Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ala. hostage boy given meds, crayons and TV as standoff stretches into third day

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 21 Replies

The Alabama boy held captive for three days in an underground bunker has the medicine he needs, plus crayons, coloring books and even television to keep him calm. But authorities still could not say Thursday when he might be freed.

Hostage negotiators talked again to the boy’s captor through a lengthy PVC pipe, but there was no sign of progress, and a police chief told Alabama media that the man has been known to stay in the bunker as long as eight days.

"The negotiators are still communicating with the suspect," Robyn Bradley Litchfield, a spokeswoman for the Alabama Department of Public Safety, told the Reuters Thursday afternoon.

The boy, a 5-year-old named Ethan known to his mother as Love Bug, was apparently unharmed, a state senator said. His family, which has not spoken publicly since the abduction, was “holding on by a thread,” a state representative told NBC News.

“We are all just hoping this can come to a safe end,” Rep. Steve Clouse said on the TODAY show.

Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, a Vietnam veteran described by authorities as a loner with anti-government suspicions and by neighbors as a paranoid menace, is suspected of taking the boy after storming his school bus Tuesday afternoon and killing the driver.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/31/16794411-ala-hostage-boy-given-meds-crayons-and-tv-as-standoff-stretches-into-third-day?lite

My heart goes out to these parents as this must be terribly hard.

Could you imagine this happening to your child?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bashfull_77
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
No I could not imagine. I really hope he releases the boy soon. It is all over the news here, I live about an hour away. I would be going insane if it was my child.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I think i would have to be sedated. Seriously.

I can barely even think about this. Too many horrible things happen to families.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would probably need to be sedated.  I think it would drive me to a panic attack in the least.  I can't imagine. The little boy has autism. Can you imagine how horrid it must be for him.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Didn't see your reply before I made mine. Me too.  Sedated for sure.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I think i would have to be sedated. Seriously.

I can barely even think about this. Too many horrible things happen to families.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not sure you'd be able to keep me out of that bunker... I'd be tearing it down with my bare hands

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I am just very glad at least they got his medicine in to him.

Quoting Thelmama:

I would probably need to be sedated.  I think it would drive me to a panic attack in the least.  I can't imagine. The little boy has autism. Can you imagine how horrid it must be for him.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't imagine the anxiety having to wait as a parent knowing where your child is.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too. It brought such heart break to me. I have a child that is deathly allergic to anything with any form of dairy and eggs. Labels have to be read and he can easily be given something that would kill him by a person that does not understand allergies.  Someone like this madman could kill my son without even trying by simply giving him a hamburger on the wrong bun.  I had to pray hard not to have nightmares after I saw this on the news.  

Quoting stormcris:

I am just very glad at least they got his medicine in to him.

Quoting Thelmama:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

If I were the hostage negotiator I'd say this: come out now and give us the kid and that mercy will be considered at your hearing. 

Hurt the kid and you will be turned over to his parents to do with your sorry ass what they will. we will provide them with blowtorches and ice pics. 

meka26
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't imagine. I am praying for the little boy and his family. This man has had so many complaints against him. The law enforcement continued to do nothing to protect the people he terrorized.  Now they are surprised something like this has happened. This man should have been locked up a long time ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)