Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is it unprofessional to.....

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 31 Replies

To offer to barter services with someone you don't know personally?

I've had a hair appointment made for the past month for an up-do. It's for a mardi gras ball tomorrow night. My aunt made the call for me since she knows the girl and was making her own appointment as well. She was asked if she would accept a massage in trade for the updo. (I assumed) She said yes, becasue thats what my aunt said.

Now this girl tells us TODAY that she will not accept a massage as payment. I spoke with her about it and she says "Well, if I had known it would be a problem for you to pay I would have given you more notice." GAH! 

I told her (very calmly)  that it is very unprofessional to do this to someone the day before the event.

She then tells me "To be honest, I think it was unprofessional of you to even offer to trade services." Really now? Then why didn't you just say no upfront? (I didnt say that to her, but I wish I had thought of it then.)

I'm so upset right now.          But I want to know, do any of you agree with her?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catrig
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I agree with you.  

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that whole situation is bizarre. Why would you try to barter a service like that? I don't think she is wrong to refuse you, especially considering you never spoke to her about the barter yourself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I think the this entire miscommunication could have been avoided if you had called and spoken with the person you wanted to barter with directly.  

Unless you were part of the discussion your Aunt had or spoke with her directly you don't know for sure what she said or what was said to her.  

I'm sorry you are upset and disappointed.  

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM

This

Quoting katy_kay08:

I think the this entire miscommunication could have been avoided if you had called and spoken with the person you wanted to barter with directly.  

Unless you were part of the discussion your Aunt had or spoke with her directly you don't know for sure what she said or what was said to her.  

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I think that whole situation is bizarre. Why would you try to barter a service like that? I don't think she is wrong to refuse you, especially considering you never spoke to her about the barter yourself.

Why wouldn't I try to barter a service? And I don't think she is wrong to refuse me, I think she is wrong to refuse me the day before the event. I could have been looking for someone else to trade with, or saving up money for it.

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Why wouldn't I try to barter a service? And I don't think she is wrong to refuse me, I think she is wrong to refuse me the day before the event. I could have been looking for someone else to trade with, or saving up money for it.

did you call her before then to confirm the barter arrangements?  Wasn't it your responsibility to confirm it was going to work since it was you wanting to exchange services?  

If you didn't then aren't you wrong for assuming she would just go along with it and not giving her time to decline and fill that spot sooner?   

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I don't think it's unprofessional to barter. Of course, communication is key, as KK said. 

But generally speaking, I think bartering is great. 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think she was wrong to accept and then go back on her word. I see no harm in asking.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

I agree. And I'm kicking myself because my mind has been nagging at me to go and speak with her in person, but each time I mentioned it, My aunt would say no, it's fine. You don't need to talk to her.     No, i'm not blaming my aunt. It's still my fault.

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting katy_kay08:

I agree. And I'm kicking myself because my mind has been nagging at me to go and speak with her in person, but each time I mentioned it, My aunt would say no, it's fine. You don't need to talk to her.     No, i'm not blaming my aunt. It's still my fault.

I can totally understand your disappointment, especially since I think she would have been getting the far better end of the deal.  Massages aren't cheap and I would give my left arm or something soft and knitted for a fear massage.  Alas, I don't know any massage therapists to offer my arm to.  

[video type="youtube" id="ZPNqub966Tw"]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)