Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was this offensive? (Church related) Edit~

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Was what I said so offensive?

Options:

No, I don't think it was offensive at all.

Hmm...it was a little innapropriate.

Yes it was wrong. You shouldn't have said that about God.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 220

View Results

It turns out many of the other kids had phones. The other lady in charge was shocked that Bob would react that way. She understood how important it is for parents to be able to contact their kids and that she felt cell phones were a great idea. She then apologised and said if I allow Savannah to go to the camp this summer she'll make sure she brings her phone. I feel slightly better,lol.

My 13yo dd is going to camp with the church. They'll be gone for three days and she is soo excited :-) I'm sure she'll have a great time but there's just one problem. No cell phones are allowed. I told her no problem, as long as she's able to borrow one and give me a call at night it'll be fine.

So when I dropped her off yesterday I sought out her youth leader to confirm that she'll be able to call me.

Me: Hey Bob, I understand that no cell phones are allowed but I need to make sure that Savannah call call me at night to check in.

Bob: Well...I hope that there are some pay phones near by.

Me: *Raises eyebrow* Why can't she borrow an adults cell phone?

Bob: Well you see we discourage phone calls because we want the kids to focus on God.

Savannah: I'm just going to be calling her at night.

Bob: Isn't God with you at night?

Me: I don't care where God is. There's no way I'm going to go three days without speaking to my daughter. Can she use a phone or not?

At this point Bob looks like I kicked his dog. The whole group goes silent.

Bob murmurs: Interesting... Okay she can she my phone.

I leave the shocked silence of the group.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (581-590):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Where does 'rules are rules' stop?

I object to stupid, dangerous, or arbitrary rules, on the basis that they're stupid or dangerous or arbitrary, the fact that they're 'rules' is irrelevant.

If no one challenges them because they are 'the rules' you're already walking the path of the SS.

Quoting pamelax3:

What does war crime trials have to do with a cell phone at a church camp? 

Camps are normally for disconnecting for a while, it is not going to hurt anyone not to have a cell phone  

Quoting LindaClement:

A lot of SS officers believed that right up until their war crime trials...

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

A no cell phone rule is not going to harm anyone.  

Quoting LindaClement:

I object to stupid, dangerous, or arbitrary rules, on the basis that they're stupid or dangerous or arbitrary, the fact that they're 'rules' is irrelevant.

If no one challenges them because they are 'the rules' you're already walking the path of the SS.

Quoting pamelax3:

Camps are normally for disconnecting for a while, it is not going to hurt anyone not to have a cell phone  

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

This is still not about any no-cellphone rule: it's about not being allowed to contact the child.

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Well then I guess the child should not go  

Quoting LindaClement:

This is still not about any no-cellphone rule: it's about not being allowed to contact the child.

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Or, they could let anyone who wanted to call home every night.

I can't imagine why they could possibly object. It's at a summer camp, not the bottom of a cave on Mars. 

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

well then I suggest as "Bob"  did, find a pay phone and call home. Why should the rules be changed for one person? Makes no sense, if you are that worried about your kid keep them at home  

Quoting LindaClement:

I can't imagine why they could possibly object. It's at a summer camp, not the bottom of a cave on Mars. 

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

If there is no payphone on site, do they get a drive to the nearest one? 

The rule is 'no phone calls' ... mom objects. Simple answer: let the kid call home.

Problem?

Only imaginary ones.

Quoting pamelax3:

well then I suggest as "Bob"  did, find a pay phone and call home. Why should the rules be changed for one person? Makes no sense, if you are that worried about your kid keep them at home  

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Ouch!

But it's true...

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting pamelax3:

Rules are rules..

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

punching

Quoting AllofFive19:

Bob needs a smack-down.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

What is the church trying to hide? Why is it so against the rules children cannot call home?  "Bob" is not representing the church in the best light especially after all the negative publicity religious institutions have been receiving these days.  Most every camp allows (in fact encourages) the children to call home if not every day every other day.  This rule is not in the best interest of either child or parent.  A parent should not have to keep a child at home because of a rule that makes no sense.

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

butterfly on headlynda  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN