• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Punishing an entire community

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 35 Replies

Should an entire group be punished for the actions of a few?

If so why?

If not, how do you feel about schools using this action? IE one person gets into a fight the whole school receives a punishment.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM
3 moms liked this

No.  I do not think it is fair.  My oldest dd in high school got an F one day for classroom behavior. I freaked. She swore it wasn't her.  So, I politely emailed the teacher and asked what was up.  SHe said my dd was an excellent student and it wasn't her but others in the class keep talking so she gave the entire class an F for the day. She wanted to encourage the good students to force the bad students to behave.  Bullshit.  I told her if it negatively affected my dd's grade I was going to the principal.  She is just too lazy to deal with the bad kids.  2 days later she removed it.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I think this is particularly bad considering that affects her permanent record even if it is a minuscule amount.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

No.  I do not think it is fair.  My oldest dd in high school got an F one day for classroom behavior. I freaked. She swore it wasn't her.  So, I politely emailed the teacher and asked what was up.  SHe said my dd was an excellent student and it wasn't her but others in the class keep talking so she gave the entire class an F for the day. She wanted to encourage the good students to force the bad students to behave.  Bullshit.  I told her if it negatively affected my dd's grade I was going to the principal.  She is just too lazy to deal with the bad kids.  2 days later she removed it.

Debmomto2girls
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, that is why I was so mad.  She is a good student and didn't deserve it.  I have no problem with my dd getting punished for bad behavior but not because the teacher is lazy. I was all set to go to the school but she removed it.

Quoting stormcris:

I think this is particularly bad considering that affects her permanent record even if it is a minuscule amount.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Bieg9093
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Punishing a whole class for the actions of a few is a tool used by those who have no other tools in their toolboxes.  That part about wanting the good students to make the bad ones behave...it never works.  And quite frankly, none of us send our kids to school to be responsible for the behavior of others.  It's a dickhead move and anybody who'd try to defend the practice need to go back to teacher school.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Or are too damn lazy to address the real issue.....

Quoting Bieg9093:

Punishing a whole class for the actions of a few is a tool used by those who have no other tools in their toolboxes.  That part about wanting the good students to make the bad ones behave...it never works.  And quite frankly, none of us send our kids to school to be responsible for the behavior of others.  It's a dickhead move and anybody who'd try to defend the practice need to go back to teacher school.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Isn't that how life works though?

The rules and regs are always established to mitigate or prevent the worst of behaviors.

Classroom, workplace, airport, freeways- all the same. The kids may as well get use to it.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

No I don't think it's right.

talia-mom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Yet some of these people responding support gun control.

Debmomto2girls
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If it wasn't going to affect her grade, I wouldn't have bothered.

Quoting Sisteract:

Isn't that how life works though?

The rules and regs are always established to mitigate or prevent the worst of behaviors.

Classroom, workplace, airport, freeways- all the same. The kids may as well get use to it.

Debmomto2girls
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM

She goes to a performing arts high school and this teacher is the oldest.  I really think she is out of her element there.  Most of the teachers are young, creative and energetic. It runs a little differently than a regualr high school. I am not saying you have to be young to teach or be creative. I am sure she was a good teacher at one point but not anymore.  She even falls asleep in class and whines for the kids to behave.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)