Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was this offensive? (Church related) Edit~

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Was what I said so offensive?

Options:

No, I don't think it was offensive at all.

Hmm...it was a little innapropriate.

Yes it was wrong. You shouldn't have said that about God.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 220

View Results

It turns out many of the other kids had phones. The other lady in charge was shocked that Bob would react that way. She understood how important it is for parents to be able to contact their kids and that she felt cell phones were a great idea. She then apologised and said if I allow Savannah to go to the camp this summer she'll make sure she brings her phone. I feel slightly better,lol.

My 13yo dd is going to camp with the church. They'll be gone for three days and she is soo excited :-) I'm sure she'll have a great time but there's just one problem. No cell phones are allowed. I told her no problem, as long as she's able to borrow one and give me a call at night it'll be fine.

So when I dropped her off yesterday I sought out her youth leader to confirm that she'll be able to call me.

Me: Hey Bob, I understand that no cell phones are allowed but I need to make sure that Savannah call call me at night to check in.

Bob: Well...I hope that there are some pay phones near by.

Me: *Raises eyebrow* Why can't she borrow an adults cell phone?

Bob: Well you see we discourage phone calls because we want the kids to focus on God.

Savannah: I'm just going to be calling her at night.

Bob: Isn't God with you at night?

Me: I don't care where God is. There's no way I'm going to go three days without speaking to my daughter. Can she use a phone or not?

At this point Bob looks like I kicked his dog. The whole group goes silent.

Bob murmurs: Interesting... Okay she can she my phone.

I leave the shocked silence of the group.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Then you should have kept her home instead of having them bend to your wishes.

Quoting paganbaby:

The rules were no cell phones. I agreed. What I don't agree with is no contact with with her parents for the entire trip. And no, if she wasn't allowed to call me then she wasn't allowed to go.

Quoting Peanutx3:

If those are the rules of the camp why shouldn't your daughter follow the rules if she wants to go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

because you believe you are above the rules.

This is a trip to help her grow closer to God.   She is actually able to be away from you for 3 days with no contact if she is 13. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Why should I keep her at home? He agreed to let her call me.

Quoting talia-mom:

Then don't let her go.

Do you whine about everything?

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you :=-) I didn't think a phone call at night was asking for too much.

Quoting kaffedrikke:

I can understand where you're coming from.  I'd probably feel the same way. 

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM
I would go to church camp every summer for an entire week and never called my parents

Honestly you were out of line and three days isn't that long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting talia-mom:

You were offensive.   You use this church for me time and then get mad because she has to concentrate on God?  Let her go and follow the rules or keep her at home.

It doesn't matter what her intentions are. Her daughter should be able to call her.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Looks like we each have different parenting styles. I'm glad that worked for you and that your dd had a great time.

Quoting Peanutx3:

o.O

Hmm I guess I don't have an issue with letting my children grow their wings.  My 10 year old went to camp for a week and she didn't call me once and had an amazing time.  She was able to focus on making new friends and learning about her relationship with God.  I was happy to give her that time to disconnect from electronics and be herself without worrying about what mom thinks.

Quoting paganbaby:

Not giving her space would be me insisting on coming along like some parents did,lol.

Quoting Peanutx3:

It's 3 days!!!!  Your daughter is 13.  Why can't she go without talking to you for a few days?  It may be time to let your daughter have a little space.

Quoting paganbaby:

The rules were no cell phones. I agreed. What I don't agree with is no contact with with her parents for the entire trip. And no, if she wasn't allowed to call me then she wasn't allowed to go.

Quoting Peanutx3:

If those are the rules of the camp why shouldn't your daughter follow the rules if she wants to go?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM
7 moms liked this

It is not unreasonable for you to expect a phone call or that an adult would allow her to call you. If night one went by and I didn't receive a call I would be up there by day break, or perhaps 1:00 A.M. to pick up my kid. If I even let her go.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Not if that is their rules.  

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting talia-mom:

You were offensive.   You use this church for me time and then get mad because she has to concentrate on God?  Let her go and follow the rules or keep her at home.

It doesn't matter what her intentions are. Her daughter should be able to call her.

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not christan and I think you are out of line. She is 13 and its 3 days not 3 weeks. Get over it. Talk about over protective. They would call if something happend.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

That is a greatr idea! I wish I had thought of that.

And yeah, it is a crazy world. Call me nuts but I need my dd to have a way to contact me.

Quoting LuvingMy3Girls:

Nope you are fine. I on the other hand would have packed her phone told her to keep it off and text me as needed. That's what we did at 6th grade camp and Girl Scout camp. It's a crazy world and I refuse to leave my kids without a way to contact me

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I disagree.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Then you should have kept her home instead of having them bend to your wishes.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)