Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Immigrants to US refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance for religious reasons(S/O)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM
  • 179 Replies

Are you bothered by immigrants refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance for religious reasons?  

Are you offended by Americans not reciting the pledge for religious reasons?  

Why or why not?  

Edit: I've noticed many people are not answering the question in red.   I'm interested in the answer to both questions.  

Just as an aside.  We survived as a nation for over a 100 years without the need or requirement of a loyalty oath.   It was not something our founding fathers found to be necessary or desired.  

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Is the objection "under god"? Or the allegiance itself?

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

does it matter if recitation violates their religious beliefs?  

Quoting stormcris:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I am offended! You can skip the "under God" and recite the rest.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

why does it offend you?  

Quoting pamelax3:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I just feel that if someone is coming to the US to be an American they can have enough respect to recite the pledge, if there are religious reasons then like I said skip over the "under God"  

Quoting katy_kay08:

why does it offend you?  

Quoting pamelax3:

babie113
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
No. I'm atheist and a immigrant. And this is partly why I'm not intrested in becoming a citizen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Many people leave out the under god part to still be able to say it but if the allegiance is the factor then them not saying it is different. You would be correct that either way it is a first amendment right to do so but sometimes being opposed to an entire thing when you only object to a part is a different sort of stance.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting stormcris:

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM
6 moms liked this

Yes,I would be offended. They chose to come to our country and want to become citizens of The United States of America then they should/need to/must...recite The Pledge of Allegence to the Flag of The United States of America,the way it was writen and the way anyone else would. If they will not do this and are going to complain,then why are they wanting to be here.

If we went to another country and wanted to become a citizen of that country we would be expected to do the same thing there.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I wrote it as I did intentionally.  Do you have an answer to the question? 

Quoting stormcris:

Many people leave out the under god part to still be able to say it but if the allegiance is the factor then them not saying it is different. You would be correct that either way it is a first amendment right to do so but sometimes being opposed to an entire thing when you only object to a part is a different sort of stance.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting stormcris:

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM

there is no rule that states they "must" become a citizen and the 1st Amendment applies to all within our borders, citizen and non.  

Quoting cjsix:

Yes,I would be offended. They chose to come to our country and want to become citizens of The United States of America then they should/need to/must...recite The Pledge of Allegence to the Flag of The United States of America,the way it was writen and the way anyone else would. If they will not do this and are going to complain,then why are they wanting to be here.

If we went to another country and wanted to become a citizen of that country we would be expected to do the same thing there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured