Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is obedience training for the dog...or the owner?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 28 Replies
I'm planning on taking mine in a few weeks to a six week class. She'll be 9 months old by then. She's a German shepherd and she's been spayed. Will it be too late to benefit us? She's a little bit wild and has lots of personality. I admit I encourage it a little bit because, well, its entertaining. But I don't want anyone to ever get hurt, even unintentionally. She has a golden retriever brother to get rough with and shes great with my kids, 6 and 8.

I just want her to have good manners. Will I get that from obedience class when she's already 9 months old? I've already raised and mourned a German shepherd/husky mix who was also "spirited" but never hurt anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iggwhipped72
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM

It's never too late.  I'm taking our dog (who is turning 1 next month) and my son for the benefit of my son.

iggwhipped72
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM
What breed is your dog? Is he bothering your son or too playful?

Quoting quickbooksworm:

It's never too late.  I'm taking our dog (who is turning 1 next month) and my son for the benefit of my son.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gsmom9
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

my chihuahua has me trained.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

He's a Jack Russell mix.  The dog is fine.  It's the kid that needs obedience training.  If the dog is being good, the kid goes and gets him all hyper.  The dog will chew up action figures and Legos and I wish I could teach him to leave stuff alone (or drop it would be a great start) but ultimately the kid shouldn't be leaving his stuff out.  I do think that taking my son to obedience training will benefit him greatly because he'll learn more about how to interact with the dog in a structured environment with an authority figure.

Quoting iggwhipped72:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

bump

gammie
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this

They are never to old to learn manners just like people :)

SunFlower700
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

It's never too late to take your dog to obedience classes.  I've seen rescue dogs from 2 to 6 years old come in for classes when I assist.  Obedience classes are for the owner of the dog.  So that they will know exactly what to do and how to do it right for when you go home.  If you get there to classes and your dog is acting like a wild and playful fool, don't be embarrassed they do settle in after a couple of classes.

iggwhipped72
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I misread your first reply and thought your son was 1 for some reason! Lol, I'm going to bed!

Quoting quickbooksworm:

He's a Jack Russell mix.  The dog is fine.  It's the kid that needs obedience training.  If the dog is being good, the kid goes and gets him all hyper.  The dog will chew up action figures and Legos and I wish I could teach him to leave stuff alone (or drop it would be a great start) but ultimately the kid shouldn't be leaving his stuff out.  I do think that taking my son to obedience training will benefit him greatly because he'll learn more about how to interact with the dog in a structured environment with an authority figure.

Quoting iggwhipped72:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iggwhipped72
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Thanks! I'm trying to decide if I should take the kids. I know I should but they would stress me out. Maybe I could do the first three or four classes and then include the girls in the last 2.

Quoting SunFlower700:

It's never too late to take your dog to obedience classes.  I've seen rescue dogs from 2 to 6 years old come in for classes when I assist.  Obedience classes are for the owner of the dog.  So that they will know exactly what to do and how to do it right for when you go home.  If you get there to classes and your dog is acting like a wild and playful fool, don't be embarrassed they do settle in after a couple of classes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured