Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Girl who performed at Obama's inauguration shot dead in Chicago

Posted by   + Show Post

Dunno if this has been posted, but I just saw this:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/30/16771949-girl-who-performed-at-obamas-inauguration-shot-dead-in-chicago?lite

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News

A 15-year-old girl who performed at President Obama's inauguration last week was shot dead Tuesday while hanging out with friends in bullet-scarred Chicago.

Hadiya Pendleton -- described by a relative as a "walking angel" -- was standing under a canopy in Vivian Gordon Harsh Park when a gunman ran down an alley, opened fire at the group and fled in a white car, police said.

Pendleton was shot in the back but managed to run about a block before she collapsed, officer Laura Kubiak said. She died at the hospital.

A 16-year-old boy was wounded in the 2:20 p.m. incident. Police said Pendleton, who had no criminal record, was probably not the intended target.

"As usual, the bad guy aims, but he never hits the other bad guy . . . He hits the one that hurts the most to lose," the victim's godfather, Damon Stewart, 36, who is a police officer, told the Chicago Sun-Times.

"I changed her diapers, I played with her growing up. My heart is broken."

A sophomore at selective King College Prep High School, Pendleton had traveled to Washington to perform with the marching band at inaugural events, NBCChicago.com reported.

Friends of the young majorette described her as a bubbly, well-liked student.

"She was always smiling and laughing," said Tyler Genovesi, 14. "She was just a really nice person. ... There's a lot of people crying in school today. It's very sad. The band is playing for her right now."

On Twitter, Pendleton's schoolmates were decrying the loss of innocent life.

"You are more than loved and missed," one wrote. "Your laugh smile and silly happy personality has made my day more times than I can remember. Nobody deserves this, especially not you."

The shooting happened in an upscale neighborhood where residents were shocked.

"I was torn apart," said Robin Hollis, who lives across the street from the park. "I cried when I heard about it."

Cousin Shatira Wilks told the Sun-Times that Pendleton's family had been thinking of moving to the suburbs, to "an even better community."

"Her daughter has never ever given her mother a problem," Wilks said. "This girl was literally a walking angel."

Pendleton's murder was one of three shooting deaths in the city on Tuesday. More than 40 people have been shot dead in Chicago since the beginning of the year. The city leads the nation in guns seized by police.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Quoting gizmo538:

No offense to your friend's friend, but I have to disagree. 

If that were the case, then Obama would've picked a different target. This happened in Chicago. Chicago has some of the most strict gun laws in this country and yet crime is on the rise because all those laws did was make it harder for law-abiding citizens to own guns to defend themselves with.

It makes no sense to choose a target in an area that actually demonstrates the opposite of his "gun ban" agenda.

I believe this was just as the article says. The gun was pointed at someone else, but hit her instead and yet another beautiful life was destroyed.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

A friend of mine got a comment on her FB that the Obama administration had the girl killed to push the gun ban agenda...

Chicago sun Times reported that she was standing w/a group of gang members.  They do not care if they shoot an innocent,a child,acop.  The gang members left her there.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Mayor Rahm emmanuel,BHO's former chief of staff.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM

It isn't being ignored.

And there isn't anything that says two problems can't be worked on at the same time.

These events are tragic and senseless and horrific.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

We need a plan for Gang Control, not gun control.  This is one of the most serious issues in our country today, and yet everyone just ignores it.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM

What does this even mean?

Quoting SandyLaxner:

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

The mayor of Chicago is rahm Emmanuel,former chief of staff for Obama.  Weird connections,the girl,Chicago,the inauguration she attended,gun control.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I know who Rahm Emanuel.

What I mean is... why would you try to force that connection?

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

The mayor of Chicago is rahm Emmanuel,former chief of staff for Obama.  Weird connections,the girl,Chicago,the inauguration she attended,gun control.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

I know who Rahm Emanuel.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Forced connection?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Nevermind.

It's quite apparent.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting Momniscient:

I know who Rahm Emanuel.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Forced connection?

gizmo538
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yeah, this article doesn't say who she was standing with in the park so it could have very well been gang members that she was standing with or near. Regardless, it sounds like the gunman didn't have a specific target (as in one person, I think he meant to shoot at the gang though) and was just firing at random and hit the wrong person.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting gizmo538:

No offense to your friend's friend, but I have to disagree. 

If that were the case, then Obama would've picked a different target. This happened in Chicago. Chicago has some of the most strict gun laws in this country and yet crime is on the rise because all those laws did was make it harder for law-abiding citizens to own guns to defend themselves with.

It makes no sense to choose a target in an area that actually demonstrates the opposite of his "gun ban" agenda.

I believe this was just as the article says. The gun was pointed at someone else, but hit her instead and yet another beautiful life was destroyed.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

A friend of mine got a comment on her FB that the Obama administration had the girl killed to push the gun ban agenda...

Chicago sun Times reported that she was standing w/a group of gang members.  They do not care if they shoot an innocent,a child,acop.  The gang members left her there.

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM

When will this senseless killings end?  My sympathy for her family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN