Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Armed DA couldn't defend himself... but you think YOU can?

Posted by   + Show Post

An assistant district attorney in Kaufman County, Hasse was fatally shot Thursday morning while outside the courthouse. The suspects fled the scene, leading to a massive search that continues.

During a morning press conference, Kaufman Police Chief Chris Aulbaugh said Hasse was shot "multiple times in the body causing his death." He would not release further information regarding his body or whether Hasse’s wallet or any other property was missing when he was found.

DPS sources confirmed to News 8 Friday Hasse was carrying a gun when he was  killed. Hasse was licensed to carry a gun as a certified peace officer. It is unclear if he attempted to use the weapon.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Craig-Watkins-shares-his-reactions-189362761.html

---------------------

This is really sad. I had met this man several times in a previous job. He was a good man and an excellent prosecutor. He  was carrying a gun when he was murdered as he was a licensed peace officer (which means he had significantly more on-going training, practice and qualifications than your run-of-the-mill CHL.)  And as a tough-on-crime prosecutor, he really did have reason to be paranoid and always watched his back. If this guy, who was about as prepared as one can get, couldn't defend himself, what in god's name makes any significantly less trained and less prepared gun carrier think they can protect themselves or anyone else? 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Replies (131-138):
areid1023
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM

are you referring to the teacher that went to his car to retrieve the weapon that ultimately took down the assailant?

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

since I only read the story online, I'm not sure how many people were outside. Here in AMERICA, the police and court officials are usually inside the courtroom, not outside smoking and milling about, so it's unknown how many cops may or may not have been outside.  Smoking rates are decreasing stateside. 

Eh, if they aim to maim and they miss, and they kill a murderer, I wouldn't shed a tear. Personally, I'm a pretty good shot but I wouldn't be too worried about aiming in this circumstance, just stopping the person before they could get away.

Actually, there was a mall shooting recently where a citizen pulled a gun when he saw the shooter-shooter retreated and killed himself immeditately.  Also, a school shooter in the USA was shot by an armed teacher, saving lives.  

And since the post is about American news, I would use the American spelling :)

Quoting turtle68:

so this was outside a courthouse...the DA had a license to carry as per his job, do you think there were any policemen, other courthouse security who had a weapon on them?  Dont know about your courthouse but the ones here have detectives / policemen all mulling about outside smoking, talking to their clients etc etc.  on any given day I bet there would be at least 5-10 cops outside the courthouse.

you can shoot to maim, but most are taught to aim for the largest area on that person, the torso...the chances of missing a limb is high.

The problem with the reaction from the public stance is that people DONT react how they want to react.  I only know two people who have sharp reflexes...most people would be standing in shock watching the shooter disappear.  Which is what happens...otherwise those others carrying weapons would of pulled out their shooters and shot at the car.  They didnt...as they didnt in the mall murders and other public area shootings.

P.S...only in America is it defense...in England where English is from, its defence.  sorry to burst your little spelling bubble.  Widen your horizons :-)

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

if I was ambushed, no, I would probably not be able to save myself. I would fully expect my husband to shoot the person who did it, or anyone else around me, to prevent them from escaping.  I never said kill, you can shoot to maim as well.  Maybe if there was more fear of a reaction from the citizens then more people would think twice before murdering a man in public, in broad daylight.

...and it's spelled "defense".

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

He was ambushed.  The point of people being allowed to carry a gun in public is that someone else could have shot at the killer while he was fleeing, thus ending a large and expensive manhunt.

really? so its not for self defence...its to kill other killers.

my little bug! 11-29-08

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I am in Fort Worth too. My husband has done some work with him though, and was quite upset.

Quoting Pita369:

If he was ambushed then he may not have had time to react... I live in Fort Worth and I heard about it and was shocked!

1Giovanni
by Becca on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I also stopped a guy by shooting him in the arm. He stopped and ran. The cops found him at the hospital, he was a serial rapist they have been looking for him for months.

Quoting ArianEponae:

Of course I can. I've done it. Shot the jerk in the arm, but it stopped him. Living proof. I am not alone...

ArianEponae
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Way to go!

Quoting 1Giovanni:

I also stopped a guy by shooting him in the arm. He stopped and ran. The cops found him at the hospital, he was a serial rapist they have been looking for him for months.

Quoting ArianEponae:

Of course I can. I've done it. Shot the jerk in the arm, but it stopped him. Living proof. I am not alone...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Awesome! You must have felt so proud of yourself to stop him. :o) !!!

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Quoting ArianEponae:

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

There are a lot of variables in these situations.  Just because you may not be able to protect yourself doesn't mean you shouldn't have the opportunity too.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Anybody can get to anybody if they want to. Having a concealed weapon isn't a personal forcefield that keeps badguys away, if they want to wait right outside your door and stab you with a butcher knife as you walk out to get the paper, that's likely going to happen. That scenario - similar to what happened here - is closer to an assassination. A concealed weapons permit IS going to deter your average criminal. The majority of them are average. I wouldn't be too sure about the training level of the average CHL holder...while this man may have been trained to the level of Travis Haley and Chris Costa, your average CHL holder likely trains to a better skill level than a police officer.
tambrathegreat
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

That's sad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured