Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Armed DA couldn't defend himself... but you think YOU can?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 138 Replies
2 moms liked this

An assistant district attorney in Kaufman County, Hasse was fatally shot Thursday morning while outside the courthouse. The suspects fled the scene, leading to a massive search that continues.

During a morning press conference, Kaufman Police Chief Chris Aulbaugh said Hasse was shot "multiple times in the body causing his death." He would not release further information regarding his body or whether Hasse’s wallet or any other property was missing when he was found.

DPS sources confirmed to News 8 Friday Hasse was carrying a gun when he was  killed. Hasse was licensed to carry a gun as a certified peace officer. It is unclear if he attempted to use the weapon.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Craig-Watkins-shares-his-reactions-189362761.html

---------------------

This is really sad. I had met this man several times in a previous job. He was a good man and an excellent prosecutor. He  was carrying a gun when he was murdered as he was a licensed peace officer (which means he had significantly more on-going training, practice and qualifications than your run-of-the-mill CHL.)  And as a tough-on-crime prosecutor, he really did have reason to be paranoid and always watched his back. If this guy, who was about as prepared as one can get, couldn't defend himself, what in god's name makes any significantly less trained and less prepared gun carrier think they can protect themselves or anyone else? 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
5 moms liked this
People protect themselves all the time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pita369
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM
2 moms liked this
If he was ambushed then he may not have had time to react... I live in Fort Worth and I heard about it and was shocked!
lga1965
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM
6 moms liked this

I think this illustrates that nobody can say for sure that carrying a gun will actually be a defense and that if you are trained that you will be able to defend yourself ( and in some cases,defend your family) Nothing is certain and too much confidence in your ability to use your gun could be a handicap.

SweetChild63
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Conflicting reports. Some say he was ambushed; other say there was a confrontation. The Kaufman Co. Sheriff is being pretty tightlipped. 

Quoting Pita369:

If he was ambushed then he may not have had time to react... I live in Fort Worth and I heard about it and was shocked!

Pita369
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM
I haven't seen the reports but I have a little one whos 10 months so I mostly watch DVDs of music/abcs things like that to have in the background

Quoting SweetChild63:

Conflicting reports. Some say he was ambushed; other say there was a confrontation. The Kaufman Co. Sheriff is being pretty tightlipped. 

Quoting Pita369:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
5 moms liked this

Well, the story doesn't tell where he was standing in relations to the shooter(s). Doesn't tell where he kept his gun on his body. How secure it was/easy to get to, etc. Too much left untold here to make a judgement.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM
4 moms liked this

One of many reasons why I don't want to carry a gun/won't carry a gun. I'm not 100% guaranteed it'll protect me. Plus, I'd be too afraid of hitting someone else if I fired it. 

SweetChild63
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Really splitting hairs. 

Quoting EireLass:

Well, the story doesn't tell where he was standing in relations to the shooter(s). Doesn't tell where he kept his gun on his body. How secure it was/easy to get to, etc. Too much left untold here to make a judgement.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Not at all. These all play a part in successfully defending oneself. My husband carries, you'd never see it, or have any idea where it is, but I have no idea he has fast access to it, if necessary. I don't carry mine, but it's kept in the home in such a way that I know I'd be able to defend myself.

I mean, just going on the story here, the picture in my mind is that he's a man standing at a podium or behind multiple microphones, focused on the questions asked and on speaking eloquently about the facts. Then out of nowhere a person or a few people open fire on him from the crowd. No way for him to defend himself.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Really splitting hairs. 

Quoting EireLass:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM
4 moms liked this
No, it's not. She's right on point.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Really splitting hairs. 

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN