Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oops, Now the Unions Tell Us They Don’t Like ObamaCare

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  • 11 Replies

Imagine.  ObamaCare is forcing up costs.  And the unions are upset!

That is, the unions which worked so hard to pass ObamaCare.  It seems someone finally noticed that mandating benefits and imposing regulations has a tendency to … increase costs.  Increases which workers are stuck paying.  Who would have imagined such a result?  It’s not like anyone warned them, right??

Reports the Wall Street Journal:

Labor unions enthusiastically backed the Obama administration’s health-care overhaul when it was up for debate. Now that the law is rolling out, some are turning sour.

Union leaders say many of the law’s requirements will drive up the costs for their health-care plans and make unionized workers less competitive. Among other things, the law eliminates the caps on medical benefits and prescription drugs used as cost-containment measures in many health-care plans. It also allows children to stay on their parents’ plans until they turn 26.

To offset that, the nation’s largest labor groups want their lower-paid members to be able to get federal insurance subsidies while remaining on their plans. In the law, these subsidies were designed only for low-income workers without employer coverage as a way to help them buy private insurance.

In early talks, the Obama administration dismissed the idea of applying the subsidies to people in union-sponsored plans, according to officials from the trade group, the National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans, that represents these insurance plans.

It’s nice that economic reality sometimes intrudes in the world of organized labor.

Well, only partially.  Naturally, the unions’ solution is more government subsidies.  Obviously the fact that Americans already face $222 trillion in unfunded federal liabilities is of no consequence.  Just open Washington’s spigots a little more and all will be well.

Sigh …

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhoenixMomof3
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Hahaa! I am coming to love watching for your name on posts! I used to LOVE debating politics and economics once upon a time... but alas, the over abundance of emotion and the sheer lack of logic that people bring to the conversation makes for a very ineffective use of time and energy. It is very discouraging, their lack of foresight and inability to contemplate the facts objectively. But I still enjoy your blunt, put it out there fashion! Hahaa! Continue to offer the education to those who are open to it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I won't lie. I giggled a little about this.

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

You aren't the only one, even the unions believed his lies.   Serves them right.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Didn't most unions get waivers though?

Quoting candlegal:

You aren't the only one, even the unions believed his lies.   Serves them right.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Imacakebaker
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

They helped elect him, so they have NO right to whine.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I figured it would only be a matter of time before those that vehemently supported this horrible piece of legislation saw it for what it really is.... of course, now they're going to fight for the government to help them out to pay for it. 

SMH

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Union members have been saying this from the beginning. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't remember many unions being onboard with the ACA at all. In fact, didn't many unions grandfather out of it?

Also, no one every really believed that there wouldn't be costs associated with the bill/tax. I suspect that many just didn't anticipate the additional costs the businesses would be paying to support the state mandated medicare tax, too.

I'm incredibly disappointed in the massive taxes put upon businesses like medical device industry, etc. Also, many states are practically belly up in their own debt so I'm not sure where the medicare taxes re going to come in, especially in states that have a large number of people falling below state minimums for purchasing their own health care through the bill. If the states can't afford the medicare to provide health care to the people who meet the criteria for state aid are those people going to be fined/taxed?

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I thought they were only temporary.

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I thought they were permanent. If they are only temporary, it would explain why the unions don't like it now. I guess they thought they were permanent too.

Quoting candlegal:

I thought they were only temporary.

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)