Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What happens when men stop enlisting in the military because women are in combat?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 79 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you comfortable with women in combat roles in the military?

Options:

yes

no

in the future but not now

not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 92

View Results

I've read a few articles on the web. I've watched far to many opinions from people who have never been members of the military as well as current military men and veterans. Men are afraid that women will claim sexual harassment. Why? Some men admit that they clearly do not know where the line is that they shouldn't cross. Some men feel like women ulteriorly have an agenda to discredit men in general.

"Respondents also worried that women would be limited because of pregnancy or personal issues that could affect a unit before it's sent to the battlefield."

"About 17 percent of male Marine respondents and 4 percent of female respondents who planned to stay in the service or were undecided said they would likely leave if women move into combat positions. That number jumped to 22 percent for male Marines and 17 percent for female Marines if women are assigned involuntarily to those jobs, according to the survey."

"Elaine Donnelly of the conservative Center for Military Readiness and a vocal critic of the change said the survey asked the wrong questions and should have been asking if troops favor it and whether it will make a more effective force. The questionnaire also relied on the "mistaken belief" that training standards will remain the same, which Donnelly said is not realistic given the differing physical abilities between the genders. She said the Pentagon is bent on imposing gender-based quotas that will drive down standards. Defense leaders say standards will not be lowered."

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Marine-survey-lists-concerns-on-women-in-combat-4242071.php

On the flip side:

"Women argue they've already been in combat, they just aren't recognized for it or lack proper training. Commanders have found women increasingly useful in Iraq in Afghanistan, where only female members of the military are allowed to communicate and work with other women in the villages."

"I believe in the long run, as we define for our military professionals women are their equals, I think we're going to see a reduction in harassment," he said. "I don't think it'll change overnight, but I think that change will take place."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57567195/marines-study-shows-resistance-to-women-in-combat/

What's really changing? I've never been in the military. As far as I know women have been in combat. If truly integrating the military to 'allow' women in all combat zones realistically keeps men from enlisting and/or furthering their military careers, then what? Will the gov't enforce a draft of men?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
7 moms liked this

Quote:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2012-02-08/war-women-pentagon/53017764/1

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Pentagon is unveiling plans Thursday to allow women to serve in thousands of military jobs closer to the front lines, reflecting the realities of the last decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan

Defense officials say the new rules will still mean that woman are barred from serving as infantry, armor and special operations forces — considered the most dangerous combat jobs. But the changes will open the door for more opportunities and promotions for women by allowing them to perform jobs they are already performing, but in battalions, which are closer to the fighting and once considered too dangerous for women.

A 1994 combat exclusion policy bans women from being assigned to ground combat units below the brigade level. A brigade is roughly 3,500 troops split into several battalions of about 800 soldiers each. Historically, brigades were based farther from the front lines and often include top command and support staff, while the battalions are usually in closer contact with the enemy.

In the past decade, the necessities of war propelled women into jobs such as medics, military police and intelligence officers, and they were sometimes attached — but not formally assigned — to battalions. So while a woman couldn't be assigned as an infantryman in a battalion going out on patrol, she could fly the helicopter supporting the unit, or move in to provide medical aid if troops were injured.

The officials said the new rules will formally allow women to work in those jobs at the battalion level.

I don't believe for one second the changes will cause men to stop enlisting.  

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't think this is an issue.

If a guy cannot distinguish between what is and what is not appropriate. They shouldn't be in any military branch.

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Sad that women must make themselves inferior. Not all women would want to be in combat, but some are perfectly capable. A real man would be able to handle it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Eh. There was a huge freak out over the DADT repeal and gay people in the military.

So far as I've seen America hasn't fallen apart and we still have a giant military industrial complex and people still have uninformed and kneejerk opinions.

Why assume men are morons across the board? It's insulting to men.

lady-J-Rock
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah sorry to burst your bubble but women are already performing combat roles. Im pretty sure Jessica Lynch wasn't in a combat unit. Did that stop her from being a prisoner of war? No. The lines are blurry, women are in supply units, one big goal is to take away your enemies supplies because without supplies you will lose the war. I sat on the border of Kuwait and Iraq in a guard tower. I could see flashes of light I could hear explosions is that not front line enough?

If not thats ok my parents believe I was in some sort of safe bubble. far away from any fighting. to tell them otherwise would probably kill my mother.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

Eh. There was a huge freak out over the DADT repeal and gay people in the military.

So far as I've seen America hasn't fallen apart and we still have a giant military industrial complex and people still have uninformed and kneejerk opinions.

I'm not implying that men are morons at all. I do understand the concerns of some men who feel like they don't have clear knowledge of harassment and fear haphazard retaliation.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Quoting PinkParadox:

Sad that women must make themselves inferior. Not all women would want to be in combat, but some are perfectly capable. A real man would be able to handle it.

I'm not a man so I can't know what 'a REAL man' would do. As a woman my POV is naturally skewed.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Yeah sorry to burst your bubble but women are already performing combat roles. Im pretty sure Jessica Lynch wasn't in a combat unit. Did that stop her from being a prisoner of war? No. The lines are blurry, women are in supply units, one big goal is to take away your enemies supplies because without supplies you will lose the war. I sat on the border of Kuwait and Iraq in a guard tower. I could see flashes of light I could hear explosions is that not front line enough?

If not thats ok my parents believe I was in some sort of safe bubble. far away from any fighting. to tell them otherwise would probably kill my mother.

I guess you missed the last paragraph of my post:

--What's really changing? I've never been in the military. As far as I know women have been in combat.--

lady-J-Rock
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Momniscient:

I'm not implying that men are morons at all. I do understand the concerns of some men who feel like they don't have clear knowledge of harassment and fear haphazard retaliation.

Oh men in the military know because we go through sexual harassment training and diversity training. A whole lot of training to most people its like well duh. You don't ask a girl if she wants to see your penis? Yes I had a guy ask me a few times um no, no, no. Are you sure and whipped it out anyways. thats not okay no matter where you are, or who you are. You don't walk up to a women and say I like your ass, or boobs. Women you don't walk up to a man and ask how big his penis is. You don't make rude gestures either.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I wasn't referring to your sentiment, more the opinions I've seen here and the public backlash.

There are kinks to work out of any major policy change but I really think that women have already been a presence and it won't really be that rocky.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Momniscient:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN