Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taken your parents keys because they were not safe to drive anymore?

Would you? 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I didn't (they're now deceased) but I would have if I felt they weren't safe-but first I'd put a bug in their doctor's ear to have a safety talk with them to try to make them think of it themselves.

Mama2Spencerninja

etsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

yes and yes. 4th of july I have had to take the keys. I even got a drunk call from my dad to have me pick him up. I would rather that than a phone call from the police. Thank God he only does it on 4th of July.

pampire
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Haven't yet but I think about what that will be like.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:08 AM

My mom and her brother, took my Grandma's keys, and boy was she pissed.  She was getting more and more forgetful, and she forgot where she lived one day :-(   She was gone for 6 hours.   She was then diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  

I would take away my parent's keys.

witch_e_woman
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM

If & when, that day comes, YES !!!

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Mom handed me her keys without any argument. She had that fight with my dad and not only promised me she would accept my word if I told her she wasn't safe behind the wheel, but followed through on it.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

There should law requiring elder citizens ( let say 65 and up) to take medical exam and retake test for driver license.

Seriously.

I saw how old nice 90 year lady, all of sudden forgot, where she was going, tried to do CRAZY U-turn on the highway! She caused huge accident involving many cars. One of the cars involved, had four kids sitting at the backseat!

mikesmom65270
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM

My parents are deceased, at 62 and 74.  Had it been necessary, I would have taken their keys.

notquite2sets
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Yes in a heartbeat to keep hers beating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM

My parents are dead.  They never grew old for me to take keys from them.  However, DH's father needed care, we brought him here legally from Italy so we could care for him.  He did obtain a drivers license, drove for a few years.  By the time he was say 85, I had my doubts about his reflexes.  Since he only had a matter of months left before the license expired we did not take the keys from him.  In the meantime, our sons were chauffeuring him around.  He loved it!  Since he drove less and less, when it expired he was accustomed to not driving anymore. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured