Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christian Prayer is Sinful

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 162 Replies
3 moms liked this
When praying to ASK GOD FOR SOMETHING OR TO CHANGE SOMETHING are you not being prideful, saying that you know better than Him? When you pray to CHANGE A PERSON, aren't you asking God to violate free will?

When praying FOR SOMEONE TO HEAL are you not asking God to change his plan for that person?

If you believe that God has a plan for everything, then who are you to try to get him to change it? Praying for THESE THINGS is both sinful and useless.

Please note: CAPS is used to emphasize certain words, please pay attention to them

Thoughts?

ETA: Just to let you know, I've had some wonderful conversations with some great ladies about this. Although I am reading all of the replies I'm only going to answer if I really feel the need to because something you have said has not been said. Most of the newer replies are not getting the point of the question, which is why I'm not answering.
Thank most of you for keeping this a civil and interesting conversation - I appreciate all your insights!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM
9 moms liked this
You should pray for healing, but also that God's will be done above all.
God tells us to pray. If He didn't want us to, He would not tell us to.
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you know God?..Know His Word? From the post I would guess no..trying to understand before I respond.

RobsPrincess24
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

When we ask God to CHANGE A PERSON, that person doesn't always change.

When we pray FOR SOMEONE TO HEAL, that person doesn't always get healed.

If that person changes, or is healed it's God's plan for them. Like the 1st poster said though, we need to pray that God's will be done above anything else. I prayed that if it be God's will, my FIL would be healed of cancer. It wasn't God's plan for him though. I may not ever know the reason for it, but I accept it.

somuchlove4U
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM
6 moms liked this
We are told in the Bible ask and you shall receive. Matt 7:7-8 7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

In my opinion asking to change someone is wrong. I can only ask God to change me. I do pray that my husband looks to God for guidance and all.

When it comes to asking for healing no I'm not asking God to change His plan. I always
say your will be done. Meaning I praying that it is God's will to heal the sick.

Praying for these things is not sinful and useless.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM
6 moms liked this

Was there an actual question or is this a post to pass judgement on how people choose to pray?

How is how anyone else chooses to pray affecting you? Why do you care so much about what or how someone else chooses to pray?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

lol

Great questions!!!

kameka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I'm not talking about all prayer, hence the emphasized words "these types". Praying for His will to be done, while redundant, is showing you believe in and trust Him, so it's not what I'm talking about. Praying for healing, as in "Please God, make my mother well", seems to be asking him to change His plan.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

You should pray for healing, but also that God's will be done above all.

God tells us to pray. If He didn't want us to, He would not tell us to.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Nope, I don't believe in most things they call sins. but I see prayers just like spells - it's asking the universe to send energy in the direction you need it. If you call that god ok, I call it energy - whatever.

kameka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
If everything goes to His plan, then what has your prayer to change them done?

Quoting RobsPrincess24:

When we ask God to CHANGE A PERSON, that person doesn't always change.

When we pray FOR SOMEONE TO HEAL, that person doesn't always get healed.

If that person changes, or is healed it's God's plan for them. Like the 1st poster said though, we need to pray that God's will be done above anything else. I prayed that if it be God's will, my FIL would be healed of cancer. It wasn't God's plan for him though. I may not ever know the reason for it, but I accept it.

kameka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
So are you just adding your 2ยข to His plan when you're asking that healing someone be in his plan? Is that not pride?

Quoting somuchlove4U:

We are told in the Bible ask and you shall receive. Matt 7:7-8 7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

In my opinion asking to change someone is wrong. I can only ask God to change me. I do pray that my husband looks to God for guidance and all.

When it comes to asking for healing no I'm not asking God to change His plan. I always

say your will be done. Meaning I praying that it is God's will to heal the sick.

Praying for these things is not sinful and useless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured