heard any of them speak of their religion.

Quoting Citygirlk:

That's not what I'm trying to do. I just so happened to notice it. Like remember after sandy when mitt Romney made it his mission to show the world that he was donating food, it's thing s like that, that I have been noticing with people who call them selves Christian. The same goes for prayer.

Quoting EireLass:

You're making a blanket statement. My husband and I give anonymously to people all the time. And we do not claim it on our taxes. Real giving is giving without looking for anything in return.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM

?? Giving ??

Quoting furbabymum:

Yup. My DH and I did an incredibly good deed years and years ago. We did it completely anonymously. The people never knew. We didn't tell a single friend either. We did it to please ourselves and God, not to show off to others. We still do things like that. Random acts of giving without telling anyone. But then we also give monthly to a dog rescue and we do that for semi selfish reasons, TAX DEDUCTION BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Quoting EireLass:

Why would you need a statement?

Quoting toomanypoodles:That's a shame.  We don't let peeps know what and where we give---and when we give our weekly offering at church, it goes into the provided envelope.  It's nobody's business but ours and our God's. 

Our pastoral staff does not have access to the giving records either---a bookkeeper keeps track of the giving and sends a statement to the individual giver quarterly---it is never shared with anyone. 

Some people claim their church offerings as charitable giving on their income tax report. 

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I could care less if people talk about charity they give to i don't find it weird. I'm not sure why it matters.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I agree, this was something that was taught in my church and I try to live by it.  We don't give for glory or recognition.  We give because we can and there are people in need.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

In the church I went to when I was young we didn't write our name on the collection envelope or we just put loose cash.  I am always a little surprised when people talk about tithing and imply that the church knows how much you give.  How do they know, actually?  Do people give checks or do they keep track?  I have never put my name on a donation to the church, ever.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I just hate seeing it. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I'm a Christian and I find it strange as well. We are supposed to do this privately, this includes fasting. I've seen so many Christian talk about it. I just don't understand why they do that.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)