Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mine ate all the jerky and is in major time out.

I have used a slap to thje rump or an upslap under the jowls in the past with animals.  I have also used a crop.

I havent gone near her today I am too mad and she knows it

Do you think dogs can benefit from physical discipline?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (51-60):
survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM

As I said I did not spank the dog,.  She has bee shunned but that has been the only consequence she has faced.  Well, I scolded her first think this am as well.

Had I come up on her I may have given her a swat especially if she had continued to gulp it down.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Punching a horse because its biting you is far different than spanking a dog who ate some beef jerkey.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Lol some people are all, "*gasp* you hit your DOG? Oh.. the humanity! *fake faint*"

Never owned a big dog, huh? That's OK.

Guess what some people do to horses that bite? Punch them in the nose, right then and there.

Oh noooooooooooooes

Pun intended.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

kameka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM
I've found installing a "leave it" command works wonders, as does a short, loud "eh" noise. If some sort of physical correction is needed a poke with all five fingers spread into a claw does well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alf2651
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM

She'll get a swat on the rump or a tap on the nose if she's being too rough or misbehaving. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

No, we don't hit our animals.

I have squirted them with water and yelled really loudly to scare them. Works great on the cat.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I don't think anything 'benefits' from physical discipline.

Read 'Don't Shoot the Dog.'

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Breed trait! My Jack Russel is STUBBORN!

Quoting jlo1313:

I have when first starting training, but after they are trained, no.  The only time I really remember having to get to that point where I spanked and some other method didn't work was with my own Jack Russell, that little boy had a will that put human stubbornness to shame. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I've never swatted my dog hard enough to hurt... It's more like a tap on the rump to get their attention when they are about to or are doing something wrong. :-). Just like my kids, my dogs respond to different things. One dog only requires a "no" and a pointed finger. The other is beyond stubborn and requires a thump on the rear to get his attention.
Quoting Paperfishies:

When I had one, no.
What the hell is it with Americans hitting their children and animals?

I will never understand hitting and intentionally hurting something or someone you supposedly love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I think there's a difference between hitting/beating the dog & thumping their behind to get their attention off the negative behavior...

If the dog yelps then I have an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I've never been much of a dog beater but there was that one time I fipped my lid over yet another pair of good shoes being chewed up. I beat that'dog's butt with the shoe and I'm able to say it was the last shoe he ever chewed up.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't. It's my problem if they misbehave- as I haven't then taken the time to train them-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)