Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (71-80):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

It's not enough to catch up on back rent. It won't pay a maxed out credit card. It's not enough to get the TV out of hawk.

Food for part of a week, maybe --depending on how many people are involved.

It's not enough for a well-fitting suit and new shoes to go job hunting, and it won't pay for a month of transit for more than one person.

Quoting singlemom1208:

$100 can make a big difference for some folks

Quoting LindaClement:

My point was (and remains) it would have made far more difference as a large clump of money rather than a lot of feel-good small ones.

Help one family in a way that makes a tremendous difference, or give hardly anything to lots -- which do you think will help more?

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Oh, so your story was made up?

How do you know that amount given can't make a difference to someone? I certainly don't know everyones circumstances..do you?

I can't believe anyone with a shred of love in them could condemn such kindness. You have turned spreading love, hope, holiday cheer into something ugly.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's good.

I still think it's harmful for the recipients. Better to use the big pile of money to make a real difference, rather than breaking it into such small amounts it can't make any difference to anyone.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I googled it..the only ones I saw did remain secret...

Quoting LindaClement:

Not the one I saw interviewed...

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Is that the same guy who wouldn't let his face or name used on the news report? I remember a story..but the guy did remain anonymous...

Quoting LindaClement:

The one I remember was the guy (maybe in Chicago?) going around handing out $100s to random people on the street ... many thousands of dollars in a personal feel-good campaign that got tons of press.

I believe the exercise was very much to the detriment of the recipients, done solely by the guy to prove he was generous and to get people to fawn over him --at the time and later.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL on the especially Christians...  Considering there where several threads on "pay it forward", I'm curious did you think the people who were sharing the various way in which they were able to help others to be showing off?  After the Newtown school shooting people were talking about doing 28 random acts of kindness, where they showing off? 

While I have no idea of the specific things you are seeing, but I think sometimes when people are charitable it makes them feel good and often they share that feeling in hopes of inspiring others in some small way.  I'm sure many people were inspired to do simple acts of kindness by the conversations had on creative ways to "pay it forward" or in the "random acts of kindness" campaigns.  

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not about the amount, it's about receiving an unconditional gift from a total stranger.  

Quoting LindaClement:

It's not enough to catch up on back rent. It won't pay a maxed out credit card. It's not enough to get the TV out of hawk.

It's not enough for a well-fitting suit and new shoes to go job hunting, and it won't pay for a month of transit for more than one person.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Like being allowed to merge into traffic? Having a door held?

That happens every day.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

It's not about the amount, it's about receiving an unconditional gift from a total stranger.  

Quoting LindaClement:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

No.

Quoting LindaClement:

Like being allowed to merge into traffic? Having a door held?

That happens every day.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LindaClement:

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't recall the bible saying that if you told it was a sin, but rather you would have already had your reward from men, instead of later in Heaven. 

However, this comes up time and time again. Yes, we are supposed to do things for God and not for men, but sometimes when we speak of some mission, or some project that we are working on for the poor, senior citizens, etc......it is so exciting that we want to share....and it may inspire others to do the same or to participate with the person who is doing the charity work.  God sees our heart and knows if we are bragging about what we are doing, or whether we are "or fire" for Him and can't keep it to ourselves and want others to get excited too. I love when folks tell me about projects that they are working on......maybe I want to participate, sometimes I don't. I love doing anything in our church for Veterans that are overseas....it is my passion. So, if I don't hear about a project....how do I participate?

Remember.....God sees the HEART of what you are doing, that is what is important to him.

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

That is wonderful for you. However the govenment lets us show our charitable contributions as a deduction and why would we not take that. I am sure that other deductions are taken by everyone. We tithe on-line and get a year end statement for our taxes. Along with other contributions mailed to us for Christian radio, and other types of charitable donations. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I would rather give to a real need, than just pay more taxes.

Quoting stacymomof2:

In the church I went to when I was young we didn't write our name on the collection envelope or we just put loose cash.  I am always a little surprised when people talk about tithing and imply that the church knows how much you give.  How do they know, actually?  Do people give checks or do they keep track?  I have never put my name on a donation to the church, ever.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I just hate seeing it. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I'm a Christian and I find it strange as well. We are supposed to do this privately, this includes fasting. I've seen so many Christian talk about it. I just don't understand why they do that.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

teddysmama09
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

This is why Jehovahs Witnesses are run solely on voluntary donations. We don't pass a collection plate and no donation (no matter how large) is ever brought to the attention of the congregation so as to draw attention to the one giving the donation. When we are involved in relief work (such as after hurricane Sandy) we don't make a show of it. Giving is part of being a Christian, but the right hand should not tell the left hand what it is doing. Doing so would not only be drawing undo attention to ourselves, it would also make those who could not give as much feel bad.

icn_mom
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Christianity isnt the way it once was, Unfortunatly. Actually no religion is... I believe only the devout believers still FOLLOW the lords word. Though god does know that we are only human, and there will be error in our ways.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Ok, just telling from my POV.  Where in my response did I say there was something "wrong" with it?

Quoting USBrit:

That is wonderful for you. However the govenment lets us show our charitable contributions as a deduction and why would we not take that. I am sure that other deductions are taken by everyone. We tithe on-line and get a year end statement for our taxes. Along with other contributions mailed to us for Christian radio, and other types of charitable donations. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I would rather give to a real need, than just pay more taxes.

Quoting stacymomof2:

In the church I went to when I was young we didn't write our name on the collection envelope or we just put loose cash.  I am always a little surprised when people talk about tithing and imply that the church knows how much you give.  How do they know, actually?  Do people give checks or do they keep track?  I have never put my name on a donation to the church, ever.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I just hate seeing it. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I'm a Christian and I find it strange as well. We are supposed to do this privately, this includes fasting. I've seen so many Christian talk about it. I just don't understand why they do that.

Quoting Citygirlk:

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

You didn't say anything was wrong with it.

I was just making the point that some of us take all our deductions very seriously and that there is nothing wrong with keeping track for that purpose. BUT, you did make me think of something. I remember that a post talked about politicians and how they always talk about their charitable contributions, are we sure it is them or the fact that they must open their past 2 years tax returns for review when running for President. Perhaps, it all those folks looking at the tax returns then talking about all the charitable contributions taken.  Who knows based on that, whether Romney talked about it, or all the other folks that wanted him to be portrayed as a wonderful guy??? Food for thought.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Ok, just telling from my POV.  Where in my response did I say there was something "wrong" with it?

Quoting USBrit:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Citygirlk:

I just hate seeing it. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)