Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was this offensive? (Church related) Edit~

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 616 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Was what I said so offensive?

Options:

No, I don't think it was offensive at all.

Hmm...it was a little innapropriate.

Yes it was wrong. You shouldn't have said that about God.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 220

View Results

It turns out many of the other kids had phones. The other lady in charge was shocked that Bob would react that way. She understood how important it is for parents to be able to contact their kids and that she felt cell phones were a great idea. She then apologised and said if I allow Savannah to go to the camp this summer she'll make sure she brings her phone. I feel slightly better,lol.

My 13yo dd is going to camp with the church. They'll be gone for three days and she is soo excited :-) I'm sure she'll have a great time but there's just one problem. No cell phones are allowed. I told her no problem, as long as she's able to borrow one and give me a call at night it'll be fine.

So when I dropped her off yesterday I sought out her youth leader to confirm that she'll be able to call me.

Me: Hey Bob, I understand that no cell phones are allowed but I need to make sure that Savannah call call me at night to check in.

Bob: Well...I hope that there are some pay phones near by.

Me: *Raises eyebrow* Why can't she borrow an adults cell phone?

Bob: Well you see we discourage phone calls because we want the kids to focus on God.

Savannah: I'm just going to be calling her at night.

Bob: Isn't God with you at night?

Me: I don't care where God is. There's no way I'm going to go three days without speaking to my daughter. Can she use a phone or not?

At this point Bob looks like I kicked his dog. The whole group goes silent.

Bob murmurs: Interesting... Okay she can she my phone.

I leave the shocked silence of the group.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM
8 moms liked this

I got a phone call abot 11:00 last night :-)

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM
8 moms liked this

You were offensive.   You use this church for me time and then get mad because she has to concentrate on God?  Let her go and follow the rules or keep her at home.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM
14 moms liked this

I use this Church because my child identifies as a Christian. And I don't see how a 30 sec phone call to her mother at night is going to detract from her relationship with God.

Quoting talia-mom:

You were offensive.   You use this church for me time and then get mad because she has to concentrate on God?  Let her go and follow the rules or keep her at home.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM
9 moms liked this

If those are the rules of the camp why shouldn't your daughter follow the rules if she wants to go?

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I take it you have never sent you kid off to summer camp of school camp.  

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I understand both sides of this. As a leader on trips like this, kids having cell phones is absolutely damaging to the purpose of the trip. But in this era, it makes sense to make sure they're able to call home at night. Before cell phones, my mom used to give me a phone card and I used the pay phones acouple of times during the week to let her know i was still alive. But you were kind of rude about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Good question.  Don't like the rules...don't participate.  

Quoting Peanutx3:

If those are the rules of the camp why shouldn't your daughter follow the rules if she wants to go?

kaffedrikke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
7 moms liked this

I can understand where you're coming from.  I'd probably feel the same way. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
11 moms liked this

The rules were no cell phones. I agreed. What I don't agree with is no contact with with her parents for the entire trip. And no, if she wasn't allowed to call me then she wasn't allowed to go.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep.  I don't care what she said about God, she only stated her opinion of God.  But rules are rules.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Good question.  Don't like the rules...don't participate.  

Quoting Peanutx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN