Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mine ate all the jerky and is in major time out.

I have used a slap to thje rump or an upslap under the jowls in the past with animals.  I have also used a crop.

I havent gone near her today I am too mad and she knows it

Do you think dogs can benefit from physical discipline?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (81-90):
little.worthen
by Tess on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jers.
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I've owned Rotties, GSDs, Mastiffs, Pits, etc and many at the same time.  I've never hit any of them.  Maybe you should get a goldfish.

Quoting survivorinohio:

The crop I had was basically a stick with 2 pieces of padded leather on the end which made a loud clacking sound on impact.  I have never caused a dog to yelp with that crop but without it I would never have stopped hundreds of dog fights.  I owned 5 dalmatians and 3 rotts at the time and didnt want them to injure each other.  The crop was not a whip and it was effective in stopping the fights and keeping me at a safe distance.

Quoting lancet98:

No, I do not think dogs benefit from physical discipline, I think that 'physical discipline' is the excuse of the incompetent trainer, and I've competed and trained many dogs successfully,  for many many years and there is a better way to do things.  

And I would NEVER leave cat litter or cat food ANYWHERE where a dog could even possibly get at it, both are too much of a risk and can do a lot of damage to a dog.  The cat's food and litter pan can be in a crate with the door latched so the cats can get in but not the dog.  If the dog is 'sneaking' some once in a while you can bet it's eating more of it when it's loose in the house 8-12 hrs a day while you're gone.

I think using a 'crop' (it's a whip, face it, it's not a 'crop') on them betrays a very bad dog trainer, and is a disgusting display of a lack of self control.   In addition, disciplining a dog after the deed is a stupid waste of energy and just a way of having some living thing to beat on instead of learning how to do things properly.  

If you don't want your dog to eat something, don't leave it out, or don't leave the dog loose in the house for so many hours with nothing to do, put it in a crate during the time that you're too lazy to keep an eye on the dog and attempt to not have the dog in a crate all the time as well (for god's sake).  And don't blame the dog for your own laziness and incompetence at training.

Taking your own frustrations out on a living thing is called abuse, whether it is a dog or a child.   And beating on a dog is just being in training for beating on a kid.   Don't do it.

Oh yeah, it's just one smack on the butt.   That's all, wouldn't hurt a fly, just scaring him.   And SCARING an animal does not equal TRAINING IT.   Try spending that time taking the dog for a walk instead, and find something else to take out your frustrations on, like making bread or something.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Quoting Jers.:

You don't know much about dogs, do you?!

lol

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

okie dokie.  Your opinion has been noted and filed.

Quoting Jers.:

I've owned Rotties, GSDs, Mastiffs, Pits, etc and many at the same time.  I've never hit any of them.  Maybe you should get a goldfish.

Quoting survivorinohio:

The crop I had was basically a stick with 2 pieces of padded leather on the end which made a loud clacking sound on impact.  I have never caused a dog to yelp with that crop but without it I would never have stopped hundreds of dog fights.  I owned 5 dalmatians and 3 rotts at the time and didnt want them to injure each other.  The crop was not a whip and it was effective in stopping the fights and keeping me at a safe distance.

Quoting lancet98:

No, I do not think dogs benefit from physical discipline, I think that 'physical discipline' is the excuse of the incompetent trainer, and I've competed and trained many dogs successfully,  for many many years and there is a better way to do things.  

And I would NEVER leave cat litter or cat food ANYWHERE where a dog could even possibly get at it, both are too much of a risk and can do a lot of damage to a dog.  The cat's food and litter pan can be in a crate with the door latched so the cats can get in but not the dog.  If the dog is 'sneaking' some once in a while you can bet it's eating more of it when it's loose in the house 8-12 hrs a day while you're gone.

I think using a 'crop' (it's a whip, face it, it's not a 'crop') on them betrays a very bad dog trainer, and is a disgusting display of a lack of self control.   In addition, disciplining a dog after the deed is a stupid waste of energy and just a way of having some living thing to beat on instead of learning how to do things properly.  

If you don't want your dog to eat something, don't leave it out, or don't leave the dog loose in the house for so many hours with nothing to do, put it in a crate during the time that you're too lazy to keep an eye on the dog and attempt to not have the dog in a crate all the time as well (for god's sake).  And don't blame the dog for your own laziness and incompetence at training.

Taking your own frustrations out on a living thing is called abuse, whether it is a dog or a child.   And beating on a dog is just being in training for beating on a kid.   Don't do it.

Oh yeah, it's just one smack on the butt.   That's all, wouldn't hurt a fly, just scaring him.   And SCARING an animal does not equal TRAINING IT.   Try spending that time taking the dog for a walk instead, and find something else to take out your frustrations on, like making bread or something.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes but not as punishment.

We use a strong command word to stop behavior and then he is sent to his room/crate.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM

No

LillyJDv3.0
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I don't hit my dog. She acts up sometimes but she listens to me when told no. Using physical force with her isn't nessasary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I have a 12 pound shih tzu.

No, I do not spank him.  If I look at him cross eyed he turns tail and hides.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Nope. Never.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Absolutely not!  I never spanked my kids and can't imagine spanking a dog.  I don't have a dog, but I dog sit for my neighbor....she has a Chow/Shepard mix, a mini weiner dog and 3 cat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)