Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Taken your parents keys because they were not safe to drive anymore?

Would you? 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

No I did have not and my mother passed away so I do not have to worry about it..

4music
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Haven't had to yet but we know that that day may come and are more than willing to. Hopefully because dad had to do much the smae to his mom about 2 years ago they are understanding.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I don't know, right now my mom is 57, and my dad 67.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I haven't spoken to my mother in over 2 years, and I don't know who my dad is. I is an orphan. lol

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I won't fight my parents on this issue. Not worth the grief my mother will return.

lga1965
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Not me, personally, but my brother had to take our Dad's car keys away from him years ago when he showed signs of Alzheimers. They were living in Arizona ( I was living in MN) and my Dad drove from Mesa to Flagstaff, not knowing why, ran out of gas and a policeman found him. The cop called my brother . After that, my brother drove him where he needed to go.

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We've considered it.  My FIL/MIL are TERRIBLE drivers  They once complained to us that the cops were mad at them because they were stopped on the side of the road, but the cops made them move.  They were actually sitting in the right hand lane - that people DRIVE in - no shoulder.  And, that's not even the worst.  We no longer allow them to drive with any of the kids in the car - even the older boys (in their 20's).  And, they think they drive fine.  Sheesh.... 

My husband wants the DL office to implement a nurf ball test - if the person cannot catch the nurf ball when thrown at them, they dont' get to drive.  Easy enough and no one gets hurt (even the older person who couldn't catch the ball)

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Have never been in that position with my own parents, they're both deceased.

In-laws are still very much 'with it'...so I don't see that happening....they're mid 70's. The youngest son lives right next door, so he would notice things first.

Our Grandma gave up her keys when she turned 95. She died at 98.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM

No my parents never drank.

And yes I would if it ever came about.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM

As long as they tell me before they throw it I am down with that lol.  Those eyetests are getting tough.

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

We've considered it.  My FIL/MIL are TERRIBLE drivers  They once complained to us that the cops were mad at them because they were stopped on the side of the road, but the cops made them move.  They were actually sitting in the right hand lane - that people DRIVE in - no shoulder.  And, that's not even the worst.  We no longer allow them to drive with any of the kids in the car - even the older boys (in their 20's).  And, they think they drive fine.  Sheesh.... 

My husband wants the DL office to implement a nurf ball test - if the person cannot catch the nurf ball when thrown at them, they dont' get to drive.  Easy enough and no one gets hurt (even the older person who couldn't catch the ball)

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)