Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Taken your parents keys because they were not safe to drive anymore?

Would you? 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
AMBG825
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I have not. Not from my parents nor my in-laws. However, being that everyone we know is LE related, it wouldn't take much to convince them that they shouldn't drive. And all of them respect the LE members in our family enough that they would listen or at least make a sincere attempt to listen to their advice. And we have had several incidents that prove the LE in our family would have no qualms in locking them up for their own safety.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM

yes and yes. It was not pretty. But, they got over it.

sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:58 AM

My parents are still very capable, but we had to do it for my grandmother. Even though she was upset by the initial  "loss of freedom" she felt, I also think she was partly relieved because she knew it was becoming difficult for her to see and drive. Fortunately, she lives in a place where there are plenty of transportation options for her and she has gotten used to not having her own car.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM

My MIL is 90, she finally quit driving last year.   Mom just had surgery for cancer behind her eye.   She will be 83.   We are watitng to see how it goes.  At this point, she only drives to church and the grocery store, will not go on highways or drive at night.

jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I have, back when I was a kid and my mother was drinking. I would do it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

My parents had to convince my grandfather to hang up his keys.  It was getting to the point where he was going all over the road when he drove. He would also drive so slow that he would nearly cause other drivers on the road to rear end him (30mph in a 65mph zone).  It wasn't easy, convincing him to give up driving, but eventually he gave in.

Tara922c
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I remember when we took away my grandmother's car. She became so depressed and went downhill fast. I still feel bad about it, but she would have killed herself and others if we didn't. My mom is still pretty young and vibrant, so I hope I don't have to make that decision for a long time. If I do have to, I will make sure to visit my mom as often as I can and get her out of the house. My grandma's biggest complaint is no one ever wanted to take her anywhere. People were willing to come over and visit, drop off groceries, help around the house, but all she wanted to do was go lookaround Wal-Mart. I know how it feels to be stuck without any type of transpertation for a few days, I can't imagine knowing I have to depend on others for the rest of my life. To my grandma, losing her right to drive, was losing her freedom. She told me she felt like she was a prisioner in her own home.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

no, my parent's are still quite youthful.  If they got to the point that they posed a danger to themselves or others I would hope to sit down and have a talk about how we can meet their needs and keep them off the road.  

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

We took the MILs keys.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My parents are still very capable of driving.  They're in their 60's. 

My Dad had to tell my Grandpa he couldn't drive anymore 2 years ago.  We're afraid he'll kill somebody.  He's 92 and was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years ago.  His reflexes are not what they used to be.  My Grandmother doesn't drive.  She's from England and just never wanted to learn how to drive here.  Their car just sits in their garage now, but it comes in handy when my Aunt flies in to visit them. 

My other Grandmother is still good to drive.  She's not going to be happy at all when she no longer can... that's for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)