Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Alabama School Bus Hostage Situation: Man Fatally Shoots Driver, Kidnaps 6-Year-Old Passenger

Posted by   + Show Post

MIDLAND CITY, Ala. -- An unidentified man boarded a school bus, shot the driver several times, then escaped with a 6-year-old passenger, prompting an hourslong standoff with police that remained unresolved early Wednesday.

The Dale County Sheriff told WBMA-TV (http://bit.ly/WthpQh) that the man shot the driver in Midland City on Tuesday after he refused to let the child off the bus. The driver later died of his wounds. His identity wasn't released.

The shooter took the child to an area behind a nearby church, and police were negotiating with him, authorities said.

Midland City police would not comment, and a call to the Dale City Sheriff's office was not answered Tuesday.

Authorities from multiple agencies were on the scene and nearby residents were evacuated from their homes as a precautionary measure, said Rachel David, a spokeswoman for the police department in the nearby town of Dothan.

"Authorities also confirmed the presence of a child at the scene but are giving no further information at this time," David said in a news release late Tuesday.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM

This is in its third day. This has gone on entirely too long. What the hell are the police doing? If they're waiting for this loony fringe to come out on his own, they'll be waiting a long time.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/31/16759153-alabama-bunker-hostage-boys-family-is-holding-on-by-a-thread?lite

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM

He's not related to the boy at all. In fact, he wanted to take more of the kids as hostages, but the bus driver's actions prevented that from happening. The only reason he got the boy was because he fainted, and it was easy to grab him.

Quoting lga1965:

That's what I was thinking. it might be a custody dispute that went haywire and the guy was determined to take his son off the bus. As happens too often, he just "happened to have a gun" with him in case he needed to use force. Ugh.In any case, the guy needs to be put in jail and the boy taken safely away. The poor little kid will be emotionally damaged by this.

Quoting annabl1970:

Maybe the man is his father?

Quoting soonergirl980:

I'm not a big on religon but if that child is in danger I pray God protects him/her.

Quoting annabl1970:

I think so

Quoting soonergirl980:

I'm sorry is this an ongoing standoff?

lga1965
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yeah, I know. I commented last night on this post after my reply and after I read the updated articles and said "Never mind"my reply,etc. and now I know that the man is just nuts and has a plan involving his underground bomb shelter/bunker and we still don't know why he wanted to grab kids and if they have rescued the little boy.

Quoting cjsbmom:

He's not related to the boy at all. In fact, he wanted to take more of the kids as hostages, but the bus driver's actions prevented that from happening. The only reason he got the boy was because he fainted, and it was easy to grab him.

Quoting lga1965:

That's what I was thinking. it might be a custody dispute that went haywire and the guy was determined to take his son off the bus. As happens too often, he just "happened to have a gun" with him in case he needed to use force. Ugh.In any case, the guy needs to be put in jail and the boy taken safely away. The poor little kid will be emotionally damaged by this.

Quoting annabl1970:

Quoting soonergirl980:

I'm not a big on religon but if that child is in danger I pray God protects him/her.

Quoting annabl1970:

I think so

Quoting soonergirl980:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM

The updated story I just saw this morning says he still has the boy....

Quoting lga1965:

Yeah, I know. I commented last night on this post after my reply and after I read the updated articles and said "Never mind"my reply,etc. and now I know that the man is just nuts and has a plan involving his underground bomb shelter/bunker and we still don't know why he wanted to grab kids and if they have rescued the little boy.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting annabl1970:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting annabl1970:

I think so

Quoting soonergirl980:

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM

That poor little guy has to be terrified out of his mind. 

And his poor mommy and dad!  

Quoting cjsbmom:

The updated story I just saw this morning says he still has the boy....

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting annabl1970:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting annabl1970:

I think so

Quoting soonergirl980:

LittlePiggies5
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Why can't a sniper sneak up on this mother fucker and shoot him in the head?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

From what I just read on my local news station, both the man and the boy are in an underground bunker now and police have no access to it as of yet.  Apparently, this guy spent over a year digging this underground bunker in the middle of the night.  At least that's what his neighbors were reporting.

Quoting LittlePiggies5:

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

And why is it that no one thought it odd that the man was digging a huge hole in the middle of his backyard for a freaking year? A year? If someone had mentioned this to the authorities, this tragedy may have been prevented. This man is clearly mentally ill. This is part of what needs to change in this country if we're going to prevent these kinds of things from happening. We need to be able to better identify mental illness and then have the tools to do something about it.

Quoting SlingsAndThings:

From what I just read on my local news station, both the man and the boy are in an underground bunker now and police have no access to it as of yet.  Apparently, this guy spent over a year digging this underground bunker in the middle of the night.  At least that's what his neighbors were reporting.

Quoting LittlePiggies5:

SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I guess he told his neighbors he was digging a storm shelter.  To me, that wouldn't be all that strange. But, I also live in Missouri and a lot of people have storm shelters.  It's a very strange story and there were quite a few red flags.  He was also supposed to be in court *I think* the day before it happened for shooting his neighbor...

He clearly had issues.  Major ones that were never fully addressed. I agree with you that more needs to be done to address mental illness.

Quoting cjsbmom:

And why is it that no one thought it odd that the man was digging a huge hole in the middle of his backyard for a freaking year? A year? If someone had mentioned this to the authorities, this tragedy may have been prevented. This man is clearly mentally ill. This is part of what needs to change in this country if we're going to prevent these kinds of things from happening. We need to be able to better identify mental illness and then have the tools to do something about it.

Quoting SlingsAndThings:

Quoting LittlePiggies5:

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I just saw this update. Apparently, the little boy has aspergers and ADHD. I can just imagine what he's going through, having a child on the spectrum myself. I worry for his safety knowing the kinds of behaviors he could be exhibiting.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/31/16759153-alabama-bunker-hostage-boys-family-is-holding-on-by-a-thread?lite

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN