Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (61-70):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM

THat has always been a pet peeve of mine.  I know a lot of people who do that.

merryvoice
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM
As a Christian I can't really answer that. I've never bragged or sought credit for good things I've done. I don't do it for notoriety, I do it because it's right.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The question is about Christians. I may have mistakenly assumed everyone that answered was a Christian and giving as God has told. It's not for any self gain. That's where I think you're confused.

Quoting furbabymum:

What exactly has you confused? Are you not pleased when you help someone out?

Quoting EireLass:

?? Giving ??

Quoting furbabymum:

Yup. My DH and I did an incredibly good deed years and years ago. We did it completely anonymously. The people never knew. We didn't tell a single friend either. We did it to please ourselves and God, not to show off to others. We still do things like that. Random acts of giving without telling anyone. But then we also give monthly to a dog rescue and we do that for semi selfish reasons, TAX DEDUCTION BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM

It's not arrogant of me; it's stock psychology.

Witness the damage to any indigenous culture ... or the trap of welfare ... at your leisure.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

How arrogant of you to proclaim to know how a persons life will be effected by receiving an unconditional gift.

Quoting LindaClement:

It's a bit complicated but it boils down to the same kind of problem gamblers have, and it's not enough money to make any real difference in anyone's life.

$100 won't feed a family for a month, so it might make him feel good several hundred times, but it won't improve anyone's situation, much at all, nor for long.

It's such a small amount that the temptation is to do something frivolous with it, because it really can't make a significant difference (won't pay the morgage, probably won't even keep the lights on) ... so the 'winner' goes out and does something silly they instantly regret.

But what else is there to do with it? Sink it into the already black-hole of debt, so there is nothing new? Which one of the kids gets to go to the doctor? Do we get a small amount of a needed drug, or does everyone get food?

Plus, the Cargo Cult effect: when 'success' (a bounty, a big win) is found randomly on the street, the most likely result of that, for the 'winners' is to increase their time on the street in case it happens again.

It doesn't pull a single person out of poverty for even a day, but it makes them all feel like 'this could happen again.' Which everyone knows is incredibly unlikely.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

How was it to the detriment of the recipients?  

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM

My point was (and remains) it would have made far more difference as a large clump of money rather than a lot of feel-good small ones.

Help one family in a way that makes a tremendous difference, or give hardly anything to lots -- which do you think will help more?

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Oh, so your story was made up?

How do you know that amount given can't make a difference to someone? I certainly don't know everyones circumstances..do you?

I can't believe anyone with a shred of love in them could condemn such kindness. You have turned spreading love, hope, holiday cheer into something ugly.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's good.

I still think it's harmful for the recipients. Better to use the big pile of money to make a real difference, rather than breaking it into such small amounts it can't make any difference to anyone.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I googled it..the only ones I saw did remain secret...

Quoting LindaClement:

Not the one I saw interviewed...

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Is that the same guy who wouldn't let his face or name used on the news report? I remember a story..but the guy did remain anonymous...

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

singlemom1208
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I just want to say I appreciate you including all religions. :-)

Quoting pampire:

Because a large number of ppl (of all religions) only pick and choose the pieces of their "faith" that they choose to follow.  Also, in America esp., we are desperate for attention and external validation because we have not learned how to find validation internally.

singlemom1208
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
$100 can make a big difference for some folks

Quoting LindaClement:

My point was (and remains) it would have made far more difference as a large clump of money rather than a lot of feel-good small ones.

Help one family in a way that makes a tremendous difference, or give hardly anything to lots -- which do you think will help more?

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

How do you know that amount given can't make a difference to someone? I certainly don't know everyones circumstances..do you?

I can't believe anyone with a shred of love in them could condemn such kindness. You have turned spreading love, hope, holiday cheer into something ugly.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's good.

I still think it's harmful for the recipients. Better to use the big pile of money to make a real difference, rather than breaking it into such small amounts it can't make any difference to anyone.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Is that the same guy who wouldn't let his face or name used on the news report? I remember a story..but the guy did remain anonymous...

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I was answering the question. We give to random people anonymously and without gain (except that good feeling you get). We give monthly to the dogs (and everyone knows we do) for selfish reasons (and because we like dogs).

Quoting EireLass:

The question is about Christians. I may have mistakenly assumed everyone that answered was a Christian and giving as God has told. It's not for any self gain. That's where I think you're confused.

Quoting furbabymum:

What exactly has you confused? Are you not pleased when you help someone out?

Quoting EireLass:

?? Giving ??

Quoting furbabymum:

Yup. My DH and I did an incredibly good deed years and years ago. We did it completely anonymously. The people never knew. We didn't tell a single friend either. We did it to please ourselves and God, not to show off to others. We still do things like that. Random acts of giving without telling anyone. But then we also give monthly to a dog rescue and we do that for semi selfish reasons, TAX DEDUCTION BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I was given $5.00 once. It saved my life. No one can determine what amount will change a persons life.

Help 1 person or help many? I prefer to help as many ppl as I can. That $100 probably wasn't "hardly anything" to the receivers.. You are looking at it as if only the cash was needed...maybe the recipients gained so much more than cash...  Again, it's sad how you can turn kindness into ugliness...

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

That's good.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I know exactly how you feel about a little bit of money being a gift. My step-daughter...just before Christmas, called and asked if we could send her $30 for diapers (she's in FL, we're in ME). I didn't know how to do that quick enough, so I called my daughter (in VA). She said she'd take care of it. She wired $150. So she was able to get the diapers, and also get a few gifts for my Grandson. Alot of times it's the little amount that makes the big impression. To send her large amounts of money, or pay her rent, etc, large bills....that does not help her. That removes her ability to learn how to live tight and responsibly as a young Mom.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I was given $5.00 once. It saved my life. No one can determine what amount will change a persons life.

Help 1 person or help many? I prefer to help as many ppl as I can. That $100 probably wasn't "hardly anything" to the receivers.. You are looking at it as if only the cash was needed...maybe the recipients gained so much more than cash...  Again, it's sad how you can turn kindness into ugliness...

Quoting LindaClement:

My point was (and remains) it would have made far more difference as a large clump of money rather than a lot of feel-good small ones.Help one family in a way that makes a tremendous difference, or give hardly anything to lots -- which do you think will help more?

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Oh, so your story was made up?How do you know that amount given can't make a difference to someone? I certainly don't know everyones circumstances..do you?I can't believe anyone with a shred of love in them could condemn such kindness. You have turned spreading love, hope, holiday cheer into something ugly.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's good.I still think it's harmful for the recipients. Better to use the big pile of money to make a real difference, rather than breaking it into such small amounts it can't make any difference to anyone.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN