Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mother Uses Gun To Protect Her Child From Armed Intruders

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 61 Replies
2 moms liked this

click for video source

I'd like to dedicate this post to those who heckled Gayle Trotter of the Independent Women's Forum when she passionately explained why women want firearms to protect themselves and their children.

Here is yet another example of exactly how spot on Gayle Trotter was in her testimony before Congress (h/t Hot Air).

Not only did this heroic mother exercise her right to defend herself and her child, she also made sure to acknowledge the sacrifice of those who have protected that right over the centuries. Incredible.

A suspect was later arrested in connection with the break-in after he showed up at a local hospital.

Of course, this video makes me wonder exactly what those who fight to disarm civilians think this woman should have done? How could she fight off three masked men who've broken into her home without her firearm?

More importantly why shouldn't this woman, specifically, be allowed to arm herself?

That might seem like a theoretical question to some. After all, nobody wants to ban the gun this mother used, right?

Well, if Legal Insurrection's weapons consultant is correct that the gun in the news report above is a Sig-Sauer P250, yes, New York State just banned new sales of magazines with a capacity of more than 7 rounds. The full size P250 can hold up to 17 rounds of 9mm ammunition while even the subcompact can hold up to 12 rounds of the same ammunition.

So the setup this mother used to defend herself in Texas is not available to mothers in New York. Hopefully if three masked men break into the home of a mother's home in New York the self defense options politicians there have approved will be enough. But, the decision on how a mother defends her children in her own home shouldn't be left up to any bureaucrat.

The choice should be hers because, as this heroic mother proves, she knows best how to defend her own family.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM
5 moms liked this

First-I don't know anyone suggesting that we should take all fire arms away from people.

A hand gun is perfect for self defense in case of an armed robber. This article is a perfect example of that. A bullet hole will send someone running and then arrested when they get help for it. If you want something more deadly a shotgun is perfect. If they are robbing you they are most likely in range to be killed by your shot.

Her story says she shot the man once. So even in New York someone with a hand gun could have done exactly what this woman did. So saying someone in New York could not do the same is an out right lie. They can. And they would still have 6 more bullets.

A hand gun is great for self defense. A shotgun is a little over kill (But great if you want to kill the person). There is no need for an M4, M16, AK47, Rocket Launcher, Tank, or any other military grade weapon. Unless you believe someone is going to be laying siege to your house with an army-Automatic rifles really are not needed for self defense.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Imacakebaker
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for her!!

D.O.E.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

i have a hard time with these arguments. 

i live in canada and unless you are extremely unlucky, or a criminal yourself, the criminal element tends to not spill over and affect normal people.

i have lived all over canada and in the worst areas and buildings, and never felt that i needed a gun to protect myself.

i think it is a sad world some of you live in where guns are needed for protection and not just hunting

dx1066
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
5 moms liked this

I have a .22 handgun.  .22's are considered mere varmit guns by most.  However my .22 holds 11 bullets.  This means my source of protection would be banned under this new proposition.  I do go to the shooting range, but I am not a great shot.  Chances are, I will need all 11 bullets to hit any intruder once or twice.  Actually protecting yourself with a gun is so different than shooting in the range.  I would imagine that I would be shaking profusely, making my aim even worse.  And to those who say a hand gun is perfect for self defense????  My gun is a hand gun, but it would still be banned.  Some people don't know enough about guns to try to police them.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

.22's are alot better than people think. I think people think size is important. A .38 will go right through you. A .22 will stay in there and just keep traveling around, really messing up the person.

If you feel you are not a good shot with a max of 3 bullets, you should continue to go to the range and practice practice practice. If you are as you say....think of the danger you pose to others. Think ricochet, think of the bullet passing right by the intruder hitting who knows.

Quoting dx1066:

I have a .22 handgun.  .22's are considered mere varmit guns by most.  However my .22 holds 11 bullets.  This means my source of protection would be banned under this new proposition.  I do go to the shooting range, but I am not a great shot.  Chances are, I will need all 11 bullets to hit any intruder once or twice.  Actually protecting yourself with a gun is so different than shooting in the range.  I would imagine that I would be shaking profusely, making my aim even worse.  And to those who say a hand gun is perfect for self defense????  My gun is a hand gun, but it would still be banned.  Some people don't know enough about guns to try to police them.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Good.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad she was able to defend herself and protect her baby. How scary!! I admit that this is one of my fears. I am home alone with two children Mon-Fri. I worry about break ins. We had one this past summer 6 houses away from me. A mother home alone with her children. Thankfully she startled the burglar and he ran out the back door instead of attacking her.  I got an alarm system after that!!

jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for her.

I have hollow points for stopping power and to avoid over penetration.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Good for her. Crisis averted.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Proud2BWeird
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Are you serious? Your claim is that criminals only go after other criminals?

Um...okay...if you say so.

Quoting D.O.E.:

i have a hard time with these arguments. 

i live in canada and unless you are extremely unlucky, or a criminal yourself, the criminal element tends to not spill over and affect normal people.

i have lived all over canada and in the worst areas and buildings, and never felt that i needed a gun to protect myself.

i think it is a sad world some of you live in where guns are needed for protection and not just hunting

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)