Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

American Girl Dolls(Update for Pics)

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 135 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Would/Have you purchased an American Girl doll for your child?

Options:

Yes!! They are wonderful and well worth the money!

Thought about it, but they are so expensive.

No way, who in their right mind spends $110 on a doll?

I have boys, but if I had a girl I would.

I have boys, but if I had a girl I would not.

Other. I will explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 150

View Results

Ok, I know this isn't really a hot topic, but it's a current event for me. My daughter turned 8 today. My very tomboy daughter that loves dinosaurs, bugs, animals, Harry Potter, Legos, etc asked me today if she could have an American Girl doll.  She really wants it for her birthday.

The question is, are these dolls really worth the money? I'm adding a poll:)

I approve this message!

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM

My cousins had them growing up- I did not.

IMO, from my own childhood experience and now as a parent- totally worth it. I would spring for one if I had a girl.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:23 PM

My MIL really wants to buy one for DD. I asked her to wait. From what I understand you can customize it very easily and make it her own. I'll bet you can design a tom-boy American Girl doll. I smiled while reading this because our DD is the same way. = )

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM

My daughter has Caroline.  She loves her, and plays with her all the time.  She was worth every penny!!

OneDay.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I think it just depends, I had one growing up but I had to save up half the money for it. I loved it, it was totally worth it to me. I still have it, I'll give it to my daughters when they are older. I really like the American girl books too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

My MIL really wants to buy one for DD. I asked her to wait. From what I understand you can customize it very easily and make it her own. I'll bet you can design a tom-boy American Girl doll. I smiled while reading this because our DD is the same way. = )

You can make a doll that is exactly what your daughter wants.

BlueRay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Ill get her one when she's old enough to.appreciate it but only ONE! Not gana go crazy
edelweiss23
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM
My girls love theirs.

I still have mine from when I was a child. They are still in wonderful condition
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I got my first around that age. I voted other because baby girl is still in my belly. I have been wanting to get ds a cabbage patch kid for a while now.
my childhood home burned down almost 7 years ago now and i lost all my awesome toys from the late 80's early 90's.
Of that weren't the case my kids would get all my hand me down toys, but since they can't i plan to buy my dd an American girl doll when she is old enough. I got my first when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and i had the create your own doll, right before my mom passed i got Molly.
You can always get the real doll and get the knock off clothes and accessories. KMart sells a doll just like it and they sell girls clothes with matching outfits that fit their dolls and the American girl dolls
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I got my first around that age. I voted other because baby girl is still in my belly. I have been wanting to get ds a cabbage patch kid for a while now.
my childhood home burned down almost 7 years ago now and i lost all my awesome toys from the late 80's early 90's.
Of that weren't the case my kids would get all my hand me down toys, but since they can't i plan to buy my dd an American girl doll when she is old enough. I got my first when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and i had the create your own doll, right before my mom passed i got Molly.
You can always get the real doll and get the knock off clothes and accessories. KMart sells a doll just like it and they sell girls clothes with matching outfits that fit their dolls and the American girl dolls
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I couldn't answer the poll because my daughter got one from my mother-in-law when she was younger.  I didn't have to buy her one, but in her case I wouldn't have.  She's a girly girl and had so many dolls.  One wasn't any more special than the other.

When I was little, I was a tomboy.  I HATED dolls.  My poor Mom... I was her only girl.  However, for whatever reason, there was one doll I received that I absolutely loved!  My Mom was so mad at my Dad when he threw it out thinking I didn't play with it.  I can understand why you're considering getting one for your daughter. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN