Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So what influenced you to be heterosexual?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Replies (251-260):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I get the concept. And it's a false and redundant and ignorant concept. One that is very old and not based on any fact whatsoever. You might as well deny gravity exists and yet you are still here on earth. That's how ridiculous this concept is. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:
Quoting mehamil1:

This is getting super old. And unjustifiably ignorant. For one thing, scientifically impossible. Another thing, completely redundant and ignorant. Adam and Eve did not make you straight. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Do you want the whole Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve thing?

Well, I see you all still don't get the concept.  This IS getting old.  lol

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

I get the concept. And it's a false and redundant and ignorant concept. One that is very old and not based on any fact whatsoever. You might as well deny gravity exists and yet you are still here on earth. That's how ridiculous this concept is. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:
Quoting mehamil1:

This is getting super old. And unjustifiably ignorant. For one thing, scientifically impossible. Another thing, completely redundant and ignorant. Adam and Eve did not make you straight. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Well, that's okay.  My beliefs might seems ignorant to you, but that doesn't make me the ignorant one.  Maybe one day you'll learn your beliefs were the ones that were wrong.  Until then...to each his own.  ;)

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

You just haven't met the right lady yet. ;) 

Now, this lady, she makes me rethink my heterosexuality something fierce. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:
Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting toomanypoodles:

What this tells me is that you are who you are because that is what you believe is right.  Do  you really know who  you are?  

Are you heterosexual because you fear God will turn away from you, or turn you away?  You are stating you are making a choice to be straight.

I know many people who, because they believe God wants them to be straight, live their lives as a lie and all the while, God wants people to be honest and themselves and not hide out of fear.

I'm not only hetro because God designed me to be with a man, I am attracted to men and am repulsed by the thought of doing anything with a woman.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

You just haven't met the right lady yet. ;) 

Now, this lady, she makes me rethink my heterosexuality something fierce. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:
Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting toomanypoodles:

What this tells me is that you are who you are because that is what you believe is right.  Do  you really know who  you are?  

Are you heterosexual because you fear God will turn away from you, or turn you away?  You are stating you are making a choice to be straight.

I know many people who, because they believe God wants them to be straight, live their lives as a lie and all the while, God wants people to be honest and themselves and not hide out of fear.

I'm not only hetro because God designed me to be with a man, I am attracted to men and am repulsed by the thought of doing anything with a woman.

Go for it.  ;)  Have fun. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM

The beliefs are deliberately ignorant of scientific fact that has been well established. And you choose to believe it. You have the facts and you dismiss them because of bronze age superstition. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting toomanypoodles:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Well, that's okay.  My beliefs might seems ignorant to you, but that doesn't make me the ignorant one.  Maybe one day you'll learn your beliefs were the ones that were wrong.  Until then...to each his own.  ;)

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM
My axe to grind is equality, equity and civil rights.

I equally prolific with abortion :) I am neither gay not have I had an abortion.

I can assure you that the nature nurture 'debate has no definitive answers but I know your axe is one of right wing bent.

Ellen is not being 'disingenuous' she is voicing her opinion as a gay person. I know that is distasteful to some but that is their problem.

Sigh. You have no idea what is 'almost always there' or anything of the sort. Your attitude and assumptions and opinions are actually a little sick.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Because of the blue waffles, which caught my attention, I've noticed that many of your posts seem to be about this issue.  You seem to have a special ax to grind here.  What's your bias?  Gay?  Have gay close relative?  What?

It would make responding easier to understand the deep bias underpinning all your posts about this issue, like this one...just out of the blue, in response to nothing. 

If you are indeed actually asking a question, instead of just stirring the pot again on this issue, you must know that Ellen (or whatever activist actually wrote it) is being disingenuous on this issue.  Yes, the claim can be made that the straight parents did not "influence" her.  However, there is no mention of what did, and I guarantee you that some sexual exposure or experience at an early age did indeed influence her.

So, it's really not something one can easily respond to, since I don't remember her having been forthcoming with her past molestation, abuse or whatever.  And it's almost always there. 

ETA:  Oh wait....a quick google turned up this People magazine piece with this blurb:

From here:  http://www.people.com/people/ellen_degeneres/biography/0,,,00.html

"In Texas, DeGeneres is secretly molested by her new stepfather as her mother struggles with breast cancer. After she graduates high school and moves back to New Orleans, she finally tells her mother the truth." 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM

The link is well known as at least a possible/probable contributing factor, which is obviously known to you, given the wording of your question. 

I've done the research before, elsewhere, but I'm not interested in restating the obvious here.

But here's just one:  http://www.conservapedia.com/Sexual_abuse_being_a_contributing_factor_for_homosexuality

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Because of the blue waffles, which caught my attention, I've noticed that many of your posts seem to be about this issue.  You seem to have a special ax to grind here.  What's your bias?  Gay?  Have gay close relative?  What?

It would make responding easier to understand the deep bias underpinning all your posts about this issue, like this one...just out of the blue, in response to nothing. 

If you are indeed actually asking a question, instead of just stirring the pot again on this issue, you must know that Ellen (or whatever activist actually wrote it) is being disingenuous on this issue.  Yes, the claim can be made that the straight parents did not "influence" her.  However, there is no mention of what did, and I guarantee you that some sexual exposure or experience at an early age did indeed influence her.

So, it's really not something one can easily respond to, since I don't remember her having been forthcoming with her past molestation, abuse or whatever.  And it's almost always there. 

ETA:  Oh wait....a quick google turned up this People magazine piece with this blurb:

From here:  http://www.people.com/people/ellen_degeneres/biography/0,,,00.html

"In Texas, DeGeneres is secretly molested by her new stepfather as her mother struggles with breast cancer. After she graduates high school and moves back to New Orleans, she finally tells her mother the truth." 

Why would she mention this abuse if she feels it has nothing to do with her current sexual identity? Perhaps she's known that she's gay since she was a child.

Do you have any objective, peer reviewed studies that state abuse is "almost always there"?

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Quoting chloedee:

You didn't know homosexuals or homosexuality existed until you were an adult? Wow.

Still, given that homosexuals come from a variety of backgrounds, from predominantly heterosexual environments, I don't think it's something that "influences" you.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The culture I grew up in.  I didn't meet anyone that was gay until I was out of college.  Girls went out with boys and women married men.

Do you believe that's what influenced your heterosexuality? Many homosexuals grew up in identical situations and still ended up being gay.

No, I just made that up.  Of course I do.  I couldn't be influenced by something I didn't even know existed.

I guess that is your opinion.  I think it is kind of presumptious to think you know what influences others though.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It's because of comments like this that threads like this shouldn't be deemed as "getting old."

Quoting toomanypoodles:

No, people post threads like this just to insite the Christians.  WE are the ones getting tired of the topic.  We're not going to change our views just cuz y'all keep questioning and mocking our beliefs. 

I am a Christian and I am not tired of the topic.  I do not see where, in the OP, any one was mocking any thing. 

I certainly do not expect any one to change their views.  That would require more than some people have to offer.  Speaking in general terms.   I do, however, have an expectation that some day, people will realize how they see things, their view, is not the view for others and excluding others is ten times worse than any thing any Bible says about some one who is who they are.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM

LOL. I can't wait for the answer. :-) I hope he allows her to answer.....

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It's ok I'll wait for you to go ask your husband permission to answer my question.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I'm hetero because the bible destroyed an entire gay city.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured