Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (51-60):
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM

How arrogant of you to proclaim to know how a persons life will be effected by receiving an unconditional gift.

Quoting LindaClement:

It's a bit complicated but it boils down to the same kind of problem gamblers have, and it's not enough money to make any real difference in anyone's life.

$100 won't feed a family for a month, so it might make him feel good several hundred times, but it won't improve anyone's situation, much at all, nor for long.

It's such a small amount that the temptation is to do something frivolous with it, because it really can't make a significant difference (won't pay the morgage, probably won't even keep the lights on) ... so the 'winner' goes out and does something silly they instantly regret.

But what else is there to do with it? Sink it into the already black-hole of debt, so there is nothing new? Which one of the kids gets to go to the doctor? Do we get a small amount of a needed drug, or does everyone get food?

Plus, the Cargo Cult effect: when 'success' (a bounty, a big win) is found randomly on the street, the most likely result of that, for the 'winners' is to increase their time on the street in case it happens again.

It doesn't pull a single person out of poverty for even a day, but it makes them all feel like 'this could happen again.' Which everyone knows is incredibly unlikely.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

How was it to the detriment of the recipients?  

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

Ladybugmama86
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM

As a Christian it really bothers me when I see people, esp Christians, doing that. There was someone from church that I had gotten kind of close to because she had had a stillborn son and she helped me a lot when we were trying to plan my sons funeral and were to bury him and all this. But then it was like every day she was posting about how she had helped with this charity, or donated this or taht to charity and it got to the point that I unfriended her from fb because I just couldnt stand her sturtting around like that.

But you are right it is a sin. But Christians arent perfect, we still sin, but as long as we comfess that sin and are open to God or other people telling us when we are wrong then we are forgiven, Just because we are Christian does not mean that we are perfect.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM

So it's not true giving, as you're doing it for yourself, and your own gain.

Quoting toomanypoodles: 
Quoting EireLass:

Why would you need a statement?

Quoting toomanypoodles:That's a shame.  We don't let peeps know what and where we give---and when we give our weekly offering at church, it goes into the provided envelope.  It's nobody's business but ours and our God's. Our pastoral staff does not have access to the giving records either---a bookkeeper keeps track of the giving and sends a statement to the individual giver quarterly---it is never shared with anyone.

Some people claim their church offerings as charitable giving on their income tax report. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting toomanypoodles: 
Quoting EireLass:

Quoting toomanypoodles:That's a shame.  We don't let peeps know what and where we give---and when we give our weekly offering at church, it goes into the provided envelope.  It's nobody's business but ours and our God's. Our pastoral staff does not have access to the giving records either---a bookkeeper keeps track of the giving and sends a statement to the individual giver quarterly---it is never shared with anyone.

Some people claim their church offerings as charitable giving on their income tax report. 

We don't take the deduction on our taxes.  Some may---that's their choice. 

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Oh, so your story was made up?

How do you know that amount given can't make a difference to someone? I certainly don't know everyones circumstances..do you?

I can't believe anyone with a shred of love in them could condemn such kindness. You have turned spreading love, hope, holiday cheer into something ugly.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's good.

I still think it's harmful for the recipients. Better to use the big pile of money to make a real difference, rather than breaking it into such small amounts it can't make any difference to anyone.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I googled it..the only ones I saw did remain secret...

Quoting LindaClement:

Not the one I saw interviewed...

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Is that the same guy who wouldn't let his face or name used on the news report? I remember a story..but the guy did remain anonymous...

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM

We don't either. I never felt right about that. I also never use the church envelopes..no one on earth needs to know what we give. That's just how I feel...

We go to the early morning service where a guy stands at door with collection plate. It always amazes me how he can look straight ahead..like London guard..when everyone drops money or envelopes in the plate. Me I would look down at everyone drop in bucket..not to see how much, just out of habit. I give the man kudos..lol

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting toomanypoodles: 
Quoting EireLass:

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

We don't either. I never felt right about that. I also never use the church envelopes..no one on earth needs to know what we give. That's just how I feel...

We go to the early morning service where a guy stands at door with collection plate. It always amazes me how he can look straight ahead..like London guard..when everyone drops money or envelopes in the plate. Me I would look down at everyone drop in bucket..not to see how much, just out of habit. I give the man kudos..lol

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting toomanypoodles: 
Quoting EireLass:

I use the envelope--we often have cash to give, but I don't like having my tithe check out there for anyone to see what we make.  lol

My husband is an usher---he doesn't peek into the bucket. 

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Ask him how he does it? Seriously, when someone essentially is dropping something in your hands how do you not look?? That takes some serious effort..or at least it would for me!

We do cash also..I realize we are probably the only ones who drop that amount of cash in..everyone else seems to use checks or envelopes..see, I look!...and they probably do know how much we give because of that. It makes me feel good thinking they don't, so I'm sticking with it..lol

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting toomanypoodles: 
Quoting EireLass:

I use the envelope--we often have cash to give, but I don't like having my tithe check out there for anyone to see what we make.  lol

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Ask him how he does it? Seriously, when someone essentially is dropping something in your hands how do you not look?? That takes some serious effort..or at least it would for me!

We do cash also..I realize we are probably the only ones who drop that amount of cash in..everyone else seems to use checks or envelopes..see, I look!...and they probably do know how much we give because of that. It makes me feel good thinking they don't, so I'm sticking with it..lol

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting toomanypoodles: 
Quoting EireLass:

For the most part he just stands at the end of the aisle and the peeps pass the bucket down.  It would be pretty obvious if he was caught looking.

When all the ushers return to the back of the church they all dump their buckets into the head ushers bucket and he walks it back to the bookkeepers office and locks it up.  I don't know if ol' Fred takes a peek or not.  lol

furbabymum
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM

What exactly has you confused? Are you not pleased when you help someone out?

Quoting EireLass:

?? Giving ??

Quoting furbabymum:

Yup. My DH and I did an incredibly good deed years and years ago. We did it completely anonymously. The people never knew. We didn't tell a single friend either. We did it to please ourselves and God, not to show off to others. We still do things like that. Random acts of giving without telling anyone. But then we also give monthly to a dog rescue and we do that for semi selfish reasons, TAX DEDUCTION BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN