Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Taken your parents keys because they were not safe to drive anymore?

Would you? 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I take a lot of keys away when I feel they are not safe to drive why would my parents be any different. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If I had been old enough when my dad was around, and did not have a fear of what he would do, I absolutely would have.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Yes I take a lot of keys away when I feel they are not safe to drive why would my parents be any different. 

Me too lol I make the drinkers pass a sobriety test for sure.  I have only had one person get nasty with me over it.

Honestly I was talking about those who are aging or sick and have become unsafe.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

If I had been old enough when my dad was around, and did not have a fear of what he would do, I absolutely would have.

My dad needed his keys taken a lot but I didnt do it ever.  No way.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I took my papa's keys and started driving him when I felt he was unsafe. When I think of my parents now though I am referring to my birth parents and my mother cannot drive at night so I take her keys if she tries. My dad thankfully is not in a situation for me to take them but if the event arose I would do it.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting stormcris:

Me too lol I make the drinkers pass a sobriety test for sure.  I have only had one person get nasty with me over it.

Honestly I was talking about those who are aging or sick and have become unsafe.

inmybizz
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

yes and yes. It was not pretty. But, they got over it.

We had to take away my grandfather's keys..It was not pretty either.

PestPatti
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:40 PM

If need be in a heart beat.   My dad is 76, and doesn't seem to have problems.  

I do think though ,my dad would give up his keys before we had to take them.   My mother and sister were killed in a traffic accident, my dad wouldn't want another family to go through what we did. 

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I am so sorry.

Quoting PestPatti:

If need be in a heart beat.   My dad is 76, and doesn't seem to have problems.  

I do think though ,my dad would give up his keys before we had to take them.   My mother and sister were killed in a traffic accident, my dad wouldn't want another family to go through what we did. 

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

my parents not yet but I did have to do so with my great-aunt (who lives with me).  We kepts trying to get the dr. to do t but he did not want to make the call although he admited she had senile dementia, we tried letting her get her liscence suspended for not paying a ticket but her cousin got her a lawyer.... so ultimately we just had to take the car.  She would not admit to the fact she could not drive.  In fact she would say she had never had an accident .... less than a week after she did.

It was not fun.  She was very upset. Tried to get the car back several times.  but eventually she got it.  We also got someone who comes during the day as a companion and takes her to do errands etc. (I tried but going to the store with her and my kids and then arguing that yes you do need to buy more than 1 gal of milk at a time b/c I cannot go to the store 3 x's a week... was just getting to be way to much)

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Oh man....I deal with this in work several times a year.  I often find that many families lack the ability to make this decision without arguing and other people being upset, and they make the decision far too late in the game.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN