Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was this offensive? (Church related) Edit~

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Was what I said so offensive?

Options:

No, I don't think it was offensive at all.

Hmm...it was a little innapropriate.

Yes it was wrong. You shouldn't have said that about God.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 220

View Results

It turns out many of the other kids had phones. The other lady in charge was shocked that Bob would react that way. She understood how important it is for parents to be able to contact their kids and that she felt cell phones were a great idea. She then apologised and said if I allow Savannah to go to the camp this summer she'll make sure she brings her phone. I feel slightly better,lol.

My 13yo dd is going to camp with the church. They'll be gone for three days and she is soo excited :-) I'm sure she'll have a great time but there's just one problem. No cell phones are allowed. I told her no problem, as long as she's able to borrow one and give me a call at night it'll be fine.

So when I dropped her off yesterday I sought out her youth leader to confirm that she'll be able to call me.

Me: Hey Bob, I understand that no cell phones are allowed but I need to make sure that Savannah call call me at night to check in.

Bob: Well...I hope that there are some pay phones near by.

Me: *Raises eyebrow* Why can't she borrow an adults cell phone?

Bob: Well you see we discourage phone calls because we want the kids to focus on God.

Savannah: I'm just going to be calling her at night.

Bob: Isn't God with you at night?

Me: I don't care where God is. There's no way I'm going to go three days without speaking to my daughter. Can she use a phone or not?

At this point Bob looks like I kicked his dog. The whole group goes silent.

Bob murmurs: Interesting... Okay she can she my phone.

I leave the shocked silence of the group.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (591-600):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Why would the church be hiding something? If you are worried about your child being abused keep them home. If I read it correctly it did not say they could not call home, they said they could not have cell phones, big difference

Quoting tweety101149:

What is the church trying to hide? Why is it so against the rules children cannot call home?  "Bob" is not representing the church in the best light especially after all the negative publicity religious institutions have been receiving these days.  Most every camp allows (in fact encourages) the children to call home if not every day every other day.  This rule is not in the best interest of either child or parent.  A parent should not have to keep a child at home because of a rule that makes no sense.

Quoting pamelax3:

well then I suggest as "Bob"  did, find a pay phone and call home. Why should the rules be changed for one person? Makes no sense, if you are that worried about your kid keep them at home  

Quoting LindaClement:

Or, they could let anyone who wanted to call home every night.

I can't imagine why they could possibly object. It's at a summer camp, not the bottom of a cave on Mars. 

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Ok then 

Quoting paganbaby:

I have her check in because I like to touch base with my children when they are away from me for an extended period of time.

And no, if she wasn't able to call then she wouldn't have gone.

Quoting stormcris:

He may have agreed but honestly that is the norm and it is curious about this need to have her check in. Why do you have to have her check in? Would you have kept her home if there were no cell phones? 

TwinmomAlicia
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM
You could have stated your objection in a more diplomatic way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

And you read that sometimes pay phones are not available on the campsite. So imo, the church does not have their campers safety in mind to go out to use a pay phone.  Parents should not have to keep a child at home because of a rule that makes no sense.  If the church is afraid of the children using the phone too much they can lock the phones and have the designated phone time for parent call time.

Quoting pamelax3:

Why would the church be hiding something? If you are worried about your child being abused keep them home. If I read it correctly it did not say they could not call home, they said they could not have cell phones, big difference

Quoting tweety101149:

What is the church trying to hide? Why is it so against the rules children cannot call home?  "Bob" is not representing the church in the best light especially after all the negative publicity religious institutions have been receiving these days.  Most every camp allows (in fact encourages) the children to call home if not every day every other day.  This rule is not in the best interest of either child or parent.  A parent should not have to keep a child at home because of a rule that makes no sense.

Quoting pamelax3:

well then I suggest as "Bob"  did, find a pay phone and call home. Why should the rules be changed for one person? Makes no sense, if you are that worried about your kid keep them at home  

Quoting LindaClement:

I can't imagine why they could possibly object. It's at a summer camp, not the bottom of a cave on Mars. 

butterfly on headlynda  

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

The children can use a pay phone or an adult cell phone.. Why the need to take their own?  

Quoting tweety101149:

And you read that sometimes pay phones are not available on the campsite. So imo, the church does not have their campers safety in mind to go out to use a pay phone.  Parents should not have to keep a child at home because of a rule that makes no sense.  If the church is afraid of the children using the phone too much they can lock the phones and have the designated phone time for parent call time.

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

No, he didn't want her to call me at all.

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I could have but he didn't deserve it.

Quoting TwinmomAlicia:

You could have stated your objection in a more diplomatic way.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I had no issue with her not bringing her phone. I just wanted to know that she could use "a" phone to call me. He objected saying that they want kids to focus on God.

Quoting pamelax3:

The children can use a pay phone or an adult cell phone.. Why the need to take their own?  

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this
You were well within your rights to insist she have access to a phone. He was being very rude and pushy. What the heck was he talking about with the whole "isn't god with you at night" crap? What does that have to do with anything?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Linda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I wouldn't even blame the church --what are the rules intended to serve? 

The issue wasn't cellphones, it was calling home at all.

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured