Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Since the 80's Major School Shootings have been on the Rise. 8 School Shootings already in Jan. 2013!!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 20 Replies

According to the U.S. Dept. of Ed. in 1998-1999,  surveying of 3,523 Students, 57% High Schoolers, 33% Junior Highers, & 10% Elementary kids were expelled for bringing a gun to school.  I can just image what it is today.  Before, the 80's School Shootings were basically 1 on 1 killing.  But, since the 4-20-99 Columbine, CO massacre that killed 12 students, 1 teacher & injured 21, there seems to be an sharp increase of these 'mass' killings. 

Just in this month, Jan 2013 alone, there has been 8 school shootings.  Prior to 1989 only a few incidents have occurred.  A Gallup poll taken 10-31-11, indicates that 'most' Americans believe crime in the U.S. is worsening, even though stats. not are not showing that.  I wonder why that is?  I believe it's the Economy.  In 2008, 'overwhelmingly Americans feel it's worse, even if it's not. 

I read too where in 2010, 2011 (can't find that stat.) school shootings were also very high.  I believe a total of 8 each yr.  My question, is why do you think this is happening more often?  Stats. show where most guns were obtained legally.  Perhaps, there's an increased on gun ownership, therefore their kids are able to easily obtain them. 

Here's some links I found:  When you get to the search, scroll down to the title of the link.  I don't quite know how to post it directly.

"A Digital map reveals America's Deadly History of School Shootings:

http://techpresident.com/news/23306/map-shows-history-shootings

"U.S. timeline deadliest attacks at U.S. Schools & Colleges"

http://news.msn.com/us/timeline-deadliest-attacks-at-us-schools-and-colleges

Another site is at http://www.stoptheshooting.com/  (google this site)

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Since the 80s the entire world has been trending more hostility. We have a war climate going on due to many reasons across the globe. Step back and look at the bigger picture. The reasons behind it is a feeling of being unable to help their situation so they lash out and fight as fleet is not an option.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Agree

Quoting stormcris:

Since the 80s the entire world has been trending more hostility. We have a war climate going on due to many reasons across the globe. Step back and look at the bigger picture. The reasons behind it is a feeling of being unable to help their situation so they lash out and fight as fleet is not an option.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM

It's quite frightening.

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

The media needs to stop glorifying these killers. I mean stop mentioning their names in news reports, stop making movies about them, stop writing books about them ... the way the media treats the killers is ridiculous. Enough is enough. 

Think about it. How many names of the victims can you name? How many of the killers can you name? 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Could you explain this? 

According to the U.S. Dept. of Ed. 98-99 survey of 3,523 Students, 57% HS, 33% JH, & 10% Elementary kids were expelled for bringing a gun to school.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Could you explain this? 

According to the U.S. Dept. of Ed. 98-99 survey of 3,523 Students, 57% HS, 33% JH, & 10% Elementary kids were expelled for bringing a gun to school.

I would like to know more about this particular aspect of the post as well.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Sorry.  In a survey by the U.S. Dept. of Ed., in 1998-1999, surveying 3,523 students, 57% of High Schoolers, 33% Junior Highers, & 10% Elementary kids were expelled for bringing a gun to school.   

Quoting futureshock:

Could you explain this? 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Sorry.  In a survey by the U.S. Dept. of Ed., in 1998-1999, surveying 3,523 students, 57% of High Schoolers, 33% Junior Highers, & 10% Elementary kids were expelled for bringing a gun to school.   

Quoting futureshock:

Could you explain this? 

Can you link to your source?  I tried to google this but could not find any thing.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I'm sorry I've been trying to find that link I was reading.  I can't seem to figure out why I can't put a link up anymore.  But, anyway here's where I found that info.  I just googled "U.S. School Shootings"...List of School Shootings in the U.S. I used this link:  Hopefully a page will come up, then you just click the title.  It was quite interesting to read back to the 1700's. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting futureshock:

Could you explain this? 

Can you link to your source?  I tried to google this but could not find any thing.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Naturewoman, Wikipedia is 'fact' supplied by perusers of the web. Wiki is not a fact source, it never has been. In other words, any person can write anything on any wiki page and it will be posted. Doesn't make it truth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN