Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Immigrants to US refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance for religious reasons(S/O)

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you bothered by immigrants refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance for religious reasons?  

Are you offended by Americans not reciting the pledge for religious reasons?  

Why or why not?  

Edit: I've noticed many people are not answering the question in red.   I'm interested in the answer to both questions.  

Just as an aside.  We survived as a nation for over a 100 years without the need or requirement of a loyalty oath.   It was not something our founding fathers found to be necessary or desired.  

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

not all immigrants choose to become citizens.  We do not require them to be citizens to live here.  

Their religious reasons may go beyond the "under god" part.

BTW...this is the oath that immigrants take when they become citizens.  They do not recite the pledge of allegiance.  

Oath

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Quoting pamelax3:

I just feel that if someone is coming to the US to be an American they can have enough respect to recite the pledge, if there are religious reasons then like I said skip over the "under God"  

Quoting katy_kay08:

why does it offend you?  

Quoting pamelax3:

Yes I am offended! You can skip the "under God" and recite the rest.

doomshroom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this
i always thought pledging allegiance was silly anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chelsey191
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they better pledge their allegiance or go home.
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Well my answer depends on the whys.

If you are refusing the entirety of something due to one small part I want to know why because there is a deeper meaning to it. If you are refusing the allegiance to the idea of idols then it is your belief and as such I understand. If you are refusing because you show allegiance only to god I would want to know if you can show loyalty to this country within your service to god. All of it as I said is a first amendment right and as such protected by us as a nation. However, my curiosity is in the whys not the stance. Why a person does something is so much more important.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I wrote it as I did intentionally.  Do you have an answer to the question? 

Quoting stormcris:

Many people leave out the under god part to still be able to say it but if the allegiance is the factor then them not saying it is different. You would be correct that either way it is a first amendment right to do so but sometimes being opposed to an entire thing when you only object to a part is a different sort of stance.

Quoting katy_kay08:

does it matter if recitation violates their religious beliefs?  

Quoting stormcris:

Is the objection "under god"? Or the allegiance itself?

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I am not offended. 99% of people who recite it are just going through the motions anyway, and not paying any attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
btamilee
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Rules....well, for me....its just a matter of respect for THIS country.  They can do as they please, but yes...I find it insulting.  If you don't.....good for you.  That is indeed one of the things that makes our country so wonderful....you won't be led out into a field, or desert, or the woods....and shot in the head for your own beliefs. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I am a Christian, and I have issues with reciting the pledge because it asks me to pledge allegiance to an inanimate object (the flag) and to a Republic. As a Christian, that can be construed as idol worship, which the Bible says is a sin. I suspect that might be part of the religious objection for some immigrants.

Greenstone920
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't offend me at all. I, personally, find the pledge a bit offensive.
IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Can they skip the god part? I testified for the defense once (damn, that was an eternity ago) and told them I would not swear on a bible. I think I swore on some fancy law books instead.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM

The part I put in red is why DH will not become a US citizen, but instead opts to just have a green card. He doesn't feel that he should have to renounce Canada. And I agree.

Quoting katy_kay08:

not all immigrants choose to become citizens.  We do not require them to be citizens to live here.  

Their religious reasons may go beyond the "under god" part.

BTW...this is the oath that immigrants take when they become citizens.  They do not recite the pledge of allegiance.  

Oath

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Quoting pamelax3:

I just feel that if someone is coming to the US to be an American they can have enough respect to recite the pledge, if there are religious reasons then like I said skip over the "under God"  

Quoting katy_kay08:

why does it offend you?  

Quoting pamelax3:

Yes I am offended! You can skip the "under God" and recite the rest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN