Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was this offensive? (Church related) Edit~

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Was what I said so offensive?

Options:

No, I don't think it was offensive at all.

Hmm...it was a little innapropriate.

Yes it was wrong. You shouldn't have said that about God.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 220

View Results

It turns out many of the other kids had phones. The other lady in charge was shocked that Bob would react that way. She understood how important it is for parents to be able to contact their kids and that she felt cell phones were a great idea. She then apologised and said if I allow Savannah to go to the camp this summer she'll make sure she brings her phone. I feel slightly better,lol.

My 13yo dd is going to camp with the church. They'll be gone for three days and she is soo excited :-) I'm sure she'll have a great time but there's just one problem. No cell phones are allowed. I told her no problem, as long as she's able to borrow one and give me a call at night it'll be fine.

So when I dropped her off yesterday I sought out her youth leader to confirm that she'll be able to call me.

Me: Hey Bob, I understand that no cell phones are allowed but I need to make sure that Savannah call call me at night to check in.

Bob: Well...I hope that there are some pay phones near by.

Me: *Raises eyebrow* Why can't she borrow an adults cell phone?

Bob: Well you see we discourage phone calls because we want the kids to focus on God.

Savannah: I'm just going to be calling her at night.

Bob: Isn't God with you at night?

Me: I don't care where God is. There's no way I'm going to go three days without speaking to my daughter. Can she use a phone or not?

At this point Bob looks like I kicked his dog. The whole group goes silent.

Bob murmurs: Interesting... Okay she can she my phone.

I leave the shocked silence of the group.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (571-580):
survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

When I went to camp at age ten I did not see or talk to my parents for a whole week.  Thats what camp is about.  I did not suffer as a result, I canoed, swam and had one hell of a mud fight :)

Quoting paganbaby:

The rules were no cell phones. I agreed. What I don't agree with is no contact with with her parents for the entire trip. And no, if she wasn't allowed to call me then she wasn't allowed to go.

Quoting Peanutx3:

If those are the rules of the camp why shouldn't your daughter follow the rules if she wants to go?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Because I needed to make room for the new update and didn't want to clutter up my post.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Why did you delete the other updates, OP?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Well said!!

Quoting NewMom11222011:

I'm sure OP did not EXPECT her child to be abused on this trip, otherwise she would not have allowed her to go.  On the other hand, most of the parents who have had children abused by adults into whose care they have entrusted them did not expect abuse either, but it happened.  The opportunity to call home and let her mom know something was wrong, whether through words or tone, so that mom could come and get her should be allowed without question and it is not unrealistic for OP to expect this.  The OP had a choice after the uncomfortable encounter with "Bob" whether to let her child, who obviously wanted to go, continue on the trip or take her home and she allowed her to go.  After said encounter, I would also have been uncomfortable with not hearing from her and not having the counselors respond.  Putting aside any fears of direct harm from the group itself, have we all forgotten Newtown?  Complete strangers could come in and hurt the children also.  I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned if you don't hear back from anyone after leaving messages.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Congratulations.

So?

Quoting survivorinohio:

When I went to camp at age ten I did not see or talk to my parents for a whole week.  Thats what camp is about.  I did not suffer as a result, I canoed, swam and had one hell of a mud fight :)

Quoting paganbaby:

The rules were no cell phones. I agreed. What I don't agree with is no contact with with her parents for the entire trip. And no, if she wasn't allowed to call me then she wasn't allowed to go.

Quoting Peanutx3:

If those are the rules of the camp why shouldn't your daughter follow the rules if she wants to go?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

This bears repeating.

Quoting LindaClement:

People have different structures for their families. Clearly, you're okay with 13yos doing more independently than she is.

The child in the situation IS immature. It's why people look down on 13yo mothers. It's why they're not expected to live on their own by then. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a child to check in once a day. As I said: many adults expect their spouses to do so, and it's NOT because they're afraid the people they're with are abusing them.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Rules are rules..

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of SS officers believed that right up until their war crime trials...

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

LOL

so, I dont think a few days would kill either of them.

Quoting LindaClement:

Congratulations.

So?

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM

What does war crime trials have to do with a cell phone at a church camp? 

Camps are normally for disconnecting for a while, it is not going to hurt anyone not to have a cell phone  

Quoting LindaClement:

A lot of SS officers believed that right up until their war crime trials...

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Bob needs a smack-down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)