Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Immigrants to US refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance for religious reasons(S/O)

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you bothered by immigrants refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance for religious reasons?  

Are you offended by Americans not reciting the pledge for religious reasons?  

Why or why not?  

Edit: I've noticed many people are not answering the question in red.   I'm interested in the answer to both questions.  

Just as an aside.  We survived as a nation for over a 100 years without the need or requirement of a loyalty oath.   It was not something our founding fathers found to be necessary or desired.  

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (171-179):
juju40
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

that's sad..and you probably love our perks don't you

Quoting babie113:

No. I'm atheist and a immigrant. And this is partly why I'm not intrested in becoming a citizen.

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

What perks?  

Quoting juju40:

Quoting babie113:

No. I'm atheist and a immigrant. And this is partly why I'm not intrested in becoming a citizen.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

It's quite sad and scary that people think it is that simplistic and dont seem to understand that pledging allegiance to other than God, is a sin and frowned upon in many religions, christianity being one of them. I posted an excerpt a few pages back that talks about why christians shouldnt say the pledge.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Do you think the only part a religious person may find objectionable is the "under God" portion of the pledge?  

There are religious faiths were pledge your allegiance to a country goes completely against the teachings of their faith.  It isn't as simple as just leaving out a few words.   

Quoting JazzyMommyx3:

Yea I think any American or want to be American should know and recite the pledge, they can leave out the "under god"
But as we become more and more PC we lose more and more of America's identity

opal10161973
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I am never offended by anyone refusing to recite over religious reasons.  It is a religious freedom that I can fully support.  More so now that we seem to be losing our freedoms left and right.

gammie
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

NO as long as you stand up and respect while others say it. 

JazzyMommyx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Your not pledging allegiance to a country but to the flag, a symbol of a country. Saying you will stand up for yoyr country in times of need against harm, and most religions cant object to war or such specially considering thier past. But thats my interpatation, I dont mind the "under God" part as this wasnt even founded as a religious country, but I do feel that you should be willing to stand up for your country, but in reality as long as they are respectful I wouldnt even notice most likely

Quoting katy_kay08:

Do you think the only part a religious person may find objectionable is the "under God" portion of the pledge?  

There are religious faiths were pledge your allegiance to a country goes completely against the teachings of their faith.  It isn't as simple as just leaving out a few words.   

Quoting JazzyMommyx3:

Yea I think any American or want to be American should know and recite the pledge, they can leave out the "under god"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

what's sad about it?

Quoting juju40:

Quoting babie113:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM

why should we?

Quoting JazzyMommyx3:

babie113
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM
What perks?

Fyi as a LEGAL immigrant I can NOT get any kind of pa. No Medicare no food stamps nothing and BTW we don't need it either.

There aren't many perks to living here honestly I plan on moving back to my homeland At some point. That's partly why I don't want to be a citizen 1i don't have to. And 2 I don't want to.

Quoting juju40:

Quoting babie113:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)