Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents object to students reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents object to students reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic

Multicultural group of students in Fort Collins, Colo., also have recited pledge in French, Spanish

CONFIRMED: A member of Cultural Arms Club led student body in Arabic version of pledge Monday

Rocky Mountain High senior Nuha Kapatayes, who learned Arabic as a child and now speaks it fluently, recited the Pledge of Allegiance over the public-address system Monday morning before classes, the Fort Collins Coloradoan reported.

Tom Lopez, principal at Rocky Mountain High School in Fort Collins defended his decision to allow the recital and denied that it was an attempt to push an Islamic agenda, according to Fox News, The Inquisitr and other news outlets. The French Club recited the pledge in October, and the Cultural Arms Club delivered it in November.

The true backlash didn't begin until after the pledge was recited in Spanish.

"We had maybe two complaints worldwide after the French recital," Lopez told MSN News. "We had numerous complaints worldwide after the club read it in Spanish."

Lopez told Fox News he is growing weary of all the outrage. One critic labeled Lopez as a traitor. Others said the pledge should only be delivered in English, that the principal's decision to read it in other languages "is blaspheming a real major tenet of our patriotism," Lopez said.

"How on Earth is it un-American to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in another language?" Ibrahim Hooper, of the Council on American Islamic Relations, told Fox News. "It doesn’t make sense unless the people complaining are anti-Muslim or anti-Middle Eastern bigots."

(Read other accounts of the story here.)

Despite protests against recital of the pledge in Spanish in November, and the renewed outrage, the Cultural Arms Club has plans to translate it into American Sign Language, Korean and possibly Chinese, the Coloradoan reported.

(Click here for a heated forum in the Denver Post.)

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Replies (151-160):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Language and religion have no connection however if that is the case, chew on this:

Should the Bible be disreguarded by Emglish speakers?

In what language was the Bible first written?

The first human author to write down the biblical record was Moses. He was commanded by God to take on this task, for Exodus 34:27 records God's words to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." And what language did he use? He wrote in his native language, called Hebrew.

Hebrew is one of a group of languages known as the Semitic languages which were spoken throughout that part of the world, then called Mesopotamia, located today mainly in Iraq. Their alphabet consisted of 22 letters, all consonants. (Imagine having an alphabet with no vowels! Much later they did add vowels.)

Almost the entire Old Testament was written in Hebrew during the thousand years of its composition. But a few chapters in the prophecies of Ezra and Daniel and one verse in Jeremiah were written in a language called Aramaic. This language became very popular in the ancient world and actually displaced many other languages. Aramaic even became the common language spoken in Israel in Jesus' time, and it was likely the language He spoke day by day. Some Aramaic words were even used by the Gospel writers in the New Testament.

The New Testament, however, was written in Greek. This seems strange, since you might think it would be either Hebrew or Aramaic. However, Greek was the language of scholarship during the years of the composition of the New Testament from 50 to 100 AD. The fact is that many Jews could not even read Hebrew anymore, and this disturbed the Jewish leaders a lot! So, around 300 BC a translation of the Old Testament from Hebrew into Greek was undertaken, and it was completed around 200 BC. Gradually this Greek translation of the Old Testament, called the Septuagint, was widely accepted and was even used in many synagogues. It also became a wonderful missionary tool for the early Christians, for now the Greeks could read God's Word in their own tongue.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

The Quran is studied in Arabic. Most of the countries who speak Arabic are Muslim.  They are too interconnected.

I would not be happy if my kids were taught Arabic.  They will learn Spanish and French and if I am lucky Mandrin but not Arabic.

doriselm
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Sorry I disagree with it. If you come to this country and want to stay here be proud enough to learn the Pledge in English. How does anyone really know they are actually saying the pledge. I am with the parents! Go ahead slaughter me for my view, but I am a legal immigrant with another language and I stand by my words; the Pledge needs to be in English, but would say that as extra bonus it could be done individually in another language, not in a group of majority American kids who speak English.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Why? We have no national language..They are learning many languages

Quoting doriselm:

Sorry I disagree with it. If you come to this country and want to stay here be proud enough to learn the Pledge in English. How does anyone really know they are actually saying the pledge. I am with the parents! Go ahead slaughter me for my view, but I am a legal immigrant with another language and I stand by my words; the Pledge needs to be in English, but would say that as extra bonus it could be done individually in another language, not in a group of majority American kids who speak English.

Imacakebaker
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

What does that have to do with anything?  You copy and paste very well, but don't think very well on your own do you?

The Bible is in many languages.  Christianity is in many languages, you don't have to know Arabic to get the correct translation.    Name a  country where Christianity is the law of the land.  You can't. 

Name a country you have to learn Christian customs to learn about its culture, government etc.  You can't.

Arabic is the only language I can think of that is so closely linked to a religion.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Language and religion have no connection however if that is the case, chew on this:

Should the Bible be disreguarded by Emglish speakers?

In what language was the Bible first written?

The first human author to write down the biblical record was Moses. He was commanded by God to take on this task, for Exodus 34:27 records God's words to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." And what language did he use? He wrote in his native language, called Hebrew.

Hebrew is one of a group of languages known as the Semitic languages which were spoken throughout that part of the world, then called Mesopotamia, located today mainly in Iraq. Their alphabet consisted of 22 letters, all consonants. (Imagine having an alphabet with no vowels! Much later they did add vowels.)

Almost the entire Old Testament was written in Hebrew during the thousand years of its composition. But a few chapters in the prophecies of Ezra and Daniel and one verse in Jeremiah were written in a language called Aramaic. This language became very popular in the ancient world and actually displaced many other languages. Aramaic even became the common language spoken in Israel in Jesus' time, and it was likely the language He spoke day by day. Some Aramaic words were even used by the Gospel writers in the New Testament.

The New Testament, however, was written in Greek. This seems strange, since you might think it would be either Hebrew or Aramaic. However, Greek was the language of scholarship during the years of the composition of the New Testament from 50 to 100 AD. The fact is that many Jews could not even read Hebrew anymore, and this disturbed the Jewish leaders a lot! So, around 300 BC a translation of the Old Testament from Hebrew into Greek was undertaken, and it was completed around 200 BC. Gradually this Greek translation of the Old Testament, called the Septuagint, was widely accepted and was even used in many synagogues. It also became a wonderful missionary tool for the early Christians, for now the Greeks could read God's Word in their own tongue.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

The Quran is studied in Arabic. Most of the countries who speak Arabic are Muslim.  They are too interconnected.

I would not be happy if my kids were taught Arabic.  They will learn Spanish and French and if I am lucky Mandrin but not Arabic.

Imacakebaker
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Right, because when you go somewhere like the grocery or a restaurant or governement office etc. all the staff aren't speaking ENGLISH.  Eyes rolling.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting doriselm:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM

and we still have no national language...

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Right, because when you go somewhere like the grocery or a restaurant or governement office etc. all the staff aren't speaking ENGLISH.  Eyes rolling.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting doriselm:

Imacakebaker
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Spend the day speaking only Mandarin to everyone you come  in contact and you would feel different.  If 98% of the population speaks ENGLISH, the language is ENGLISH.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting doriselm:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
It's being done by multiple students in foreign language classes...

Arabic, Spanish, French, etc.

I think it celebrates the diversity we have in this country. :-)

Quoting doriselm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Come to Texas... It'll prove English is not our national language.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Spend the day speaking only Mandarin to everyone you come  in contact and you would feel different.  If 98% of the population speaks ENGLISH, the language is ENGLISH.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting doriselm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

The United States does not have an official language. English is only de-facto. Globalization is a skill our children need to be introduced to.  

Quoting doriselm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN