Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong to have the Sandy Hook choir perform at the Super Bowl?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 50 Replies

Sandy Hook Elementary Super Bowl Performance Is Not Exploitation (VIDEO)

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on January 31, 2013

Sandy Hook On Sunday, 26 children from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, will sing at the Super Bowl to honor the 26 children and educators who were killed in the horrific Newtown massacre last month.

The kids will sing “America the Beautiful” live just before before Alicia Keys performs the national anthem.

For many who tune into the Super Bowl, it will be a highlight. Hell, I would be more likely to tune in now because of this beautiful tribute. But some at ProFootballTalk.com called it exploitative, a means to get better ratings and use the Sandy Hook kids to do so. But is it? In the YouTube video below, singer Ingrid Michaelson leads the children in a rendition of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” It's beautiful.

I get the complaint that it could be construed as exploitative, but the NFL has actually been connected to Sandy Hook since it happened.

First they held a moment of silence before each game in the week after Newtown. Players wore the names of the victims on various articles of their clothing, and there was always an air of sadness and respect. So why wouldn't they have the kids perform at the Super Bowl? It's a national, fun event, and while we have HAD to move on as a country, it also says that we're still grieving. It says the kids are in our hearts and that we haven't forgotten.

There is nothing wrong with that sentiment. It's true.

The Super Bowl may be just football, but it's one time each year when most of the US is focused on one certain thing. Why shouldn't we pay tribute to our national sense of grief and outrage?

It's not political. It's not exploitative. I am sure the kids are excited and happy to be there. A kind anonymous donor even paid for their trips.

It's too bad people have to be so cynical about such a beautiful tribute.

Do you think this is wrong?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a fantastic idea.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't understand why it would be wrong.  On any level.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I think that will be wonderful. Really.

In my opinion, we need to remind people often ,from now on , how many children have been lost due to guns. OFTEN. There are just too many guns. It's not right. And not just because insane people get guns so easily but because guns at home accidentally kill children too.

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM
I don't either.

Quoting kailu1835:

I don't understand why it would be wrong.  On any level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I don't see what the issue is.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM
6 moms liked this

I think using children to further the anti-gun agenda to be fairly pathetic. 

Quoting lga1965:

I think that will be wonderful. Really.

In my opinion, we need to remind people often ,from now on , how many children have been lost due to guns. OFTEN. There are just too many guns. It's not right. And not just because insane people get guns so easily but because guns at home accidentally kill children too.

babiesbabybaby development

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I see what each side is saying. They think the NFL is trying to boost ratings by pulling on America's heart strings... Which the NFL is greedy so I could see that.
But at the same time I don't have a problem with them singing. I think its a beautiful tribute. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

If maybe the NFL gave a portion of the proceeds to the Sandy Hook victims fund would that help. I don't know how I feel about this really, part of me says it's exploitation another part says we all need to heal together.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Now that is a great idea!

Quoting mikiemom:

If maybe the NFL gave a portion of the proceeds to the Sandy Hook victims fund would that help. I don't know how I feel about this really, part of me says it's exploitation another part says we all need to heal together.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
It's beautiful. Those kids need something positive to come from all of that horror. It's about them and their need to pick up the pieces and LIVE.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured