Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Muslim Proposal that Islam is Tolerant is Fallacious, Dangerous

Posted by   + Show Post

Very intersting article regarding Muslims seen through the eyes of an ex-member...

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ex-muslim-proposal-that-islam-is-tolerant-is-fallacious-dangerous-47349/

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (111-118):
lokilover
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting lokilover:

Quoting jjchick75:

Nobody said they aren't entitled to their opinions about the religion, only that they aren't a good person to go to if you want an unbiased opinion about said religion. If they left the religion obviously they had a problem with it and they are going to give you a biased view. I know from experience that many Christians and Christian orginazations would do anything to prove Islam is an evil violent religion. 

Quoting lokilover:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I think "ex-members" of any religion are the worst people to get information from. They left the religion because They didn't believe it or changed beliefs... So their "input" to me is tainted.

I haven't read the article yet, and am sure it is nonsense. But saying that apostates can not have any legitimate grievances or criticisms of their former religion is crap.

Current believers are not any less biased than non-believers. That is the point.

I didn't say they were. 

I should have said that ex-believers are no less biased than current believers. 

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM
But that's due to the people practicing, not inherent in all religion, correct?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

This is very true, however, their are too many that will not admit what you just stated.  I don't know why. 

Quoting meriana:

There can be and are bad in any and all religions because there are those who will twist things to suit their purpose and who, when they reach a position of power and/or authority in their religious group, will use/abuse that power and authority to their own ends even if it is hurtful to others of their faith.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM
But that is due to the people practicing, not inherent to all religion, correct?

Quoting meriana:

There can be and are bad in any and all religions because there are those who will twist things to suit their purpose and who, when they reach a position of power and/or authority in their religious group, will use/abuse that power and authority to their own ends even if it is hurtful to others of their faith.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM
There are only 4, right, if one does not consider the Samaritans Jewish? Judaism has extremist crazies too. But none of have only extremist crazies. I don't know if there are any extremist crazy Samaritans.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Islam like every other Abrahamic religion has extremist crazies just like Christianity.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Umm, sorry.  Hope you don't mind while I interject here.  Seems an appropriate place to kick a stop into.

How familiar are you with Ali Ayaan's life and writings?  What works of hers have you read?  What other works of Muslim and African women have you read?  What works written by Muslim women who have not left their faith and become athiests have you read?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I have no idea why I even attempt to discuss anything with you.  You are rude, arrogant and do your best to belittle and insult.  Grow up.  I could care less what faith you are, but calling names in any faith only plummets your credibility. 

Quoting muslimahpj:

Prove it. Where have I ever denied it?

You are an ass. Ever since you got pissed off at Muslimah, you have been hellbent on bashing Islam any way and any chance you get. 

Lying is not becoming, you know.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

You are in denial for the mere fact that you do not admit there are two sides to the coin, here.  As a Christian I am well aware of the extremists in my collective group and not too arrogant to refuse to recognize them for who they are.  You do not even acknowledge extremes in your own religion.  Very dishonest.   

Quoting muslimahpj:

They ignore everything we say and think we are lying and brainwashed.  Of course we are, we arent saying the things they want to hear. 

Idiots.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

How much weight do either of you put in the words of CM members who are Muslim, and have entirely different experiences as Muslim women than Ali does?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Interesting discussion.  A few of you reject her opinions as biased, hateful and point out that she is from Somalia, therefore, her Muslim experience not does apply.  In addition, I read that she is despised by a certain poster.  Basically I should  believe that every single point this woman is making is wrong and should not be believed.  She is merely speaking out in a vengeful way.

It's interesting how people are blaming the victim in order to defend Islam.  

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I read the post three times and see no place, nor point for you to interject yourself. 

In response to your question, I have not read anything other than this article by this woman.  I found it interesting, and unique.  That was the reason I posted it for discussion in the first place.  How the discussion unfolded and become ugly or worthless is simply when people could not agree if she was lying or not.  I stand by my original statements.  Their are and always will be extremists in every faith.  Muslim, Christianity, Judaism and so on.  This women's account is just that -- her account. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Umm, sorry.  Hope you don't mind while I interject here.  Seems an appropriate place to kick a stop into.

How familiar are you with Ali Ayaan's life and writings?  What works of hers have you read?  What other works of Muslim and African women have you read?  What works written by Muslim women who have not left their faith and become athiests have you read?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I have no idea why I even attempt to discuss anything with you.  You are rude, arrogant and do your best to belittle and insult.  Grow up.  I could care less what faith you are, but calling names in any faith only plummets your credibility. 

Quoting muslimahpj:

Prove it. Where have I ever denied it?

You are an ass. Ever since you got pissed off at Muslimah, you have been hellbent on bashing Islam any way and any chance you get. 

Lying is not becoming, you know.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

You are in denial for the mere fact that you do not admit there are two sides to the coin, here.  As a Christian I am well aware of the extremists in my collective group and not too arrogant to refuse to recognize them for who they are.  You do not even acknowledge extremes in your own religion.  Very dishonest.   

Quoting muslimahpj:

They ignore everything we say and think we are lying and brainwashed.  Of course we are, we arent saying the things they want to hear. 

Idiots.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

How much weight do either of you put in the words of CM members who are Muslim, and have entirely different experiences as Muslim women than Ali does?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Interesting discussion.  A few of you reject her opinions as biased, hateful and point out that she is from Somalia, therefore, her Muslim experience not does apply.  In addition, I read that she is despised by a certain poster.  Basically I should  believe that every single point this woman is making is wrong and should not be believed.  She is merely speaking out in a vengeful way.

It's interesting how people are blaming the victim in order to defend Islam.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

lol what?  I don't think you should presume to know what I am "bothered by" or not.

My responses in this thread were about the topic.  Whatever else you are excited about is some other issue.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Oh please you don't seem to be bothered by the numerous responses interjecting negative aspects of Christianity in defense of Islam....

Quoting stacymomof2:

You just can't help it, can you.

So do you believe the atheists are right about Islam but wrong about Christianity?  Because you are accusing people of a double standard, yet I think this woman is an atheist herself, is she not?  Doesn't that make you suspicious of her views on religion, as you are suspicious of Dawkins et al?

Even in a nice, obvious anti-Islam thread like this you have to act like somehow Christianity is being slammed.  It's not.  This woman is supporting what you think about Islam.  So you can feel relief that this thread at least is not criticizing Christianity, but demonizing Islam.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What this women is saying, being Islam is not a tolerant religion of peace, is also expressed by prominent Atheists referenced by many on CM.  Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris and Maher all have been, and continue to be (with the exception of the form Hitchens) very outspoken on Islam as being evil, and having nothing to offer society.  When this is brought to people's attentions, the typical response is they either claim to have never heard of these Atheists, or they dismiss their views saying they only speak for themselves.  Yet when Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris or Maher make comparable comments directed towards Christianity they are held in high regard and there views are well respected.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I just don't get it.  

Quoting Momniscient:

Right?

It's amazing isn't it?

Quoting stacymomof2:

You just can't help it, can you.

So do you believe the atheists are right about Islam but wrong about Christianity?  Because you are accusing people of a double standard, yet I think this woman is an atheist herself, is she not?  Doesn't that make you suspicious of her views on religion, as you are suspicious of Dawkins et al?

Even in a nice, obvious anti-Islam thread like this you have to act like somehow Christianity is being slammed.  It's not.  This woman is supporting what you think about Islam.  So you can feel relief that this thread at least is not criticizing Christianity, but demonizing Islam.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What this women is saying, being Islam is not a tolerant religion of peace, is also expressed by prominent Atheists referenced by many on CM.  Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris and Maher all have been, and continue to be (with the exception of the form Hitchens) very outspoken on Islam as being evil, and having nothing to offer society.  When this is brought to people's attentions, the typical response is they either claim to have never heard of these Atheists, or they dismiss their views saying they only speak for themselves.  Yet when Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris or Maher make comparable comments directed towards Christianity they are held in high regard and there views are well respected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN