Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oprah Winfrey Network being sued for sexual discrimination

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

Oprah's Network Hit with Sex Discrimination Lawsuit

Feb 2, 2013 06:19 PM ET
by Sadie Gennis

Oprah Winfrey's network OWN is being sued by a former employee on the grounds of sex and pregnancy discrimination, The Hollywood Reporter reports.

Carolyn Hommel filed suit against OWN on Friday, claiming that she was replaced when she was forced to take medical leave while pregnant. Hommel was hired in 2010 as senior director of scheduling and acquisitions at the network. According to Hommel, she was on track to become vice president, but during her leave, her duties were given to a temporary employee. When she returned to the office, Hommel also claims that she was excluded from numerous meetings. A month after giving birth, on March 19, 2012, Hommel was fired.

After receiving encouragement, she applied for the vice president job, but Hommel claims that her former boss Michael Garner's performance review misrepresented her duties, making her seem under-qualified for the vice president position.

According to Hommel, these actions were a result of her pregnancy and ensuing medical leave. She is seeking unspecified damages.

How long would you be able to take medical leave before your employer might replace or fire you?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM

This happens everywhere. A friend of mine was just fired from Home Depot for being pregnant. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

This happens everywhere. A friend of mine was just fired from Home Depot for being pregnant. 

When I became pregnant with my first I was very careful to review what kind of time I could have off. I had acquired a lot of paid time off that I could use but I was more interested in what kind of time I would have to take after the birth.

I had co worker who broke her leg right at the beginning of the school year. She spoke to human resources and the principal. The principal told her to work out the details with human resources and to take the time she needed. She misunderstood what the principal said and arranged for time off. She had to come back after 4 weeks in order to keep her benefits. She had to come back in 6 weeks in order to keep her job. She took two months off and she was replaced. It was a massive mix of complete miscommunication that I believe was her own doing.

sissyboogs
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
With my last pregnancy, I had to take 12 weeks off...6 weeks before delivery due to pre-eclampsia, and then 6 weeks after delivery. I used FMLA for the first 6 weeks. I still had a job when I returned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I took 3 months off after I delivered. I still had a job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Depends on the position you have. If you are an essential employee that the company can not function without then you may lose your position while on medical leave, although the company is supposed to try to find you a comparable position when you return. If such a position exists.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
USBrit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM

If true................I am not surprised!

elliephant
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I was off a year with both pregnancies without worrying about losing my job. 

ArianEponae
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Twelve weeks for the exact position, a year for a position within the company
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

It doesn't say how long she was on medical leave.

I had to go on medical leave for over 6 months during the pregnancy with my second daughter.  As required by law, my job was waiting for me, as it should have been.  

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Where I live my job was protected by law for one year maternity leave. I also am protected in cases of illness and injury and qualify for paid time off in all instances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)