Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OT, What would you look for?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM
  • 16 Replies

My husband and I, along with several other members of our church, are participating in a workshop that is meant to try and help save dying churches.  One of the things that most of the churches involved are struggling with is attracting new people to come to church.

So we were given the homework task of trying to think of things that might help attract people to come to the church. I have come up with a few ideas, but I know I am fairly odd, and I don't know if my ideas are that great. Then I realized what an incredible think tank this group is!  

Now, I know many of you are not Christians, and many of you are not fond of organized religion. But if you could please think hypothetically, if you were going to look for a church for your family, what sort of things would make you feel more at home?  Would you want a more contemperary service? Would you want specialized classes on different subjects? Would you like maybe a group that gets together just as a support group and not so much a bible study? Would you be interested in a church community garden?

What sort of things would make you feel like you could feel at home?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Present Jesus as the pop culture icon he was. Jesus was a weirdo and an outcast in his time. People large and wide didn't see him as a "messiah", they saw him as a rock star. He put on a show, and he drew a crowd. Make Jesus as cool as he is holy, and people will be down. I'm always amazed by the people who make Jesus into this mournful, somber, almost depressed guy who walked around in flowing white robes with people bowing and praying before him. That's not how it was. How do I know this? I've studied the era and history of the Roman and Jewish people in depth. Jesus would have had dirt under his fingernails, his hair wouldn't have been perfectly combed, his clothes probably would have been a little rough. People followed him in part because he could relate to them and their struggles. Make Jesus the real guy he was. A modern Jesus would be more like John Lennon than Billy Graham.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Sponsor a youth sports team.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jlo1313
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM

This girl is a genius!  Listen to what she says!

Quoting radioheid:

Present Jesus as the pop culture icon he was. Jesus was a weirdo and an outcast in his time. People large and wide didn't see him as a "messiah", they saw him as a rock star. He put on a show, and he drew a crowd. Make Jesus as cool as he is holy, and people will be down. I'm always amazed by the people who make Jesus into this mournful, somber, almost depressed guy who walked around in flowing white robes with people bowing and praying before him. That's not how it was. How do I know this? I've studied the era and history of the Roman and Jewish people in depth. Jesus would have had dirt under his fingernails, his hair wouldn't have been perfectly combed, his clothes probably would have been a little rough. People followed him in part because he could relate to them and their struggles. Make Jesus the real guy he was. A modern Jesus would be more like John Lennon than Billy Graham.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM

We kind of do this.  I mean, we don't really say rockstar, but our Pastor is big on pointing out that Jesus was not this cherubic beautiful perfect being.  He was a rebel. He was a misfit.  It is one of the things i love about how she teaches, because that is how I always felt he would be like.

Quoting radioheid:

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM

It seems in today's society it is about offering amenities.

For instance youth and children activities really seem to trend people toward certain churches. You might get some ideas from the following link.

http://www.cbcamericus.org/ministries-overview.html

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Also, you can't focus on the sin, and no, this does not contradict the Bible. The Bible says we're all sinners...and no sin is greater than another. So what point is there focusing on particular sins? We all know right from wrong and thus what constitutes a sin; this sort of "sin focus" is negative reinforcement, and it turns people off. We don't want to hear about all the shitty things we've done, and all the shitty things we're doing---we're all aware of it. Focus on the message of Christ, which is acceptance of ALL people, ALL sinners, with redemption and reward a greater point of discussion than condemnation and damnation. When you do right by people---ALL people---folks take notice, and this is the greatest recruiting tool you have. Be real, be positive, be cool, and help others; this was Christ's work, and thus it is ours.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

1L2CMommy
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM
My DH and I have actually been discussing/struggling with this since the first of the year. We moved to a completely new area last year, and are looking for a way to be connected to the community, make new friends, and strengthen our family. We started going to a branch of the church he was raised in, Presbyterian. The services were comfortable, but I haven't gotten alot out if them, and DH was having a hard time keeping his eyes open. I think we're going to keep looking.
Here are the things we would like to find, although I have little faith we will.
1. Younger or diverse congregation.
2. A sermon that is VERY relatable. Tell me how to apply this to my life this week. Tell me some things I can do to help myself, spouse, kids have a better week. If you don't know your congregation well enough to make your sermon relatable for their everyday life, what are you doing?
3. A variety of activities and chances for fellowship outside of church. Dinners on Wednesday nights, Friday night game night. Stuff like that. And don't charge or make it an opportunity as a fund raiser for the church. You want you congregation to come together, then bring them together and give them chances to get to know one another.
4. Nursery services offered during services is a big plus! We have 2 small children, who would not sit still through services. Knowing they are safe and having fun, and DH and I get at least an hour alone (sometimes our only hour all week), to pay attention to the service is wonderful.
That's as far as we've gotten. But these are enough to make us check out a new church and keep coming back.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM
I had a whole big list typed out and erased the damn thing. I'll just sum it up and say we had lots of family friendly activities. Our church was huge but still homey.
rfurlongg
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM

bump

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM

This is going to be harder than I thought. We have a youth program, the problem is we are in an older area, where What kids are in the area belong to parents that don't want to put forth the effort to let the kids come participate.  The average age of our church is around seventy five.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN