Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So what influenced you to be heterosexual?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Replies (271-280):
Devious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Um I like man parts...lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

God did it, I didn't mean the phrase literally. LOL. And if I want to base my actions off a book, holy or not, that's my choice. I believe that you can stop yourself from falling in love with a minor, a dog, a brother, a ....pretty much society determines all kinds of rules of people we can't be with concenting or not, adult or not, and it isn't just homosexuals that society dictates. If we can dictate all those other groups and control their sexuality....then what makes homos so special that they are basically animals without self control of their sexuality? Just saying from a sociological perspective, not being homo has NOTHING to do with repressed sexuality

Quoting Bookwormy:

You believe the bible did it & not G-d? That's interesting...

So if the bible hadn't destroyed Sodom, would you be lesbian or bisexual? It must be so hard to repress your sexuality. I'm sorry.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I'm hetero because the bible destroyed an entire gay city.

lga1965
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing happened to it.

You can choose whatever you want. That is not the issue. I am just wondering what Sodom and Gomorrah has to do with your life? I know all about that and it has nothing to do with My life. It's a story.I am a heterosexual by birth....it was in my genes. Reading a Bible story wouldn't make me gay or straight.Probably wouldn't influence you either,if you would just be honest about it.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

What happened to the "My life, my choice" approach that women on here are so fond of?

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Excuuuuuuuuse me ?   LOL.

lga1965
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my. You call them "animals" and "Homos" ? How horrible and inappropriate.  And clearly not what a good , kind Christian would say.You are a fake.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

God did it, I didn't mean the phrase literally. LOL. And if I want to base my actions off a book, holy or not, that's my choice. I believe that you can stop yourself from falling in love with a minor, a dog, a brother, a ....pretty much society determines all kinds of rules of people we can't be with concenting or not, adult or not, and it isn't just homosexuals that society dictates. If we can dictate all those other groups and control their sexuality....then what makes homos so special that they are basically animals without self control of their sexuality? Just saying from a sociological perspective, not being homo has NOTHING to do with repressed sexuality

Quoting Bookwormy:

So if the bible hadn't destroyed Sodom, would you be lesbian or bisexual? It must be so hard to repress your sexuality. I'm sorry.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM
7 moms liked this

You're slightly disgusting.... and I am being nice right now

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I know that some conservatives and religious people like to claim it is a well known contributing factor, with little evidence to back that claim up. The fact that what you linked me is a conservative blog proves that point (one of their articles on the causes of homosexuality begins "causes of homosexuality are attributable to man's sinful nature, nurture, environment, lack of a relationship with God, and personal choice"). There are no reliable, peer reviewed studies that prove a causative relationship between sexual abuse and homosexuality.

There is nothing "obvious" about your point besides the fact that it illuminates your bias pretty clearly. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

The link is well known as at least a possible/probable contributing factor, which is obviously known to you, given the wording of your question. 

I've done the research before, elsewhere, but I'm not interested in restating the obvious here.

But here's just one:  http://www.conservapedia.com/Sexual_abuse_being_a_contributing_factor_for_homosexuality

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Because of the blue waffles, which caught my attention, I've noticed that many of your posts seem to be about this issue.  You seem to have a special ax to grind here.  What's your bias?  Gay?  Have gay close relative?  What?

It would make responding easier to understand the deep bias underpinning all your posts about this issue, like this one...just out of the blue, in response to nothing. 

If you are indeed actually asking a question, instead of just stirring the pot again on this issue, you must know that Ellen (or whatever activist actually wrote it) is being disingenuous on this issue.  Yes, the claim can be made that the straight parents did not "influence" her.  However, there is no mention of what did, and I guarantee you that some sexual exposure or experience at an early age did indeed influence her.

So, it's really not something one can easily respond to, since I don't remember her having been forthcoming with her past molestation, abuse or whatever.  And it's almost always there. 

ETA:  Oh wait....a quick google turned up this People magazine piece with this blurb:

From here:  http://www.people.com/people/ellen_degeneres/biography/0,,,00.html

"In Texas, DeGeneres is secretly molested by her new stepfather as her mother struggles with breast cancer. After she graduates high school and moves back to New Orleans, she finally tells her mother the truth." 

Why would she mention this abuse if she feels it has nothing to do with her current sexual identity? Perhaps she's known that she's gay since she was a child.

Do you have any objective, peer reviewed studies that state abuse is "almost always there"?

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

If the fact that you grew up in a solely heterosexual environment "influenced" you to be heterosexual, how do you explain others who grew up in very similar environments and are homosexual?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting chloedee:

You didn't know homosexuals or homosexuality existed until you were an adult? Wow.

Still, given that homosexuals come from a variety of backgrounds, from predominantly heterosexual environments, I don't think it's something that "influences" you.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The culture I grew up in.  I didn't meet anyone that was gay until I was out of college.  Girls went out with boys and women married men.

Do you believe that's what influenced your heterosexuality? Many homosexuals grew up in identical situations and still ended up being gay.

No, I just made that up.  Of course I do.  I couldn't be influenced by something I didn't even know existed.

I guess that is your opinion.  I think it is kind of presumptious to think you know what influences others though.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Um. Did anyone say you can't be heterosexual or tried to pass laws oppressing your heterosexuality?

This is a silly argument to try to make.

Your life. Your choice to be heterosexual if that's a choice you've made.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

What happened to the "My life, my choice" approach that women on here are so fond of?

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Excuuuuuuuuse me ?   LOL.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM

It is disgusting.

Quoting Sekirei:

You're slightly disgusting.... and I am being nice right now

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you seriously believe that bestiality and pedophilia are anywhere in the same ballpark as homosexuality? Both of those relationships would be exploitative by nature and can't be compared to a homosexual relationship between consenting adults, but what a disgusting comparison on your part. Very Christian of you.

In what way are homosexuals "basically animals without self control"? Because they don't have sex in a way you approve of, despite harming no one else?

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN