Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Girl who performed at Obama's inauguration shot dead in Chicago

Posted by   + Show Post

Dunno if this has been posted, but I just saw this:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/30/16771949-girl-who-performed-at-obamas-inauguration-shot-dead-in-chicago?lite

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News

A 15-year-old girl who performed at President Obama's inauguration last week was shot dead Tuesday while hanging out with friends in bullet-scarred Chicago.

Hadiya Pendleton -- described by a relative as a "walking angel" -- was standing under a canopy in Vivian Gordon Harsh Park when a gunman ran down an alley, opened fire at the group and fled in a white car, police said.

Pendleton was shot in the back but managed to run about a block before she collapsed, officer Laura Kubiak said. She died at the hospital.

A 16-year-old boy was wounded in the 2:20 p.m. incident. Police said Pendleton, who had no criminal record, was probably not the intended target.

"As usual, the bad guy aims, but he never hits the other bad guy . . . He hits the one that hurts the most to lose," the victim's godfather, Damon Stewart, 36, who is a police officer, told the Chicago Sun-Times.

"I changed her diapers, I played with her growing up. My heart is broken."

A sophomore at selective King College Prep High School, Pendleton had traveled to Washington to perform with the marching band at inaugural events, NBCChicago.com reported.

Friends of the young majorette described her as a bubbly, well-liked student.

"She was always smiling and laughing," said Tyler Genovesi, 14. "She was just a really nice person. ... There's a lot of people crying in school today. It's very sad. The band is playing for her right now."

On Twitter, Pendleton's schoolmates were decrying the loss of innocent life.

"You are more than loved and missed," one wrote. "Your laugh smile and silly happy personality has made my day more times than I can remember. Nobody deserves this, especially not you."

The shooting happened in an upscale neighborhood where residents were shocked.

"I was torn apart," said Robin Hollis, who lives across the street from the park. "I cried when I heard about it."

Cousin Shatira Wilks told the Sun-Times that Pendleton's family had been thinking of moving to the suburbs, to "an even better community."

"Her daughter has never ever given her mother a problem," Wilks said. "This girl was literally a walking angel."

Pendleton's murder was one of three shooting deaths in the city on Tuesday. More than 40 people have been shot dead in Chicago since the beginning of the year. The city leads the nation in guns seized by police.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM

how sad

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Who ever said that is not very bright. She was killed in Chicago. Guns are illegal in Chicago. If anything, it proves the point that many of us that are firearm advocates are making. But those that want to villianize every thing Obama does don't care about logic, I suppose.  I wish that type would sit down and shut up, because it makes it that much harder to make valid criticisms of the job he is doing.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

A friend of mine got a comment on her FB that the Obama administration had the girl killed to push the gun ban agenda...

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

But they aren't  in the surrounding  states.

Quoting soonergirl980:

But guns are illegal in Chicago? Just another tragedy of innocent loss of life while we bury our heads in the sand and scream gun control instead of actually dealing with the problem. Chicago is one of the strictest cities with gun laws yet has one of the highest murder rates and a corrupt system.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Whats you point? They are illegal to have in the city yes? So they shouldn't be in the city regardless of where they are allowed to be sold. So why is it there? Oh that's right because criminals don't CARE about the laws. The only hands Chicago is keeping guns out of are law abiding citizens.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting soonergirl980:

But guns are illegal in Chicago? Just another tragedy of innocent loss of life while we bury our heads in the sand and scream gun control instead of actually dealing with the problem. Chicago is one of the strictest cities with gun laws yet has one of the highest murder rates and a corrupt system.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My point is if the surrounding states had the same laws the murder rates would be much lower. Yes criminals don't care about the laws but if we made everyone do background checks then maybe we would see a change and that way t would be almost impossible for these guys to get these guns. 

Also New York has almost the same guns laws, so why is their murder rate so low? 

Quoting soonergirl980:

Whats you point? They are illegal to have in the city yes? So they shouldn't be in the city regardless of where they are allowed to be sold. So why is it there? Oh that's right because criminals don't CARE about the laws. The only hands Chicago is keeping guns out of are law abiding citizens.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting soonergirl980:

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Gang warfare, drugs and brutal segregation have gripped the city of Chicago.  While Chicago is totally absent of gun shops, the street culture has outwitted the laws and put the most dangerous guns on the street.  You're frightened to send your children to school, play in the city parks or be out at 7pm on a Winter's night.   

Quoting gizmo538:

We definitely need something done. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in this country and yet crime is so high there. Criminals just don't seem to be afraid anymore.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

We need a plan for Gang Control, not gun control.  This is one of the most serious issues in our country today, and yet everyone just ignores it.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Quoting Citygirlk:

If the surrounding area had the same laws they would just go outside that area to get them. New Yorks isnt that much lower than Chicago. In 2012 Chicago had 499 compared to 435 in NY
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Not everyone no. There are a lot of good cops, sadly, the mahor, aldermen and reverands have tied the hands of the CPD from doing effective policing. Our idiot police commander talks about shooting citizens but the gangs run unchecked.

Quoting Citygirlk:

The city is corrupt from the cops to the da to the mayor. They make money off the illegal guns the drugs etc.. Everyone there is bought and paid for it makes me sick that they just let this stuff happen.

Quoting gizmo538:

We definitely need something done. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in this country and yet crime is so high there. Criminals just don't seem to be afraid anymore.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

We need a plan for Gang Control, not gun control.  This is one of the most serious issues in our country today, and yet everyone just ignores it.

Mysty_1961
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Chicago is a war zone even with their gun laws it does not stop the war, and in some cases the police are afraid of the gangs they are outnumbered and out gunned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN