Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stomach flu

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 18 Replies
Anyone else had it? What's the fastest way to get rid of the nausea? Yuck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shawna510
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Peppermint seems to help with the nausea.
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

The Norovirus is pretty bad right now.  A woman at work was just out sick with it, and she said it was one of the worse cases of it she's ever had.  From the sounds of it, there's not much you can do but to let it run it's course and to try to stay hydrated.  You can try Keopectate and Tums and stick to the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet until you feel better.  Here's the CDC's page on treating norovirus.  http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/treatment.html

lisajo76
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Thanks :)It must be really bad. The cramping is so painful, I almost passed out. At first, I had no idea what it was. Then the heaving started
:(

Quoting Rubberbiscuit:

The Norovirus is pretty bad right now.  A woman at work was just out sick with it, and she said it was one of the worse cases of it she's ever had.  From the sounds of it, there's not much you can do but to let it run it's course and to try to stay hydrated.  You can try Keopectate and Tums and stick to the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet until you feel better.  Here's the CDC's page on treating norovirus.  http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/treatment.html

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I found warm ginger ale helps relieve nausea. I also recomend pepermint tea. 

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Just try to stay hydrated.  A few saltine crackers and flat 7-up (or other clear soft drink) or sports drink to see if you can keep it down might help with the nausea.

IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I had it and I'm pregnant! Stay away from sweetened stuff. Try generic pedialyte. Bananas, toast and tons of water.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I had it right after Christmas- horrible.

I was not back eating normally for an entire week.

Nicole1357
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The BRAT diet is great! Bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast. Not to mention pretzels. Sometimes ginger ale and 7 up or sprite help settle the stomach. Like another poster said peppermint helps. Even brushing your teeth with peppermint helps with nausea.

diospira
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Ginger tea helps.

Peace

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Oh that is horrible.  Peppermint always helps me with nausea but I think with a virus like this the only thing you can do is tough it out.  Stay hydrated, pedialyte is good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)