Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Armed DA couldn't defend himself... but you think YOU can?

Posted by   + Show Post

An assistant district attorney in Kaufman County, Hasse was fatally shot Thursday morning while outside the courthouse. The suspects fled the scene, leading to a massive search that continues.

During a morning press conference, Kaufman Police Chief Chris Aulbaugh said Hasse was shot "multiple times in the body causing his death." He would not release further information regarding his body or whether Hasse’s wallet or any other property was missing when he was found.

DPS sources confirmed to News 8 Friday Hasse was carrying a gun when he was  killed. Hasse was licensed to carry a gun as a certified peace officer. It is unclear if he attempted to use the weapon.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Craig-Watkins-shares-his-reactions-189362761.html

---------------------

This is really sad. I had met this man several times in a previous job. He was a good man and an excellent prosecutor. He  was carrying a gun when he was murdered as he was a licensed peace officer (which means he had significantly more on-going training, practice and qualifications than your run-of-the-mill CHL.)  And as a tough-on-crime prosecutor, he really did have reason to be paranoid and always watched his back. If this guy, who was about as prepared as one can get, couldn't defend himself, what in god's name makes any significantly less trained and less prepared gun carrier think they can protect themselves or anyone else? 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Replies (51-60):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM

How sad. :(

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Assumptions! Love it. 

I've taken self defense classes. They came in handy when I was attacked right outside my house. I got the fucker off me and I hope my elbow left a dent in his head. 

If I had a gun, I don't know what would have happened. But for one, I have no desire to kill anyone. Not even a person attacking me. Also, I very well could have ended up shooting myself or someone else who was around. Instead of spending few seconds reaching for my gun (if I had one) I spent that time kicking his ass using training I had learned. 

I can protect myself. I just don't want to use a gun to protect myself since I'm not 100% sure it would. I am not into guns but I am not anti guns. 

Quoting Proud2BWeird:
So you're comfortable being 100% sure you can't protect yourself.
Quoting mehamil1:

One of many reasons why I don't want to carry a gun/won't carry a gun. I'm not 100% guaranteed it'll protect me. Plus, I'd be too afraid of hitting someone else if I fired it. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Link? I'm really interested, not being snarky. 

Quoting Carpy:

That's what they thought in Michigan, until they were proven wrong.

Quoting mikiemom:

Yes, I think more people carrying guns will actually lead to MORE violence not less.

Mcelly
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Well, people think that they can keep a gun locked, unloaded, out of reach to others, but yet still be able to get to it fast enough so they can defend whoever it is that is invading their home and shoot accuratelly whoever is trying to kill them. 

Mcelly
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Mehamil1, I love you.

Quoting mehamil1:

Assumptions! Love it. 

I've taken self defense classes. They came in handy when I was attacked right outside my house. I got the fucker off me and I hope my elbow left a dent in his head. 

If I had a gun, I don't know what would have happened. But for one, I have no desire to kill anyone. Not even a person attacking me. Also, I very well could have ended up shooting myself or someone else who was around. Instead of spending few seconds reaching for my gun (if I had one) I spent that time kicking his ass using training I had learned. 

I can protect myself. I just don't want to use a gun to protect myself since I'm not 100% sure it would. I am not into guns but I am not anti guns. 

Quoting Proud2BWeird:
Quoting mehamil1:

One of many reasons why I don't want to carry a gun/won't carry a gun. I'm not 100% guaranteed it'll protect me. Plus, I'd be too afraid of hitting someone else if I fired it. 

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Oh my god.  If you can't shoot someone, you can't shoot someone, and some people can not, even police officers.  It is very much a mental thing and the act of doing so requires time to mentally heal.  

Everyone acts different under pressure when there are snap decisions to be made.  Eggs, carrots or coffe?  Do you become hard, limp or aromatic when you are thrown into a pot of hot water.

Now...can we carry on the with less ridiculous article titles?

gammie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

You can only do so much, when a killer wants you he will get you most of the time.

remember the school shooting they did everything they could to keep the wrong people out but he went in and met up with the Principal and Nurse and they both rushed him to stop him and he still killed!!

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM

HAHAHAHA! I love to be loved! Love you too! 

Quoting Mcelly:

Mehamil1, I love you.

Quoting mehamil1:

Assumptions! Love it. 

Quoting Proud2BWeird:
Quoting mehamil1:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pepperbox:

*says civilain that doesn't see the point* 

So you see nothing wrong with expoiting "YOUR OWN" child in the military? 

"Ohhh look at me!! Military mom here, but eff PTSD AND GUNS!" 

Wait, using sweetchilds "logic" you must be one of her profiles. Really, if I was a brick wall you would still be arguing with me. 

I'm done, unless your antigun highness wants to back up her BS. Troll!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Ah, so it seems the OP is against all guns, at any time and any place.  

Okay.

I certainly do not agree with her there but she is entitled to her opinion. *shrug*

Wow.  You have a serious hard on and don't mind taking it out and pointing it at every one.

If that is what you took from my words, that is all on  you, kiddo.

I have been around the military my entire life.  My ex husband has been in 23 years.  I know more about the military than you assumed.

I've never seen the OP use any one, her own children or otherwise, to further any agenda.  I'm not saying that she is not doing so, but I am saying this is the first post I can recall ever seeing from her.

I do not know her, I do not know her history.  Perhaps if I did, I would feel differently.  I'm certainly not going to read all of her posts in this group, or otherwise, to determine what you think she is all about.  She just isn't that important to me.

You are a pretty ignorant child.  You assume and assume and haven't a clue.  When some one doesn't understand your brand of English and asks questions to clarify you get all upset and act like a kid throwing a tantrum.  Then you assume I am agreeing with the OP when I made it clear I do not.

Grow up.  What ever the agenda of the OP is and your issues with her.........you might want to take a step back and breath a bit.  

You need to show me where I have stated I am anti-gun.  Oh wait...........you can't.

And some people wonder why there is concern about every single person having access to a damn gun.  You are a prime example.  You are so obsessed and upset over the OP of this thread that you can't think straight and take it out on others.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mandaday:

Wow chick, issues much? A said nothing along the lines of thinking that all guns are evil, etc.
Why such hostility? Not everyone who engages in a discussion is out to fight, I promise.

Quoting Pepperbox:

*says civilain that doesn't see the point* 

So you see nothing wrong with expoiting "YOUR OWN" child in the military? 

"Ohhh look at me!! Military mom here, but eff PTSD AND GUNS!" 

Wait, using sweetchilds "logic" you must be one of her profiles. Really, if I was a brick wall you would still be arguing with me. 

I'm done, unless your antigun highness wants to back up her BS. Troll!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Ah, so it seems the OP is against all guns, at any time and any place.  

Okay.

I certainly do not agree with her there but she is entitled to her opinion. *shrug*

Thank you!  Goodness.  She is off her rocker and all I was trying to do was understand where she was coming from and what she was trying to say.

She is hell bent on painting the OP as a crazy person when all she has done is made herself look like one.

Whew!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)