Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are wealthy people discouraged from shopping at Goodwill?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 81 Replies

I was talking with my mom recently and she mentioned that people who are well-off shouldn't shop at places like Goodwill. They should leave it for those who cannot afford to shop elsewhere. Is this a common feeling among society? While her reasoning makes sense in a way, I also know there are people who prefer to buy used clothing in their effort to be 'green', among many other reasons.  I never really thought about this before.

So, what say you? Should those who are well-off leave goodwill items to those less fortunate?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kameka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I think everyone should have the right to shop wherever. I also think that people need to think about how their actions affect others. Is your effort to be green negatively impacting others? Then find a different way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I thnk this is really a matter of personal opinion and, very trivial,  not even worth discussing. Who cares?

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM
7 moms liked this

That is why a lot of people are wealthy, because they have been thrifty

Fairywings1223
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see any reason they shouldn't.
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I read that a lot.    Places like that are only for the poor.   However, it never occurred to them that these people have money precisely because they don't spend it recklessly.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely love Goodwill!! I manage to find some of the best graphic tees there. I gotta be honest, few things make me as smug as when I score the perfect graphic tee...for $1.99!!!! A BUCK NINETY NINE!!!!!
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

I thnk this is really a matter of personal opinion and, very trivial,  not even worth discussing. Who cares?

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

The only demographic I find myself resenting as someone who depends on thrift stores is the hoarder.  There are several I recognize as I have seen them in their hoarded vehicle.  I dont like it when they snatch things out from under me at all and they will absolutely insert themselves in any space they can in order to obtain their prize.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

eema.gray
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

The Business course I took last fall talked about this a little bit.  Personal wealth is not created by earing a big paycheck (although it helps).  Personal wealth is made through frugal spending habits and living below your means.

Know what I like to get at Goodwill and other similar places?  Sheets (I'm a little picky about wear, stains, etc of course).  Sheets are really nothing more than great big pieces of fabric.  I wash them, sun them, wash again (never know what buggies they might be carrying) and use them for clothing, liners for curtains, wash rags in the kitchen, and all manner of other uses.  Cheaper than JoAnn's!

Quoting pamelax3:

That is why a lot of people are wealthy, because they have been thrifty

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

People should shop where they want to shop. Who cares how wealthy they are? What if they like a certain style of clothing from long ago and the only places to find it are the resale places? That's why I go. I found an awesome dress that needed minor repair and awesome shoes at the Brown Elephant. I don't know of any good will store around here. It's all Salvation Army and Brown Elephant. One of my friends just bought a gorgeous full dining set in great condition from the Brown Elephant for $200. Just needed a coat of varnish and some sanding. He'll have that set for a long time. Stuff like that usually is upwards of $1,000 or more. I say do what you gotta do. People are always donating stuff they don't want. The people who run those places are constantly putting out new items. It's not like the rich are grabbing up a dwindling resource. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN